• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Movies that you would have liked to see been made...

Although I'm not really into football [soccer], I was really moved by Fabrice Muamba's near-death incident. For those who don't know, Muamba was playing for Bolton Wanderers as a midfielder when he suffered a cardiac arrest during a match against Tottenham Hotspur. He survived - despite being clinically dead for over an hour - largely thanks to the timely intervention of an off-duty cardiologist from among the Spurs fans. This cardiologist, Dr Andrew Deaner, not only assisted with the CPR but persuaded the ambulance crew to take Muamba to his workplace the London Chest Hospital, where he got stuck in - quite literally! In his own words: We went straight into the lab and I put a bigger line into a vein under his shoulder blade and quickly scrubbed up. We got access to arteries and a bigger vein and carried on giving shocks and drugs.

Here are some news reports from the time:
Fabrice Muamba was 'dead' for 78 minutes - Bolton doctor (includes video interviews with some of the doctors involved)
78 minutes in the life (and near death) of Fabrice Muamba (includes the aforementioned quote from Dr Deaner, goes into a lot of medical nitty-gritty)
A horrific night, but one that has united as all as a football family (firsthand account by Muamba's team-mate Benoit Assou-Ekotto)
Fabrice Muamba makes emotional return to White Hart Lane

Perhaps the incident is not in itself sufficient for a feature-length film, but I suppose you could pad it out with Muamba's back-story as a refugee from the war-torn Democratic Republic of Congo (cf his autobiography).

Last edited:
I remember a story they did on bBC Look and Read in the early 80's called Dark Towers, it was a great story, all the episodic parts are on YouTube, but they could still make the whole thing into a film, remember that big bloke who played Chewbacca in most of the Star Wars movies? He played the Tall Knight in it.

I remember a story they did on bBC Look and Read in the early 80's called Dark Towers, it was a great story, all the episodic parts are on YouTube, but they could still make the whole thing into a film, remember that big bloke who played Chewbacca in most of the Star Wars movies? He played the Tall Knight in it.

Yeah, that was a good show. :D
Here's episode 1 of 10 for anyone who is interested:

Superman vs. Spider-Man (Feature Film)
In the early 1970's, literary agent and author David Obst approached Marvel Comic's publisher Stan Lee and DC Comic's Editorial director Carmine Infantino about producing a feature film that had both DC's Superman and Marvel's Spider-Man together. While the two companies working together wasn't a new concept (they had previously worked together to create a comic book adaptation of The Wizard of Oz), the idea of a movie featuring the two heroes was rejected because Marvel were currently using Spider-Man in a live-action TV series while DC were already planning the soon-to-be-famous 1978 Superman movie with Christopher Reeves.
Needless to say, both Stan Lee and Carmine Infantino seemed to like the idea and so - rather than let it go to waste - the two companies worked together and created a large 92 page comic crossover which featured the two heroes been tricked into fighting each other before teaming up to take down an alliance of Lex Luthor and Doctor Octopus. The comic itself would later open the gateway for a whole slew of comic book crossovers between the two companies - often set within a certain superhero universe separated from their main universe and sometimes including crossovers of other properties such as Transformers and Witchblade.
To (partially) quote Linkara from the YouTube series Atop The Fourth Wall, "Don't you love it when major milestones in comic book history - like, say, the first superhero crossover between Marvel and DC - are done just for the hell of it? We need that level of friendliness again, not the two [constantly bickering with each other]".

While a movie never did get made, both Marvel and DC have made animated adaptations of some of their major comics - such as Marvel making "Planet Hulk" (based off the story of the same name) and DC making "Superman vs. the Elite" (based off the story What's so funny about Truth, Justice and the American Way?). As such, maybe one day DC and Marvel will team up again to bring this or indeed one of their other crossover stories to the small screen. As I said on another thread, I'd like to see it.

Remember that Batman vs Superman movie that came out about 2 years ago? That ended up being crap according to most people, a Superman vs Spiderman movie would probably also end up sucking IMO.

Remember that Batman vs Superman movie that came out about 2 years ago? That ended up being crap according to most people, a Superman vs Spiderman movie would probably also end up sucking IMO.

No necessarily - some of the animated movies that both companies have done have been decently/well received.

In regards to Batman vs. Superman, my biggest issue was putting Doomsday in the film. Considering the villain's status and how big a deal the Death of Superman story was, I think they should have utilized him much later after the Justice League has been established.
Metallo might have been a better choice - maybe make John Corben a police officer who lost his family during the destruction of Metropolis and was also critically injured to the point of needing his legs to be amputated - with this been his motivation for baring a grudge against Superman and other vigilantes. The film could go with Lex offering John a second chance of life and an opportunity to get even with Supes by injecting him with nanites derived from the scavenged Kryptonian tech and powered by the Kryptonite. Eventually, the nanites take almost complete control of Corben and magnify his hatred for superhumans, leading to his battle with Superman and Batman. In the end, Corbyn would be defeated - with a teaser being that a close up on one of the Nanites reveals the symbol of Brainiac.

Here's a clip from Batman/Superman: Public Enemies of Superman and Batman battling Metallo as well as the episode from Superman the Animated Series showing John Corben becoming Metallo:

Last edited:
The Hobbit, but done as a single movie, not three.

I think such a movie already exists, although it's not well received - in the film, Smaug looks more like a cat than a dragon.
If you meant a single live-action film and are already aware of the animated version then I apologise.

I've got an idea which also fits the category of a "Christmas / winter movie that thread : The Long Winter from the autobiographical novel by Laura Ingalls Wilder. For those who haven't read it (you're missing a treat!) this describes the winter of 1880-81, when the newly created town of De Smet, SD was cut off by blizzards from October to May. It stands out among LIW's books not only in being closely based on a historical event, but also in the way the author takes advantage of the third-person narrative to include passages from the point of view of protagonists other than herself (including her husband-to-be Almanzo Wilder). I'd like it if the film-makers could eschew background music in favour of actual recordings of real blizzards, so that viewers get so caught up in the ordeal that they'll be wanting to spring to their feet just like Laura when she says "Pa! Pa! The Chinook is blowing!" It would also be interesting if the story were given the docudrama treatment, a bit like The Perfect Storm but with a happier ending, with recreations of the synoptic weather charts courtesy of NOAA. Also show some historical photographs during the closing credits.

Question for any meteorologist on this forum: I wonder if there's any grain of truth in the old Native American's warning about harsh Dakota winters coming in 7- or 21-year-cycles. Does that tie in with El Niño – Southern Oscillation or sunspots?

Last edited:
I've got an idea which also fits the category of a "Christmas / winter movie that thread : The Long Winter from the autobiographical novel by Laura Ingalls Wilder.
According to Caroline Fraser, author of the recent Pulitzer Prize-winning biography Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder...
[There] was ... a very early "kinescope film adaptation" of "The Long Winter," aired by KETC in St. Louis, a non-commercial station operated by the St. Louis Educational Television Commission. The film is documented in a letter dated June 26, 1956, from the Director of School Programs to Wilder's agent, George Bye; that letter is held at Columbia University. I have no idea whether a copy of the film has survived; I believe it was aired only a limited number of times. Wilder gave her permission for the production, but according to the recollections of her friend, Neta Seal, she did not think highly of it.
Source: Prairie Fires Facebook page, post dated 30 April 2018

According to Caroline Fraser, author of the recent Pulitzer Prize-winning biography Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder...
[There] was ... a very early "kinescope film adaptation" of "The Long Winter," aired by KETC in St. Louis, a non-commercial station operated by the St. Louis Educational Television Commission. The film is documented in a letter dated June 26, 1956, from the Director of School Programs to Wilder's agent, George Bye; that letter is held at Columbia University. I have no idea whether a copy of the film has survived; I believe it was aired only a limited number of times. Wilder gave her permission for the production, but according to the recollections of her friend, Neta Seal, she did not think highly of it.
Source: Prairie Fires Facebook page, post dated 30 April 2018

...How many people here know what kinescopes were:D?

...I said this before;)...What if the 1960s moviel of the Jules Styne/Stephen Sondheim musical " GUPSY " had had Ethel Merman in the starting role of Mama Rose, which she had created in the original Broadway production, not Rosalind Russell?

The original version of Hellraiser Bloodline before the studio butchered it and it became an Alan Smithee movie because of it.

I'm reading "Look Me In The Eye" by John Robison which is the story of a man with Asperger's that I think absolutely SHOULD be made into a movie! If you haven't read the book, it's fantastic

Looking back at this, the Dark Horse comic crossover Robocop vs. The Terminator (written by Frank Miller) could probably work as an animated movie; having the gore, violence, etc. from the films and having some great visuals while also allowing Arnie to voice the Terminator without having to do any action scenes (which is for the best as he's in his 70s and has had several operations).

If it's in well drawn 2D animation (which would also help make it stand out against all the 3D stuff that get shoveled out nowadays) and some of the goofier elements are toned down, I think it could be a good adaptation; especially with Mortal Kombat 11 referencing their previous crossover and with scenes like the image below after a fight between the two:
robocop_v_terminator_final.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom