• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Musings Of The TV Show "Doc Martin"

I know, he is such a great actor!
I really get a kick out of seeing him in earlier, and very different roles. He really does have plenty of range as an actor. Though perhaps my favorite thing to see him as is himself when the cameras aren't running. He's a hoot, loves people and especially loves animals. And while in some scenes he can be a bit tough with the dogs, he always pays attention to them in between takes. But then last I heard, he and Philippa have at least four of them. And of course his interviews always seem funny and charming. A very nice man. :cool:

Did they explicitly state it, or did they just express their opinions?

I take the "devil's advocate" perspective because I have read a lot of posts (on this and other websites) of people diagnosing their heroes as being on the spectrum.

Why only the "good guys", and not the "bad guys"? Are some spectrumites so desperate for affirmation that they will hold up any popular icon as one of their own?

Why only the "good guys", and not the "bad guys"? Are some spectrumites so desperate for affirmation that they will hold up any popular icon as one of their own?
That's for someone else to answer I suppose. My point is that whether a production projects an autistic character as positive or negative, they all seem to deliberately dodge delving into the specifics and realities of autism. Most likely for admittedly understandable business purposes. And as previously discussed most of us probably agree in that this is still entertainment for profit and not an attempt at medical enlightenment.

Yet this may also leave stigmatization of autism remaining in a holding pattern, which continues to bother me. At least in the case of Martin Ellingham, he isn't portrayed as an outright savant, such as is the case of Freddie Highmore's portrayal in "The Good Doctor". Though on occasion that program has gotten into autism a number of times - and even OCD recently.

Ironically though the one thing I really fret about is Martin's precarious relationship with his NT wife. Which at times strikes too close to home for me. Not mention I'm quite a fan of Caroline Catz too. Of course to be so invested long term in this 10-season tv series remains quite a compliment. Most tv shows leave me a bit flat when it comes to caring or be interested in characters. Not so in this case.

Last edited:
I really get a kick out of seeing him in earlier, and very different roles. He really does have plenty of range as an actor. Though perhaps my favorite thing to see him as is himself when the cameras aren't running. He's a hoot, loves people and especially loves animals. And while in some scenes he can be a bit tough with the dogs, he always pays attention to them in between takes. But then last I heard, he and Philippa have at least four of them. And of course his interviews always seem funny and charming. A very nice man. :cool:
I love the way he interacts with that shaggy dog in the first season. So funny! He sounds like a cool guy in real life.

Did they explicitly state it, or did they just express their opinions?

I take the "devil's advocate" perspective because I have read a lot of posts (on this and other websites) of people diagnosing their heroes as being on the spectrum.
Doc Martin says it was discussed when he was a child, and several other characters bring it up at different points in the series. I Also, Martin Clunes did also say in at least one interview that he thinks the doctor is autistic.
Look at the preview comment on the thread link below. It’s in reference to a villain. There are other ones on there, too, who are bad guys.

So then, a definite "maybe" or "likely so".

I like the programme, but stopped watching sometime around the Martins' wedding episode.

Well, there you go! Fictional characters can only be suspected of being autistic, unless otherwise stated by the producers, directors, writers, or the actors themselves.

Personally, I see the Doc Martin character as an adult product of cold and indifferent parenting, rather than an intrinsically autistic person.

He has is tender moments.

In one of the early shows, Aunt Ruth was asked if Doc is on the spectrum and she adamantly denied it. She claimed his oddities resulted from really bad parenting. I guess part of the charm of the show is the very ambiguity that we've talking about here.

In one of the early shows, Aunt Ruth was asked if Doc is on the spectrum and she adamantly denied it. She claimed his oddities resulted from really bad parenting. I guess part of the charm of the show is the very ambiguity that we've talking about here.
Interesting. I must have missed that. The only episode (relatively early) I recalled where someone asked this of Martin was a character I don't believe appeared in another episode. Funny though that Auntie Ruth would have said that. But then it may have not been in the defense of just her nephew, but also herself.

After all, the quality of the dialogue is likely to be as sophisticated as real life. Where what is said does not necessarily coincide with how things actually are or appear to be. -Leaving us all to continually wonder.

I've enjoyed Auntie Ruth (Eileen Atkins) almost as much as Martin Clunes. Much more than Auntie Joan.

Can you recall anything else about this episode? I might be able to find it on Pluto...:cool:

Last edited:
I don't think we can really consider Dr. Martin Ellingham as truly a "bad guy". Taking into consideration that the writers have crafted him as an ogre when it comes to most interactions with the townspeople of Portwenn as patients, while at the same time he has successfully saved so many of their lives and properly treated them as well.

That there is a deliberate sense of balance that manages to round out who Martin Ellingham is. Though it won't stop me from occasionally cringing in how he deals with people, in particular his wife Louisa.

Another aspect of "balance" is to consider so many characters of Portwenn who have their own set of oddities, regardless of neurology. And Martin's own parents...oh my. Talk about dysfunctional trainwrecks!

Funny as well to consider all three of Dr. Ellingham's surgery receptionists. I'll avoid any adjectives to describe them, but they all seem to fit a similar "mold". And Bert Large, the town's lovable loser. In business, love and even parenting his son Al. Who between himself, Auntie Joan and Louisa Glasson seem like the only real "mainstream" persons in town. Constable Joe Penhale has his issues...as a harmless officer of the law. With a brother who was creating art forgeries right under Joe's nose. And Mrs. Tishell who quietly harbors wanting Dr. Ellingham all to herself.

Last edited:
I don't think we can really consider Dr. Martin Ellingham as truly a "bad guy".
Agreed. He's just a crusty curmudgeon who may be "on the spectrum".

But to paraphrase another fine Englishman: "Isn't it enough to enjoy the character's personality without imagining autism at the bottom of it too?"

;)

I've watched this British comedy-drama tv series for years. Though over time some things continue to puzzle me. I see it as kind of a Cornish version of the popular American tv series, "Northern Exposure". A quaint story of a small community with a lot of odd characters.

The shows title character Dr. Martin Ellingham (Martin Clunes) is obviously depicted as an autistic professional, remaining an amazingly good doctor/diagnostician who continues to evade who and what he is. Made worse in a production where only in a single episode where someone told him they thought he was on the spectrum of autism and was promptly ignored. Yet the question remains is this purely because of his professional ego, or a fragile refusal to deal with the reality of who and what he is? Taking into account that only on very rare occasions would he expose himself in a highly emotional state.

One aspect of this series that has always made me uncomfortable remains Martin's inability to be kind even to the woman he loves, Louisa Glasson (Caroline Catz). She seems so even-tempered and desperate to get along with Martin, while occasionally exploding at him to bluntly remind him of just how unpopular he is with the village they live and work in, called Portwenn. Where so often such interactions between the two of them are downright painful to observe. Reminding me on occasion of some of my own faux-pas when it comes to dealing with NT lovers.

One source of amusement otherwise though continues to be with Martin's Auntie Ruth (Eileen Atkins) who is a forensic psychologist and a bit more amicable to Martin as opposed to his deceased Auntie Joan. Though the big difference I see between Ruth and NT-Joan (who left the cast some years ago) is that Ruth Ellingham is also autistic, yet her social interactions with the villagers always seem considerably more pleasant than that of her nephew Martin. Still, I find the difference between the two rather amusing.

Yet the show has continued to a tenth and final season (I have yet to see) where the issue of autism itself remains elusive to the production. Kind of reminding me in a negative way of creators Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady of the series "The Big Bang Theory". Where the creators seem to continually dance around the subject of autism to escape crticism and keep their fans guessing. I suppose this will always annoy me when it comes to the series "Doc Martin". That not directly addressing autism even in jest seems yet another way to unintentionally stigmatize autism. Too bad. I guess another thing that irritates me is that actor Martin Clunes portrays his character so well. Making his fictional Dr. Martin Ellingham very real to me. Though in this respect I also take into account the series' producer (Phillippa Braithwaite) is also Martin Clunes' real-life wife. I'd love to ask either or them exactly what precisely motivates them to continually avoid the issue of autism itself, while portraying it so well. Or was it merely marketing/political implications that creators/writers like Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady sought to avoid to keep the show's public relations above repproach?

I loved Doc Martin so much when I first found it years ago. My life revolved around watching every episode and waiting for the next one. I don’t know if I have ever loved anything as much, such wonderful memories. I related to him very much. I wish they had talked about autism more too.

But to paraphrase another fine Englishman: "Isn't it enough to enjoy the character's personality without imagining autism at the bottom of it too?"

IMO it's too critical for media to enlighten the public rather than merely entertain them. I'd much rather have the public laughing with us than laughing at us.

But then I've always had the impression that Great Britain is considerably more civil about autism compared to the United States and in so many ways.

Last edited:
Interesting. I must have missed that. The only episode (relatively early) I recalled where someone asked this of Martin was a character I don't believe appeared in another episode. Funny though that Auntie Ruth would have said that. But then it may have not been in the defense of just her nephew, but also herself.

After all, the quality of the dialogue is likely to be as sophisticated as real life. Where what is said does not necessarily coincide with how things actually are or appear to be. -Leaving us all to continually wonder.

I've enjoyed Auntie Ruth (Eileen Atkins) almost as much as Martin Clunes. Much more than Auntie Joan.

Can you recall anything else about this episode? I might be able to find it on Pluto...:cool:

I'll look for the episode and let you know. I have the series on DVD and it also may be on Netflix or BritBox.

I like Aunt Ruth, too. Remember when Martin walked in on Aunt Joan "getting it on" with some guy on top of her kitchen table? The look on Martin's face was hilarious.

Apparently Roo from Winnie the Pooh is autistic even though he shows 0 traits.

Another character actually mentioned Asperger's syndrome to Doc Martin in an episode.

I don't think we can really consider Dr. Martin Ellingham as truly a "bad guy". Taking into consideration that the writers have crafted him as an ogre when it comes to most interactions with the townspeople of Portwenn as patients, while at the same time he has successfully saved so many of their lives and properly treated them as well.

That there is a deliberate sense of balance that manages to round out who Martin Ellingham is. Though it won't stop me from occasionally cringing in how he deals with people, in particular his wife Louisa.

Another aspect of "balance" is to consider so many characters of Portwenn who have their own set of oddities, regardless of neurology. And Martin's own parents...oh my. Talk about dysfunctional trainwrecks!

Funny as well to consider all three of Dr. Ellingham's surgery receptionists. I'll avoid any adjectives to describe them, but they all seem to fit a similar "mold". And Bert Large, the town's lovable loser. In business, love and even parenting his son Al. Who between himself, Auntie Joan and Louisa Glasson seem like the only real "mainstream" persons in town. Constable Joe Penhale has his issues...as a harmless officer of the law. With a brother who was creating art forgeries right under Joe's nose. And Mrs. Tishell who quietly harbors wanting Dr. Ellingham all to herself.

The first receptionist was the best, IMO. I don't know her name but have seen her in numerous serious British productions. All the receptionists' clothing and hair arrangements are hilarious. Like a trainwreck, you can't stop looking. ;)

The first receptionist was the best, IMO. I don't know her name but have seen her in numerous serious British productions. All the receptionists' clothing and hair arrangements are hilarious. Like a trainwreck, you can't stop looking. ;)
LOL...like I said, I'll refrain from providing any adjectives to describe them. Gotta love all that garish costume jewelry though....:eek:

But for some reason I kind of find Morwenna endearing. My bad....lol.

Last edited:
I've been binge watching the first 6 seasons of Doc Martin which I have on DVD. I'd forgotten how funny the show is.

Aunt Ruth first appears at Auntie Joan's funeral, in season 5, episode 2, I think. She tells Louisa at the funeral that she is not good at small talk because her upbringing "gifted" her with a chronic case of social awkwardness, that she has middle-child syndrome, a distant mother, an overbearing father, and a succession of quasi-sexual encounters at a very young age that cause her to either alienate others or to overshare information.

Some actor and production staff interviews are included on the DVD for season 6. In those interviews, Martin Clunes said that Doc Martin is weird because he grew up loathed by his parents and the sad little boy inside him comes out a lot. The actors who play Martin's mother and Aunt Ruth said the same thing - that Martin had a terrible childhood. The only actor who mentioned autism is the guy who plays Al Large. He said that Martin may be a "little autistic" and probably is on the spectrum somewhere.

I think the major reason behind the charm and humor of the show is that Martin actually says what everyone else is thinking. NTs think the same things as Martin but have been taught to be polite and not say what they really think.

I'll continue watching the DVDs to see if there are other insights into what the writers and creators were thinking. Sadly, season 10 is the last. They aren't making any more shows.

The only actor who mentioned autism is the guy who plays Al Large. He said that Martin may be a "little autistic" and probably is on the spectrum somewhere.

Was this in the same episode as when they had the funeral (trainwreck) for Auntie Joan? The one where Auntie Ruth shows up who seems autistic, but in more control compared to her nephew Martin. Yet she is far more forgiving about it all. One of my favorite characters, apart from Eileen Atkins being another "top drawer" British actor. I could say the same about Ian McNiece, although I can't stand Bert Large...lol.

Al Large is certainly not the bumbler that is his father Bert. And at times he can be quite insightful, despite his choice in the surgery's receptionists...lol. Loved the episode where an American tourist wandered into Mrs. Tishell's pharmacy and it was Sigourney Weaver. :cool:

I tried to get my cousin to watch the show, but she didn't care for it. Accents bother her....go figure. :rolleyes:

Was this in the same episode as when they had the funeral (trainwreck) for Auntie Joan? The one where Auntie Ruth shows up who seems autistic, but in more control compared to her nephew Martin. Yet she is far more forgiving about it all. One of my favorite characters, apart from Eileen Atkins being another "top drawer" British actor. I could say the same about Ian McNiece, although I can't stand Bert Large...lol.

Al Large is certainly not the bumbler that is his father Bert. And at times he can be quite insightful, despite his choice in the surgery's receptionists...lol. Loved the episode where an American tourist wandered into Mrs. Tishell's pharmacy and it was Sigourney Weaver. :cool:

I tried to get my cousin to watch the show, but she didn't care for it. Accents bother her....go figure. :rolleyes:

The Al Large actor said it in a media interview about the show. The interviews are included with the episodes of season 6 on the DVDs. He also said that his role is not very challenging for him because he grew up near Port Isaac in Cornwall and his personna in real life is much like Al, so he doesn't really have to "act" like Martin Clunes and the other actors do. He just plays himself as he really is.

Yes, I remember the Sigourney Weaver episode. Didn't expect HER to turn up!

Funny about accents - I watch a lot of BBC productions and understand most of what they say, without need for subtitles. Although I did recently google "tosser" to see what it means. ;) I like listening to British accents.

If you ever get a chance, watch Foyle's War, an excellent series about a police detective during WWII who becomes a MI-6 Cold War operative after WWII. One of the best series I've ever watched.

The Al Large actor said it in a media interview about the show. The interviews are included with the episodes of season 6 on the DVDs. He also said that his role is not very challenging for him because he grew up near Port Isaac in Cornwall and his personna in real life is much like Al, so he doesn't really have to "act" like Martin Clunes and the other actors do. He just plays himself as he really is.

Bummer, I was hoping to hear it as part of the dialogue. I know it's spoken of off camera though. I rather enjoy all the behind-the-scenes production videos that were made of Doc Martin.
Funny about accents - I watch a lot of BBC productions and understand most of what they say, without need for subtitles. Although I did recently google "tosser" to see what it means. ;) I like listening to British accents.

Funny to hear them talk off camera about how none of the cast actually speaks with a Cornish accent.
If you ever get a chance, watch Foyle's War, an excellent series about a police detective during WWII who becomes a MI-6 Cold War operative after WWII. One of the best series I've ever watched.

Oh yeah, I've seen it. Loved it. Also saw "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and "Smiley's People". :cool:

New Threads

Top Bottom