• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mom shares the less-than-pretty truth about raising a child with autism in ‘Autism Uncensored’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Children certainly don’t come with an instruction manual .

If Haynes had provided a hardback for each model of child I brought into the world I’d have found raising all three a little easier.
:)

Meltdowns in public?
There’s a quote from the book I think (earlier in the thread)
Read the words, it’s all about her and feeling ashamed due to what she imagines other people were thinking.

Where’s the part describing what her son may have been feeling?
What did she do to try to understand him and what’s happening? protect him? Soothe him? Get him away from those triggers (when possible and if applicable)
??
In my humble opinion, her response to Zacs melt down reads as completely selfish. First priority was her image not Zac.
Perhaps if she’d have been watching zacs various stages of meltdown for the moment when one can approach she wouldn’t have noticed any reaction from anywhere else?
Who can say?

@Maryann
You wrote describing raising an autistic child was like living in a war zone.

It really isn’t.

I’ve done both, I am fit to make that statement.

Children certainly don’t come with an instruction manual .

If Haynes had provided a hardback for each model of child I brought into the world I’d have found raising all three a little easier.

Meltdowns in public?
There’s a quote from the book I think (earlier in the thread)
Read the words, it’s all about her and feeling ashamed due to what she imagines other people were thinking.

Where’s the part describing what her son may have been feeling?
What did she do to try to understand him and what’s happening? protect him? Soothe him? Get him away from those triggers (when possible and if applicable)
??
In my humble opinion, her response to Zacs melt down reads as completely selfish. First priority was her image not Zac.
Perhaps if she’d have been watching zacs various stages of meltdown for the moment when one can approach she wouldn’t have noticed any reaction from anywhere else?
Who can say?

@Maryann
You wrote describing raising an autistic child was like living in a war zone.

It really isn’t.

I’ve done both, I am fit to make that statement.

exactly right.

The topic of the thread is a book written by
the mother of an autistic child.

I suggest getting back to that topic.

I haven't read the book but plan to buy it tomorrow. Any book that generates this degree of discussion, controversy, insight, praise and damnation is probably worth reading for those on the spectrum and those who live on the fringes of the spectrum like NTs who are parents of autistic children.

I thank those who posted here about their personal experiences with being forced to do things they did not want to do as children, and whether those experiences were ultimately good or bad for them. Lots of food for thought here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom