• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Microsoft's Windows 11 - Déjà Vu ?

Judge

V.I.P Member
Sorry MS, but all I can do is again laugh at you. So many bad commentaries about your latest operating system, "Windows 11". Which seems eerily similar to the debut of Windows 8, then 8.1 only to be redone skipping version "9" going directly to Windows 10.

Bad enough for so many computer users who do not have a more current generation (8) of an Intel CPU, and current Trusted Platform Module technology (TPM 2.0) on their motherboard. Which in Microsoft's opinion makes your computer (and mine) unsuitable to run Windows 11.

Sure, you can find any number of online hacks showing how to potentially get around it, but if Microsoft sticks to its guns, it may simply add code to discourage it. With no promises that your system will run properly, even if they eventually get all the bugs out of this system which "out the gate" seems more and more like Windows 8 or even Windows Vista. :eek:

Adding insult to injury is to discover that this OS debut is clearly Intel-centric, causing a great deal of grief to anyone running a newer computer with an AMD cpu and a Ryzen gpu. Resulting in noticeable drops in overall performance around 15 to 20%. Causing a PR nightmare for Microsoft, where they are allegedly backpeddling, now working with AMD to solve all those issues.

Needless to say, I've never bought a new OS the same year it came out. I have no intention of being an unpaid beta-tester for Microsoft, and I hope you aren't either. Scary to see the stores now carrying laptops with Windows 11 under the circumstances. Oh well...:rolleyes:

At least we have alleged support by Microsoft for Windows 10 for the next four years or so. Unless they go back on that as well. We shall see. Maybe "Windows 13" may be just beyond the horizon. :p

Last edited:
I downloaded windows 11, in the hope it would bypass an issue with zoom rooms on this laptop, which is an hp one, but as soon as it appeared and I tried to do my usual actions, I hated it immediately and thankfully, was able to revert back to windows 10 and although windows 10 got a lot of rap when it first appeared, I personally loved it then and love it now.

I downloaded windows 11, in the hope it would bypass an issue with zoom rooms on this laptop, which is an hp one, but as soon as it appeared and I tried to do my usual actions, I hated it immediately and thankfully, was able to revert back to windows 10 and although windows 10 got a lot of rap when it first appeared, I personally loved it then and love it now.

Glad you could you recover your earlier OS.

I've got Windows 10 running beautifully. Always makes me sick when they feel they have to change it all. I just hope Canon develops a new Windows 11 driver for the software for my 2009 SLR. Though I suspect Windows 11 will be the end of being able to run my ancient version of Adobe Photoshop 5.5.

At least I may have four years to mull it all over....

Thank you for bringing this up, @Judge. I have Windows 10 on my desktop computer and have started to receive messages that I'm not getting automatic security updates because it is outdated, with the recommendation that I switch to Windows 11. I don't want to switch unless it is the only thing I can do.

I didn't realize that MS had pledged 4 more years of support for Windows 10. I hope that "support" includes automatic security updates. Do I need to contact anyone to ensure that I get the alleged "support" or will it be automatic? Sorry, but I'm very unsophisticated about computers and most of this stuff is beyond my understanding from a practical point of view. :eek:

I didn't realize that MS had pledged 4 more years of support for Windows 10. I hope that "support" includes automatic security updates. Do I need to contact anyone to ensure that I get the alleged "support" or will it be automatic? Sorry, but I'm very unsophisticated about computers and most of this stuff is beyond my understanding from a practical point of view. :eek:

As far as I know, that duration should include all security updates. Though since MS broke its pledge that Windows 10 was supposed to be their last official version, who knows what they might do to increase demand? Especially when there is a global shipping crisis and shortage of computer chips in general.

Their timing is well....poorly executed. Shows how myopic their corporate thinking can be. :rolleyes:

"Windows 10 support will still be available for four years. Windows 10 will be retired with Windows 7 in the graveyard of Microsoft operating systems. With Microsoft making Windows 11 a free upgrade that launched today, the tech juggernaut will pull the plug on Windows 10 support on Oct. 14, 2025."

X-Files, baby! Trust no one. :(

The important thing is to let others beta test software to a point where many consider it to be a stable OS. Otherwise expect a certain amount of grief, and in this instance cost in having to buy a whole new computer unless MS decides to reverse these requirements due to massive public outrage. However I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/windows-10-support-ends-in-2025-what-it-means-for-your-device/

Last edited:
I'm as cynical as you! X-Files all the way for me. I'm so weird that I prefer to drive my 1999 farm truck because, as far as I know, satellites aren't routinely tracking it like our newer vehicles. Unless I have my cell phone with me.... LOL. Big Brother is everywhere.

Well...the bios on my computer is eight years old. While it runs Windows 10 like a top, I have to concede that in the rapidly paced era of computer science and gaming that it's considered ancient. So I suppose this is inevitable.

In the coming years I'll have to see if I want to build another system from the ground up like this one, or simply cave into something store bought. At least I have time to mull it all over.

At least this may allow me to use this computer which would probably run a Linux OS like Ubuntu reasonably well. The thought of simply discarding it makes me ill. :(

Of course my legacy computer still runs Windows XP quite well too. Problem is, I just seldom use it...:oops:

Last edited:
Though since MS broke its pledge

Always, always, ALWAYS think of any corporate "pledge" or "promise" as a marketing gimmick, because that's always what it really is. As the gaming industry has taught me over and over again. And over, and over, and over...

As far as Windows 11, well... it lost me at "Windows".

I mean really I'm already stuck with 10, I freaking *loathe* it just like every other bloody Windows version, I dont want another broken pile of festering cat turds infecting this computer.

As if there's any reason for me to upgrade this overpowered machine in any fashion. Well, not that 11 would be an "upgrade"... it wont be.

Ugh. I didnt even know 11 was a thing. I dont really pay attention to that nonsense. But now that I know... gonna be careful.

Always, always, ALWAYS think of any corporate "pledge" or "promise" as a marketing gimmick, because that's always what it really is. As the gaming industry has taught me over and over again. And over, and over, and over...

True. I worked for the gaming industry in Silicon Valley at the turn of the century. Learned firsthand just how underhanded and indifferent corporate minds can be towards their customers. With a primary focus only on shareholders. Turned me off on computer gaming altogether.

Indeed, Microsoft is no exception.

Last edited:
Well...the bios on my computer is eight years old. While it runs Windows 10 like a top, I have to concede that in the rapidly paced era of computer science and gaming that it's considered ancient. So I suppose this is inevitable.

In the coming years I'll have to see if I want to build another system from the ground up like this one, or simply cave into something store bought. At least I have time to mull it all over.

At least this may allow me to use this computer which would probably run a Linux OS like Ubuntu reasonably well. The thought of simply discarding it makes me ill. :(

Of course my legacy computer still runs Windows XP quite well too. Problem is, I just seldom use it...:oops:

Omgosh. I love windows xp. My favorite.

Gonna wait this one out, as Microsoft stated support will continue for Windows 10 until 2025, plus the whole deal with needing TPM 2.0 and them still working the kinks out with the OS and hardware compatibility.

I don't have an 8th-generation Intel CPU and if I do another build I'm considering AMD/NVidia; haven't checked if I have TPM 2.0 or not either, but if not then I guess Windows 11 ain't happening. No sweat, I've got Windows 10 set up to my liking and it's going to take a while for the transition to happen anyways.

I like some of the new features, like the redesigned interface and multiple virtual desktops (finally?), but anyone who's messed around with a Linux distro or two probably isn't going to find it ground-breaking.

Sorry MS, but all I can do is again laugh at you. So many bad commentaries about your latest operating system, "Windows 11". Which seems eerily similar to the debut of Windows 8, then 8.1 only to be redone skipping version "9" going directly to Windows 10.

Bad enough for so many computer users who do not have a more current generation (8) of an Intel CPU, and current Trusted Platform Module technology (TPM 2.0) on their motherboard. Which in Microsoft's opinion makes your computer (and mine) unsuitable to run Windows 11.

Sure, you can find any number of online hacks showing how to potentially get around it, but if Microsoft sticks to its guns, it may simply add code to discourage it. With no promises that your system will run properly, even if they eventually get all the bugs out of this system which "out the gate" seems more and more like Windows 8 or even Windows Vista. :eek:

Adding insult to injury is to discover that this OS debut is clearly Intel-centric, causing a great deal of grief to anyone running a newer computer with an AMD cpu and a Ryzen gpu. Resulting in noticeable drops in overall performance around 15 to 20%. Causing a PR nightmare for Microsoft, where they are allegedly backpeddling, now working with AMD to solve all those issues.

Needless to say, I've never bought a new OS the same year it came out. I have no intention of being an unpaid beta-tester for Microsoft, and I hope you aren't either. Scary to see the stores now carrying laptops with Windows 11 under the circumstances. Oh well...:rolleyes:

At least we have alleged support by Microsoft for Windows 10 for the next four years or so. Unless they go back on that as well. We shall see. Maybe "Windows 13" may be just beyond the horizon. :p
I generally don't update windows until my existing OS won't run the software I need. That only happens every decade or so.

I still like my old Toshiba with windows vista. Never needs updates! Got newer but it's my old fave computer.

Just give me back my Windows 98, but with the security of today's internet and I'll be so happy.

For what it's worth, I've used freeware programs like "Open Shell" to give my menu system the appearance of Windows 98 rather than all the native menus of later versions of Windows. Works great on Windows 10.

Control all the visuals in terms of style and color...but have the menus look and work like the windows "classic" menu of an earlier era. I can't imagine using any of Microsoft's contemporary menu systems. They all suck. I just hope this program will work on Windows 11 as well!

Windows 98 Menu.jpg

Open Shell 4.4.169 Download | TechSpot

Interesting of late to see online articles claiming that Microsoft may have backpeddled their insistence on certain requirements allowing somewhat older computers to install Windows 11. Though I wouldn't get your hopes up if you really do have an Intel processor older than their Eight Generation or have only an outdated version (less than 2.0) of Trusted Platform Module (TPM) on your motherboard if at all.

You can determine if you have TPM by simply typing the following into the "run" command textbox: tpm.msc

Also check your bios to see if it exists, but may be turned off by default.

Interesting to see one motherboard manufacturer is updating their bios to accommodate such requirements. Though think twice before attempting such an update, as with some users it may "brick" their computer.

Asus is rolling out BIOS updates to alleviate likely Windows 11 upgrade headaches

Then again maybe if I wait long enough, Windows 11 will simply go away like a one of Dorothy Gale's bad dreams. Where TPM, earlier processors and the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Cowardly Lion were only figments of our imagination.

Or not. :eek:

Last edited:
I recently watched a Dutch review of Windows 11 on YouTube. The person doing the presentation demonstrated on a AMD/Ryzen laptop that apparently Microsoft was created a successful patch to fix the performance issues plaguing any computers using AMD Ryzen processors. They also demonstrated a number of performance benchmarks comparing both Windows 11 and Windows 10.

The results were pretty consistent, showing a very slight improvement with Windows 11. So I guess all the Microsoft banter will be contained to some new bells and whistles and probably not much more. Still seems premature to upgrade at this point in time as there are other aspects of Windows 11 yet to be rolled out.

Meanwhile, Linux is looking better and better to me on multiple levels. :)

I have come into the habit of only doing every other Windows update. I have avoided Windows 3.0, Windows 98 first edition, Windows Millenium, and Windows 8. Windows 11 is next on my list of things to avoid. I think that's a "win" for me.

Lovely. Saw another YouTube video about Windows 11 that claimed that it's somewhat difficult to choose a default browser. Unless of course it's Microsoft Edge, In which it's a relatively painless process. :rolleyes:

I doubt that will go over well with the EU, who once fined Microsoft €497.2 million over it's tying their MSIE browser to the operating system. Calling it a monopolistic practice.

Last edited:
I also saw another video last night about Windows 11 suggesting that while there's no clear reason why Windows 11 truly requires TPM 2.0 or an 8th generation Intel CPU, that even owners of earlier versions of Microsoft's Surface Laptop that run just fine will also be forced to replace their computer as well.

Gotta love these proprietary operating systems. Having to start from scratch with a newer computer just to accommodate a "new" OS that is little more than a few more "bells and whistles" with a somewhat different look.

Sheds some real light on just what open-source software like Linux distros really means. Having a perfectly good hardware system that will run that 64-bit OS just fine, and perhaps even be able to run very old 16-bit Windows programs. A very attractive proposition to me personally given I'm not a gamer.

Assuming of course that Nvidia provides a Linux driver for my GeForce GTX Ti650. That's the one case where Linux is still dependent on a proprietary software driver in an open-source operating system. I suppose I could upgrade it to a GeForce GTX Ti1050 that my older motherboard will still support. Though it would still beat having to build an entirely new computer for a "ho-hum" new operating system.

Needless to say, this thread is just one big rant for me and those of you with perfectly good running computers that don't meet Microsoft's bogus requirements designed only to force you to perpetuate their near monopoly.

At least we all have around 3 years and 11 months to mull it all over before Microsoft pulls the plug. Though it is gratifying to begin to understand that Linux provides a fine alternative to simply throwing away an otherwise perfectly good computer. An alternative driven neither by profit motive or pandering to shareholders.

In essence, the more I read about the process of developing "open-source" applications and operating systems, the more I associate it with the term "user-friendly". :)

Last edited:
Linux Distro: Zorin OS16

Looks like a suitable replacement for Windows 11. Basic installation requires only 2Gb of RAM, and uses less than 1Gb of RAM upon startup after basic installation. Gives you a hint of the minimal system resources required to run this OS compared to the bloatware of Microsoft Windows. Odds are that your old computer that Microsoft wants you to abandon will probably FLY on this OS. :cool:

Otherwise who's up for spending between $1500 and $2000 for a reasonably robust pc just to accommodate Windows 11? Unless perhaps in the near future MS wisely decides to abandon their hardware requirement of TPM 2.0 and eighth generation or later Intel cpus.

But that isn't likely to happen. Even though the supply chain factor may inhibit consumers from making the switch because of price and availability of components. I wonder if Micro$oft has given that any thought? :rolleyes:

The catch? Like most of our members at my age, we all have some 30 years +- in Windows. I've read enough times now that moving to Linux may be a great idea, provided you understand that little to nothing you've learned in Windows over the decades will likely apply to any Linux distro.

That said, here's a nice video on installing this OS, giving viewers a decent idea on what is out there in terms of replacing Windows with a very efficient alternative. Provided of course that "old dogs can learn new tricks". Just hope that applies to me as well. :oops:

One thing I agree with within the Linux community though is the school of thought pushing the idea that relying more on the GUI is the way to go, rather than continue to emphasize using the terminal and a command prompt to do so many basic internal functions. That Linux culture needs to get past the "geek factor" to inevitably appeal to a broader audience. Watching videos of geeks constantly referring to a command prompt makes even my eyes glaze over.

Presently the Linux audience appears to be between only one and two percent of the market. Though the number of individual developers and corporations keeping this system afloat without proprietary wants and needs of a for-profit monopoly seems endless. Those who appear to be dedicated to the love of efficient computing pandering to users rather than a board of directors and their shareholders.

Sorry for the rant. But I suppose decades of Microsoft's monopoly of a mediocre and bloated OS have taken its toll. At least I can take an unused 256 Gb SSD and temporarily put it into this computer to test out Linux rather than spend a small fortune for a new computer just to appease Microsoft's greed machine.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom