• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Music Inside My Head

Desiree W

Music is a big part of my life. I like many different genres. It's very cathartic for me. I express myself through it often. Sometimes, a song will pop into my head and I'll hum and/or dance a little. Oh boy, when I'm in a store and hear one of my faves, it's on then LOL. I find myself getting lost in music a lot. My mind drifts off into another world. I've lost track of time on many occasions. The point is whether I physically hear a song or whether it's all my head, it brings me to another world, often a happy place. Does anyone feel that they get lost in music too?

Music, imagination. As a kid I would joke that I have a radio in my head. Just the more interesting and creative kind. I would be told to stop humming or singing, though now I just don't care. It's a too big part of me to just throw it away.

Music, imagination. As a kid I would joke that I have a radio in my head. Just the more interesting and creative kind. I would be told to stop humming or singing, though now I just don't care. It's a too big part of me to just throw it away.
I've had some people tell me to stop humming or singing too. People would often think I was weird anyway. I just try not to hum/sing too loud. I don't care much either. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

Absolutely it is the only thing which keeps me [relatively] sane. I get much more from certain music than just what I am hearing, difficult to put into words its almost like a biological reaction really.

I love music I wouldn't know what to do without it... I don't really "imagine" anything just too logical I guess... I just absorb it. My favorite thing is to pick out, and separate the instruments in my head. I tend to hone in on that one instrument, then replay it, and pick another and so on. I can do this for hours... I do it all the time. I care nothing about television, or going to the movies, unless its a true story or something educational and even still that is very seldom. However, my life would be so empty without music. : )

There's always music playing in my brain! Its one of the greatest releases and distractions from this chaotic, noisy world we live in. I don't know if I could ever live without it.

Same here, music plays a very important role in my life. For me it's a stim, I like the sensory imput, that's why I like prog rock and music with a lot going on, or kind of dreamy folk music that transports you to another world.

There's always music playing in my brain! Its one of the greatest releases and distractions from this chaotic, noisy world we live in. I don't know if I could ever live without it.
That's the way I feel too.
I use it to calm myself and also the ambient type to get to sleep as it shuts the constant brain chatter down so I can sleep.

I've asked other people if they have songs/music constantly in their brains without even thinking about it.
It's just there unless I am stressed and really concentrating on something- like worrying.
Most say no they don't. A few though say they do.
Yes, it is like having a radio in the brain.

Guess that's where the name Radio Heads came from.
:D

I depend on music (not lyrics) for all kinds of things.
Many of which are to cope.

If I'm not working out a problem, replaying a conversation/situation to ponder, I will have parts of a tune or tunes playing in my mind.
It's rarely quiet up there.

I learned in treatment that music operates on the same reward pathways as drugs/alcohol by involuntarily evoking memories associated with certain feelings. That's why music makes you feel stuff, and that's what I use music for. Different songs/types of music to stir different, easily-differentiated emotions to be enjoyed like a chocolate bar, without all the calories ;)

I depend on music (not lyrics) for all kinds of things.
Many of which are to cope.

If I'm not working out a problem, replaying a conversation/situation to ponder, I will have parts of a tune or tunes playing in my mind.
It's rarely quiet up there.

I totally agree on "not Lyrics"... Sometimes the lyrics are just like watching a sad movie in my head. I like all sorts of music including music with lyrics, but if I'm down and depressed I steer clear of depressing music especially country music... Good grief at the whaling and moaning in some of those pitiful cheating, getting drunk, woe is me songs... Geez... : )

I love music. I usually wear headphones when I'm out in public, to help me feel more relaxed, but catchy tunes in supermarkets work as well. I get strange looks for doing tiny pirouettes and jumps while shopping for my groceries, but people mostly just smile at me because I appear to be having a good time.

New Threads

Top Bottom