• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

More trouble with roommates

ConnerAnderson

I hate being yelled at. I spent 18 years being yelled at for several hours a day, and never, not even once, has yelling at me resulted in any problems being solved. I hate it, It makes my blood boil. My new roommate asked me to close a door(during a stressful situation unrelated to me), and when I did, I was screamed at for closing the wrong door. I am aware that my reaction to such things is extreme, so I separated and calmed down before talking with him. I told him that I felt that yelling at me for what was honestly a misunderstanding, and a minor one at that, was massively disrespectful. He told me that I went to the wrong door, and thus was wrong, and that that was disrespecting him. Is this normal? do I just deal?

Would bailing on this new roommate situation be a massive overreaction? I understand that people yell normally when they are upset, but when I confronted him, I was hoping for some degree of reasonable discussion. That did not happen. What do I do?

It sounds like he was the one who overreacted. If it keeps being like this and if you have the means, you should find a new roommate.

He told me that I went to the wrong door, and thus was wrong, and that that was disrespecting him. Is this normal?
No, this is way over the top. And it isn't disrepecting him; misunderstanding him doesn't equate to disrespect. If anything, he is disrespecting you; you did something to help him and got shouted at for it. It's abusive. Time for a new roommate.

Your new roomie has a problem. It would be a good idea to bail. You tried to be nice, he wasn't interested. I hate to say it but he could be badly adjusted autistic or have a personality disorder.

Next time tell him to close the door himself, you're not his butler. He very much overreacted. You disrespected him because you did him a favour but made a tiny mistake? That's silly.

Last edited:
I agree with everybody here. He seems to blame his overreacting on others. That is not somebody you want to live with. Run like the wind from him. (added) hypersensitivity is a red flag for an abusive personality.

Last edited:
I think most people would try to find a way to "put up" with this as moving is more than a pain in the ass. If this behavior continues and you aren't able to manage it, then moving out as soon as possible would be best.

New Threads

Top Bottom