• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Movies you think people 'should' watch at least once...

AGXStarseed

Have you ever watched a film and think that everyone should see it at least once? If so, here's a thread for you to put down the films you think deserve at least one watch.
Put down whatever reasons you like for suggesting it and have a look through to see what other people think is worthy of at least one viewing.

I'll put down a few which I think are worth a look.

1. The Original Star Wars Trilogy: Might as well start off with something we've all heard of - an epic fantasy drama switched to a sci-fi setting with a group of heroes trying to defeat the evil Empire - with the first three Star Wars movies ever made arguably still the best. That said, I'm pretty sure the majority of us have encountered at least one person who has 'never seen Star Wars'. I myself met one girl in college who had never seen it and apparently actress/comedian Catherine Tate has never seen them either ( 12:08 onwards ).
In this case, I think the original films (A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi) are worth at least one look, even if you're not a big sci-fi fan.

2. The Secret of NIMH: Based on the 1971 children's book "Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH" by Robert C. O'Brien, this animated movie by Don Bluth (An American Tail, The Land Before Time, All Dogs Go To Heaven, etc.) is his first and arguably strongest work yet it often flies under the radar in comparison to his other films.
The movie is about a field mouse named Mrs Brisby (name changed due to trademark concerns with Frisbee discs), whose home is under threat from a farmer's plow but cannot move as her youngest son Timmy has pneumonia - with the cold air likely to kill him if he goes outside. Seeking help, she is directed to go to the Rats of NIMH - a group of rats who, due to scientific experiments, have become potentially more intelligent than humans and have both formed their own society and developed unique abilities. With them, she not only discovers that they have the means to save her home and family, but also finds out the fate of her late husband Johnathan - whom the Rats mysteriously hold in high regard.
The movie differs from the book in a few ways, most notably placing more of an emphasis on Mrs Brisby and having magic (which wasn't present in the book), but it's still a great film that - despite been made for children - treats its audience like adults.
Just make sure you stay away from the sequel - that was terrible.

3. The Prince of Egypt: Another animated movie that, while popular when it first came out, isn't really talked about that much nowadays. I should also point out that I don't watch this movie for the religious elements (my belief is a general spiritual one rather than been part of a religion) but rather just because I think it's a good movie.
The film - based on the Book of Exodus story about Moses (an individual who appears in Christianity, Judaism and Islam) - takes some historical and artistic license with the story but still tries to remain true to the story's values, integrity and essence, depicting Moses as the son of a Hebrew slave who is adopted by the Pharaoh Seti and becomes the brother of Rameses II; both brothers unaware of Moses' true heritage. However, Moses discovers that he is a Hebrew and eventually is appointed by God to save his people; leading him to ultimately and regretfully face his brother Rameses and unleash the various plagues on Egypt when Rameses stubbornly refuses to let the Hebrews go as he states he will not be the 'weak link' that his father once called him.
The idea of Moses and Rameses been brothers who are forced by fate to battle each other (even though you can see that both just want to stop fighting and be a family again) is a great idea and the movie tries its best to really create the biblical size and scope of its source material. Some people might be put off by the songs and/or the celebrity voices, but I think the movie is at least worth one look.

4. Amazing Grace: A historical story from my part of the world which I've mentioned a couple of times in other posts.
The film details the story of William Wilberforce, an English Politician who lived between 1759 and 1833 and who became one of the leaders of a political movement that sought to abolish slavery throughout the British Empire (a movement they eventually succeeded in). The film takes some liberties with history but I still think it works, while the film's title is named after the famous song - which funnily enough was written by John Newton; a former slave-trader turned Anglican clergyman and abolitionist who, in the movie and in real life, became a mentor and father-figure to William Wilberforce during his battle to end slavery.

5. Joyeux Noël: A Christmas film based on a true story that sadly hasn't got a lot of coverage, but I feel certainly deserves it. The film is set in France in 1914 during WWI, with Scottish, French and German troops all fighting in the trenches. On the night of Christmas Eve, however, they all agree to a ceasefire - with the men leaving their trenches, sharing pictures of their loved ones and even holding a mass. However, this results in problems later as the opposing troops continue meeting after the ceasefire, with it becoming more difficult for them to do their duty as they become friends with the people they previously called enemies.
It's a touching story and worth a watch in my opinion.

6. Threads: Ending on a sour note here but it's definitely warranted with this controversial movie, which easily fits the "watch-once-then-never-again" archetype.
Set in Sheffield in 1984, this BBC television movie focuses on two families and how their lives are changed as hostilities between the United States and the Soviet Union heat up dramatically; resulting in nuclear war. The film not only explores the initial aftermath when Sheffield and the rest of the UK is hit, but goes as far as 13 years onward to show the effects on society - explaining the short and long term effects on medical treatment, agriculture, food/water supplies, education, crime and on the psychology of those who try to survive after the bomb drops.
In comparison to another TV movie about Nuclear War which came out a year earlier - ABC's The Day After - Threads is often considered the superior of the two, with its initial broadcast marked by introductions in both the UK and the USA warning viewers about its contents.
Threads is a well-made yet horrible film that delves into a subject matter than many of us never want to experience. Despite this, I still recommend you try to watch it once, if never again afterwards.

So, do you guys have any films you think are worth at least one watch?

Last edited:
Everybody has different tastes, so no, there isn't any movie I think everyone should watch. As an example, except for one or two of the Star Wars films, I haven't seen any of the movies you mention, and I have absolutely no interest in seeing them. In fact, the Star Wars movies were pretty much a waste of my time.

I agree that movies are very much a matter of taste... what works for one person might not work for everyone. Here are my recommendations: I've chosen them because they explore interesting ideas beyond their time, alternative realities, or make you re-examine or think more about the world and society you live in, beyond the mundane.

1. Planet of the Apes (1968) (sci fi).
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063442/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
2. Space Odyssey 2001 (1968) (sci fi)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/?ref_=nv_sr_1
3. Fantastic Voyage (1966). (sci fi)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060397/?ref_=nv_sr_1
4. Threads (1984) (post-apocalyptic drama)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090163/?ref_=nv_sr_1
5. The Truman Show (1998) (drama)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120382/?ref_=nv_sr_1
6. Rabbit Proof Fence (2002) (drama)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0252444/?ref_=nv_sr_1
7. Die Welle (The Wave) (2008) drama/thriller
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1063669/?ref_=nv_sr_1
8. Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972) historical drama.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068182/?ref_=nv_sr_1
9. Die Bruecke (The bridge) (1959) war drama.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052654/
10. Life Of Brian (1979) - comedy, Monty Python.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079470/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The Black Hole (1979 Disney sci fi movie)
Lion King 1 and 2.
Never Ending Story (just the first one, the 2 sequels were a bit naff)
Original Star Wars trilogy (in their original form if possible, not the "special editions")
ET: The Extra Terrestrial
Star Trek (All of the original cast movies except Star Trek IV, the one with the Whales)
Enter the Dragon (Bruce Lee's last film before he died)
Original Karate Kid trilogy
The Big Boss (arguably Bruce Lee's first and best movie)
Akira (Japanese anime')
The Terminator
Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Not for the sake of entertainment, These movies have affected me profoundly, 1 gives me gratitude for my life, Reminds me that most of the world most of history has not had it so well, I think it's important to have a dose of reality once in a while

Hotel Rwanda,
Sophie's Choice,
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas,
the diary of Anne Frank,
Schindler's List,
last king of Scotland

Johnny Got His Gun
Paths Of Glory
Seven Days In May
Rollerball (1975)
The Best Man (1964)
David And Lisa
The Snake Pit
Mozart And The Whale
Snow Cake
Twelve Years A Slave
In The Name Of The Father
The Execution Of Private Slovik
Syriana
Quiz Show
Network
Shenandoah
Farewell To Manzanar
Twelve Angry Men
The Defiant Ones (1958)
All Quiet On The Western Front (1930 and 1979)
The Miracle Worker
The Outsider (1961)
Black Like Me (1964)
Fahrenheit 451
Fail Safe (1964)
Breach
Testament
The Day After
The Last Emperor
Empire Of The Sun
Platoon
Coming Home
The Killing Fields
Apollo 13
Gravity
The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter
A Patch Of Blue
King Rat
Hitler: The Rise Of Evil
A War Of Children
Holocaust
Hawaii
All The Presidents Men
Selma
Playing For Time
Three Came Home (1950)
The Ugly American
Judgment At Nuremberg (1961)
I Want To Live
Philadelphia
The Flim-Flam Man
Lord Of The Flies (1963)
The Elephant Man
Gattaca
THX1138
Prometheus
The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
The Big Chill
The Oxbow Incident (1943)

Last edited:
The Secret of Nimh
The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe
The Hobbit Movies
Alice in Wonderland
Beauty and the Beast - The one with actors
Cinderella - New version combining actors and animation

These may be children classed, but, they have a deeper meaning than the entertainment value.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All Star Trek Movies with the original cast plus
Generations which merged the original cast with The Next Generation crew.

I grew up a Trekkie. So it is only "logical" I would like these.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Green Mile - Metaphysical pluse human nature portrayed.
Avatar - See it in 3D. Beautiful colours plus I like Sci-Fi
Of Mice and Men - Realistic
Knowing - metaphysical sci-fi
The Abyss - Sci-fi and human nature.
Last Vegas - very funny adult humour
All X- Men movies - Wolverine is favourite.
Lucy - all is one theory.
Contact - philosophical but incorporates science.

As you see, I am a Sci-fi fan.

For those who share similar taste as me there are certain "must see" movies. Either me recommending to them or they to me. It's kinda like being in a club.

Village of the damned (1961)?
Voyage of the damned(1976)
The enchanted cottage ( 1945 )
Arsenic and old Lace ( 1944 )

Gone with the wind
Casablanca
City Lights
The Pawnbroker
Metropolis
The Thin man
Raging Bull
Shaun of the dead
Fargo
Lawrence of Arabia
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Godfather
Shawshank Redemption
The Pianist
Bread and Tulips
The Constant Gardener
Harry Brown
Life of Brian

A few more from me:

When The Wind Blows: Similar to Threads as both focus on individuals trying to survive in the aftermath of a nuclear war between the United States and the Soviet Union. Based on the graphic novel by Raymond Briggs (The Snowman, The Bear, Father Christmas, Fungus the Bogeyman, etc.), the story is set int he 1980's and focuses on an elderly couple - Jim and Hilda - as they learn that Britain is likely to be attacked by Soviet forces with nuclear weapons, with them using the woefully inaccurate "Protect and Survive" information provided by the government to build a shelter. While the pair do survive the bomb drop, the film remains focused on them while they struggle to survive and slowly succumb to radiation sickness.
While Threads was definitely the scarier film and left me feeling numb after watching, this film was the more emotionally gripping and left me in tears by the end of it.
Like with Threads, however, I still recommend a watch of When the Wind Blows - with an additional note that its theme song is sung by the late David Bowie.

The Iron Giant: While differing a lot from its source material, this animated movie from Steven Spielberg about a boy who befriends a giant alien robot is funny, interesting and touching, with good performances throughout and some great animation.
I also find it funny that's its another movie featuring Vin Diesel (the voice of the Iron Giant) where he's playing a character who will become memorable and instantly recognizable, despite the fact he barely says anything throughout.
With the Iron Giant making a reappearance in the recent Spielberg movie "Ready Player One" and battling against MechaGodzilla in that movie, now's a good time to see this one.

New Threads

Top Bottom