• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Muh ha ha! I have them all fooled! Oh wait... Help I don't know what I'm doing!

PinkPenguin29

Some point amidst Covid I went to work as a housekeeper at a senior Apartment/memory care facility. initially I took this job because it paid significantly more than what I was making and the hours that were proposed to me would allow me plenty of time to work on school. My supervisor at the time, the head housekeeper, I slowly learned over the months had some heavy personal issues and basically drove nearly everyone who worked under her to quit. I could write a novel worth of a post on just her alone, but lets just all understand she wasn't a good supervisor. at some point she injured herself and had to go on leave, and my supervisor's supervisor, the lead maintenance guy had to be in charge of our department. That guy was kinda overworked and didn't have time to really manage our department and kinda let us to our own devices. Which doesn't work because tasks around the building need to be delegated. So I kinda sheepishly would bring up every morning, "hey I think we should do this...." and weirdly my coworkers listened to me. At one point one coworker confided in me that she was distressed about the area she was working on (she was assigned the toughest part of the building where people die on a daily basis), and I was weirdly the one communicating this to the maintenance guy on her behalf.
At some point our supervisor came back and my coworkers were all ready to quit because of some drama she had started back up. luckily for them she ended up giving notice within a month of coming back, and instead of leaving in two weeks like she told management she just didn't show up the next day.
That next day as I'm headed to the morning meeting I'm yanked aside by upper management and kinda literally backed in the corner being asked if I want to be lead house keeper. No absolutely not. But if I didn't take it then they would look for some one on the outside, because they were not considering none of the other housekeepers and If I didn't take it we would have to put up with some new person nonsense. My other thought was, at the very least I can't be worse than the previous supervisor and I could attempt to make things better for the people I knew worked hard but got no recognition.

Id like to take a point to mention that only one other coworker at this time knows I'm on the spectrum, and had I known id be her supervisor I wouldn't of told her.
I don't have good communication skills, people at work noticed I'm off in my own world most of the time, and I won't notice when someone is talking directly at me sometimes. Yet upper management seems to be unaware.
I've been head housekeeper for almost two months, people keep telling me I'm doing an Amazing job, and I honestly have no idea how to respond to that. One thing upper management keeps praising me on is "You tell it like it is!" and I'm just here thinking to myself, I don't really know how to do it any other way, I'm a it's a fact or it's not a fact person, and I have a really hard time with in between. I also did this thing where I fixed there schedules to be more balanced so that people have more time to do their job properly and management is way too impressed.
I'm wondering if they have a really low bar, or if I'm good at managing? I honestly feel like an imposter every day. The previous supervisor was ridiculously bad, so by comparison I'm amazing? what I'm worried about is at some point the illusion will shatter. they have noticed I am prone to have extra anxiety when stuff doesn't go right. I don't know how to keep this charade up much longer. Does anyone else feel like this? Does this make any sense?

Congratulations. It seem management thinks you are doing better. You also seem to have solved some of the issues. I am not sure how to make you feel better, but keep working on this. People seem to appreciate it and the more you do this, the better you will become. Sometimes we simply need to take the gifts we are given and be thankful for them.

I'm very happy for you! I say just let things be and ride that wave as long as you can. You seem to be in a good position where everyone around is happy with your work and the people are easy to get along with. And that position just requires some common sense, something you seem to have plenty of. No job will last forever but I think you should stay with this as long as you can. When and if things do go south, you have a good resume going for another supervisor job.

Meanwhile you can laugh all the way to the bank with your head housekeeper's pay check in your hand! Rock...and...ROLL!

Congrats! One can have good management skills even while on the spectrum, which you sure do seem to have a natural skill of it to me. I don't think your employers have a really low bar, your coworkers seem to extremely like you managing things even since only one of them does know that you're on the spectrum. Since your last supervisor was bad, that probably just all the more helps your current position, and I am so glad you're in a job like that.

Some point amidst Covid I went to work as a housekeeper at a senior Apartment/memory care facility. initially I took this job because it paid significantly more than what I was making and the hours that were proposed to me would allow me plenty of time to work on school. My supervisor at the time, the head housekeeper, I slowly learned over the months had some heavy personal issues and basically drove nearly everyone who worked under her to quit. I could write a novel worth of a post on just her alone, but lets just all understand she wasn't a good supervisor. at some point she injured herself and had to go on leave, and my supervisor's supervisor, the lead maintenance guy had to be in charge of our department. That guy was kinda overworked and didn't have time to really manage our department and kinda let us to our own devices. Which doesn't work because tasks around the building need to be delegated. So I kinda sheepishly would bring up every morning, "hey I think we should do this...." and weirdly my coworkers listened to me. At one point one coworker confided in me that she was distressed about the area she was working on (she was assigned the toughest part of the building where people die on a daily basis), and I was weirdly the one communicating this to the maintenance guy on her behalf.
At some point our supervisor came back and my coworkers were all ready to quit because of some drama she had started back up. luckily for them she ended up giving notice within a month of coming back, and instead of leaving in two weeks like she told management she just didn't show up the next day.
That next day as I'm headed to the morning meeting I'm yanked aside by upper management and kinda literally backed in the corner being asked if I want to be lead house keeper. No absolutely not. But if I didn't take it then they would look for some one on the outside, because they were not considering none of the other housekeepers and If I didn't take it we would have to put up with some new person nonsense. My other thought was, at the very least I can't be worse than the previous supervisor and I could attempt to make things better for the people I knew worked hard but got no recognition.

Id like to take a point to mention that only one other coworker at this time knows I'm on the spectrum, and had I known id be her supervisor I wouldn't of told her.
I don't have good communication skills, people at work noticed I'm off in my own world most of the time, and I won't notice when someone is talking directly at me sometimes. Yet upper management seems to be unaware.
I've been head housekeeper for almost two months, people keep telling me I'm doing an Amazing job, and I honestly have no idea how to respond to that. One thing upper management keeps praising me on is "You tell it like it is!" and I'm just here thinking to myself, I don't really know how to do it any other way, I'm a it's a fact or it's not a fact person, and I have a really hard time with in between. I also did this thing where I fixed there schedules to be more balanced so that people have more time to do their job properly and management is way too impressed.
I'm wondering if they have a really low bar, or if I'm good at managing? I honestly feel like an imposter every day. The previous supervisor was ridiculously bad, so by comparison I'm amazing? what I'm worried about is at some point the illusion will shatter. they have noticed I am prone to have extra anxiety when stuff doesn't go right. I don't know how to keep this charade up much longer. Does anyone else feel like this? Does this make any sense?
You found something you are good at silly. Now now you need to keep continuing to be amazing everyday and awesome in every way. Plz remember it is ok to keep notes, only never let the work ppl see your notebook, it stays home.

Another success story at the forum. You aren't an imposter. Maybe turn off that negative recording. It feels weird to get positive feedback and yes, tweak your thinking that maybe you discovered your superhero skill set that is required to run and manage efficiently. You had the bonus starting from the ground up which gave you a heads up in assessing how to tweak schedules, etc.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

Being able to keep everything running smoothly is underrated by many, and in this case, it seems by yourself.
You've got it, so just keep at it! :)

Congrats! However, I'm not at all surprised you find yourself in this position. It happened to me too and in my case the manager who asked me was not a very good manager himself. No one else thought it was a good idea and and never took the offer seriously. I don't see am harm in giving it a try. It will probably be easy at first since you have gained the respect of your supervisor and workers.

Muah, ha ha harr...

Just keep on doing what you were doing before anyone highlighted & paid attention to your obvious capability and officially offered you the responsibility.

If you could handle the tasks and delegate the work with only one colleague aware of your ASD, what's changed?
You're still the same person you were a month ago :)

New Threads

Top Bottom