• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Modified cars

Yeah, the whole bass blasting is nothing new to me. Grew up with that most of my life, and then of course you have those with the best (or the worst according to this thread) of both worlds. Some of these people could register a 10 on the Richter scale if they tried hard enough. Definitely not friendly to those with sound sensitivity.

I wonder if without the sound, if the vibration would be soothing, sort of like a massage.

I know modified cars can be loud but there is a decible law for exhaust too loud that lands tickets. My cars a V-8 its quiet at idle unless i rev it its a police interceptor crown vic.
i would love to have the same exhaust system installed.

Electric cars are faster off the line because the power is direct, any other engine has lag... That's why some of the exotic cars are moving towards hybrid or even full electric in some cases...

I know that in Europe there is a move to electric conversions of classic cars, because of possible rules that might be fairly aggressive around rules for cars...

Here in North America I'm seeing some of that, but a little slower, there is one person here in Calgary who recently converted a 1974 VW Super Beetle to electric

I know you guys probably hate this, but I think (I know) that the people with classic muscle cars enjoy the sound and feel of their gas engines, because people are wired for sound... Same goes for the tuner crowd in my estimation...
Electric cars have that instant Torque too.

In California, it is illegal to tamper with the exhaust in any way due to smog rules. That doesn't stop people from smogging their car and then removing all the OEM exhaust and replacing it with something that "sounds healthier" until the next smog time. (Older cars from the pre-smog era are exempt.) I think it is also illegal to have your car stereo blasting too loud. The police are much too busy with other stuff to worry about enforcing it unless someone specifically complains.

I think an extremely loud vehicle is an example of passive-aggressive behavior and an unhealthy level of narcissism. A herd of bikes with straight pipes is deafening.

Aside from that, all that smog gear does reduce a vehicle's performance and hurts fuel economy. It is much better today than it once was.

In California, it is illegal to tamper with the exhaust in any way due to smog rules. That doesn't stop people from smogging their car and then removing all the OEM exhaust and replacing it with something that "sounds healthier" until the next smog time. (Older cars from the pre-smog era are exempt.) I think it is also illegal to have your car stereo blasting too loud. The police are much too busy with other stuff to worry about enforcing it unless someone specifically complains.

I think an extremely loud vehicle is an example of passive-aggressive behavior and an unhealthy level of narcissism. A herd of bikes with straight pipes is deafening.

Aside from that, all that smog gear does reduce a vehicle's performance and hurts fuel economy. It is much better today than it once was.

On some very early exotic cars I know they don't have mufflers at all, but straight pipes out the side of the hood. Feel free to come wake me up with a Duesenberg, a Cord, an Auburn, or even an old Model T "speedster" stripped down and running with the cut-out open. But if it's someone's ricer, pickup truck, or worse a Jeep, no thanks.

Actually its legal to upgrade the exhaust system as long as the cat converters are still intact catbacks, mufflers and header upgrades still smog legal as long as they are Carb certified.Strait pipe unless smog exempt 1975 and earlier is illegal in California.

I'm a motor head (actually going to a couple of car events this afternoon with my motor club) and I can't wait until I have a garage (or storage area) so I can buy my first show car...maybe I'm the wrong person to ask LOL...I definitely have earplugs though.

Talk of converting classic cars to electric makes me want to cry. Butchers, all of you. :eek:

I am impressed by some of the electric cars on the market now. I won't buy one at the moment, because the infrastructure just isn't robust enough yet. If I get low on gas, I can stop almost anywhere to get more. If I run low on electric, well, finding a charging station is a much bigger challenge. A friend of mine has an electric car, and he's very proud of it, posting on Facebook all the stops he makes to charge it...on a 2-3 hour journey he'll stop several times, and complain about someone blocking the electric car charging station. He doesn't mean to be, but he's the best advertisement for gasoline cars that I've ever seen. He makes electric cars look so darned inconvenient.

Motorcycles annoy me. They're much louder than most cars, and tend to travel in packs...they're also not much to look at (if only because they're too small and fast to even get a good look at them as they go by...much easier to appreciate a bike when it's parked). A whole line of bikers going by can totally disrupt whatever I'm trying to enjoy outside.

I'm a motor head (actually going to a couple of car events this afternoon with my motor club) and I can't wait until I have a garage (or storage area) so I can buy my first show car...maybe I'm the wrong person to ask LOL...I definitely have earplugs though.

Talk of converting classic cars to electric makes me want to cry. Butchers, all of you. :eek:

I am impressed by some of the electric cars on the market now. I won't buy one at the moment, because the infrastructure just isn't robust enough yet. If I get low on gas, I can stop almost anywhere to get more. If I run low on electric, well, finding a charging station is a much bigger challenge. A friend of mine has an electric car, and he's very proud of it, posting on Facebook all the stops he makes to charge it...on a 2-3 hour journey he'll stop several times, and complain about someone blocking the electric car charging station. He doesn't mean to be, but he's the best advertisement for gasoline cars that I've ever seen. He makes electric cars look so darned inconvenient.

Motorcycles annoy me. They're much louder than most cars, and tend to travel in packs...they're also not much to look at (if only because they're too small and fast to even get a good look at them as they go by...much easier to appreciate a bike when it's parked). A whole line of bikers going by can totally disrupt whatever I'm trying to enjoy outside.

I agree. I don't like the idea of engine swaps, and drivetrain changes aren't great either...Almost bought a 1926 Ford Model T one time, and then a 1949 Plymouth De Luxe, thinking I had the money to do so. Two other buyers were faster. Had I been able to land one or the other (as in, been able to get an insurance policy) it would be running on its original drivetrain at present. Of course this was back when I had a job.

Electricity is looking pretty attractive if you don't drive much. But considering the batteries available now, people need to let gasoline & electric co-exist at present. And just as horses and bicycles still find room on American motor roads (they were there first!) I am pretty confident that gasoline motors will always be around, even if electric cars are to be the majority.

When I can find a job & a house of my own, I still want an electric just because-- well, I think they are cool. Perhaps. But the Toyota stays.

Antique pre-WWII unmodified cars are a special interest of mine but if I have to choose between a bulky old prewar sedan and an electric, I'd go with a homebuilt electric--not so likely to need an engine rebuild every 60,000 miles. But if I had room for both? Why, both it would be, and the Corolla for a spare.

Yeah loud motorcycles annoy me more than cars esspesially when they rev hard when im walking on a side walk making me jump and shocked.

Nitro has a 7 litre v8 i think he might be dissapointed if modded cars were banned so would I, id mod my car if it had a loud exhaust though id just rev it in the middle of nowhere just to hear the sound as long as its not too loud idling its all good.

The motorcyclist has his motrbike outside my flat door, 1010pm banginf loudly tools and what sounds like platic or wood being broken

The motorcyclist is outside my flat door in the corridor just now about 1025 pm, loudly banging tools and what sounds like wood or plastic being broken, if I could prove it I would tell the council

My neighborhood is full of loud vehicles. I hate it, it’s so obnoxious, and disrespectful.

I have read that loud exhaust is a US thing and that it frowned upon in Europe. Can any of our European members comment on this?
I know in the Netherlands there’s a legal decibel limit for modded exhaust pipes.

There are legal limits here but they aren't enforced. Too much hassle for cops to run out with a decibel meter for every report of a loud exhaust.

New Threads

Top Bottom