• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mirror Neuron System in Autism: Broken or Just Slowly Developing?

Tramb

i don't find a Thread about this abstract, so :
Mirror Neuron System in Autism: Broken or Just Slowly Developing?
an interview of one of the scientist: Christian Keysers (in audio version, about autism-> 35min15sec to 42min00)

Developmental abnormalities in the mirror neuron system may contribute to social deficits in autism.
View attachment 2892This graph shows the relationship between age and mirror activity for a normal brain and one with autism. (Credit: Image courtesy of Elsevier)

The mirror neuron system is a brain circuit that enables us to better understand and anticipate the actions of others. These circuits activate in similar ways when we perform actions or watch other people perform the same actions.
Now, a new study published in Biological Psychiatry reports that the mirror system in individuals with autism is not actually broken, but simply delayed.
Dr. Christian Keysers, lead author on the project, detailed their findings, "While most of us have their strongest mirror activity while they are young, autistic individuals seem to have a weak mirror system in their youth, but their mirror activity increases with age, is normal by about age 30 and unusually high thereafter."
This increase in function of mirror neuron systems may be related to increased capacity for social function or responsiveness to rehabilitative treatments among individuals with autism.
"The finding of late developing circuit functions could be very important. One wonders whether the recent breakthroughs in the genetics of autism could help to identify causes for the developmental delays. This type of bridge might help to identify novel treatment mechanisms for autism," said Dr. John Krystal, Editor of Biological Psychiatry.
One of the next steps in this line of research will be for researchers to examine how individuals with autism accomplish this improvement over time, and how therapeutic interventions targeting the same mechanism can help to support this important process.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what to make of this. The graph seems to indicate that those with AS should be able to manage as well as an NT by the time that they are 50. While I have learned how to function in the real world in a superficial sort of way, I don't feel that I am actually OF that world (I am in my early 50s).

I'm not sure that you have to read the graph like that.
the graph just said that contrary as NT, the mirror system increase with age for autist.
other interpretations is just speculation:
Mirror syst?me is not the only reason of Autism.
And reading(~understand) face and attitude is not the only fonction of mirror systeme.

anyway i feel this study very hopeful for every autist.

Last edited:
Wait...so assuming I'm 25 now, in about 5 years my mirror neuron system will be normally developed? What about my social skills, will they still suck? :)

Seriously though, I'm not sure about this research. What kinds of subjects did they use in this study? What about the other areas of delay, will those improve as well?

New Threads

Top Bottom