• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Monotone Voice

V.I.P Member
The monotone voice is an Aspie stereotype. I've heard it used on TV shows to indicate that someone is "different" and suffering from Aspergers - a character in a cartoon my son was watching had Aspergers and he literally talked like a robot. For the record, the character's special interest was bugs and he turned out to be the hero for saving everyone from a giant caterpillar. :rofl: The type of people that are often used in documentaries about aspergers tend to speak in a monotone as well, I suspect that those individuals are deliberately chosen as they represent the more obvious stereotype.

Having heard a few of you on youtube, I haven't noticed any robot voices yet.

I ran a course at my last job that ran for a week, and I had to stand at the front of a class and deliver material and answer questions. On one of the days a girl came and helped out doing translation (the class were all Thai). The girl was used to delivering courses and at one stage she told me that I needed to put more variation into my voice, that I spoke in a monotone and in danger of putting the class to sleep. :shiftyninja:

And I do notice that when people do friendly "impressions" of me, they tend to speak very formally and in a very flat voice. Hearing recordings of myself my voice has a droning sort of quality, flat but not really a monotone.

From what Ruby has said this is more of a HFA trait than an Aspie trait.

btw I can sing fairly well, but I lack range.

Really ? I got told by various medical professionals that montone voice is an aspie trait.

Meh.

I go into monotone voice usually when I'm talking about my interests...and I start kinda slurring and stuff.

So. Yeah. And im much different on cam on youtube than I am in real life.

It is not one or the other to my knowledge. I know for sure it is an aspie trait but it was also part of why my diagnostic team chose HFA. The lines between the two are yet again blurred.

I speak in a "strangely formal," very low voice. It is not entirely monotone but I think at the pitch I speak at I don't have much variability to give.

Apparently I have a monotone voice, and other aspies have said to me over Skype that I have a deep voice for a girl. LOL.
When I've done speeches in front of the class some people actually imitated my voice while I was speaking and they were speaking realllllly low-pitched >_<.
I also can't control my tone a lot of the time, and have to put a lot of effort in at times to keep it consistent. I only really talk loads of Skype but there's been days where I've had to speak at a really low volume and deep because it was so bad xD.
And there's times where I'm speaking in class and it's really deep and then goes high.
But yeaaahhh... there is variation.. but just not under my control xD.
EMZ=]

most people i talk to tend to fall asleep so when i slowly notice this i say to myself
shutup.gif

most people i talk to tend to fall asleep so when i slowly notice this i say to myself
shutup.gif
You have no idea how many times I have to tell my self, 'no one cares', or, 'just shut up already' a day!
And sometimes I need to say it a couple of times too just for one thing.
EMZ=]

I can do a very good impression of Marvin the paranoid android from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy apparently
marvin.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom