• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mega Yellowjacket nest in San Jose.

Here in Sacramento black widows generally don't venture into human living areas, they tend to stay outside or in easy to reach (for them) spaces that are secluded and where they believe they are unlikely to be harassed by humans.

Ah yes. The last time I encountered a female black widow was when I walked into my apt. bathroom and found it dangling from its web, just above the toilet.

That was when I lived on La Riviera Drive....on the east side of Sacramento California. o_O

I'm more out on the north side, near Rio Linda. At least the ones around here behave as I described. I have also lived downtown, and the big problem there is roaches due to it being urban. I can't really speak for out Rancho Cordova way, though. Possibly a different subspecies of widow, or one that is less afraid of humans. I know that La Riviera and Rancho Cordova are far more dense than out here, I'm in an area of acre lots and north of me there are lots of 7 acres or more, so maybe the ones over there are simply more used to humans.

Tarrantulas are scary looking but harmless they are cute and sweet i love tarrantulas.

Last summer, my sis stepped out onto her porch and beheld this formidable fellow. He’s a tarantula.

upload_2020-6-25_12-52-30.jpeg

Here in Sacramento black widows generally don't venture into human living areas, they tend to stay outside or in easy to reach (for them) spaces that are secluded and where they believe they are unlikely to be harassed by humans. I have at least one widow in my garage right now, I had another one and sprayed it but now I've got another one which makes me think there's a colony somewhere. When I take everything out for the move north this fall I will have to bug bomb the garage to make sure I've got everything. I've had spiders inside my actual living space before, but never widows, as I said the ones here generally avoid humans and only bite if they feel threatened.

There are yellowjackets here too (I'm about 120 miles NE of @AspieOtaku) but their nests are usually small, at least the ones above ground are. Lots of skunks and such around here so probably not many underground nests, we do have underground bees of some kind, but mostly the yellowjackets stay up high out of the reach of yellowjacket predators.

If they infringe in human territory you have to kill the nests because they will return to the same place year after year, that's how you get those giant nests. After my grandparents died we found an abandoned pickup out back that had an engine compartment with a huge nest, they like old cars because the skunks can't reach them and often humans don't bother them.
This big nest is out of the way and no threat we are at peace.

Last summer, my sis stepped out onto her porch and beheld this formidable fellow. He’s a tarantula.

View attachment 62883
Aww they are nice and harmless they are scary looking and big but wont hurt you, i handled wild tarrantulas and let them climb on me they have itchy hairs and stream a little web but thats it they wont hurt you they are nice.

And then there are snakes... I couldn’t possibly be any more afraid of rattlesnakes.

View attachment 62884
Im not afraid of rattlesnakes, if we dont bother them they wont bite they only bite when threatened, i encountered a northern pacific rattlesnake crossing a trail, i let him pass no trouble no bites i kept hiking. Rattlesnakes arent out to get you they are passive and only strike when threatened. The snake was a good symbol in America dont tread on me.

I love snakes they are misunderstood most are nice, the venomous ones just want to be left alone and do their own thing.

We also have king snakes, non venomous immune to venom, they eat rattlesnakes and other venomous snakes, they are nice snakes.

Last edited:
Rattlesnake being eaten by a king snake, there was an incident a while back both a black mamba and kingsnake escaped in the reptile house at a zoo the king snake ate the black mamba and was found with a big bulge in his stomach the black mamba was nowhere to be found and the handler was fired. Reason being fired is black mambas are very dangerous and hard to catch and live in Africa, I wouldnt be surprised if a king snake ate a cobra, they eat coral snakes too. King snakes eat copperheads and cottinmouths as well, if kingsnakes were introduced to Australia the tigersnake and brown snake might face extinction.

Last edited:
Here in Sacramento black widows generally don't venture into human living areas, they tend to stay outside or in easy to reach (for them) spaces that are secluded and where they believe they are unlikely to be harassed by humans. I have at least one widow in my garage right now, I had another one and sprayed it but now I've got another one which makes me think there's a colony somewhere. When I take everything out for the move north this fall I will have to bug bomb the garage to make sure I've got everything. I've had spiders inside my actual living space before, but never widows, as I said the ones here generally avoid humans and only bite if they feel threatened.

There are yellowjackets here too (I'm about 120 miles NE of @AspieOtaku) but their nests are usually small, at least the ones above ground are. Lots of skunks and such around here so probably not many underground nests, we do have underground bees of some kind, but mostly the yellowjackets stay up high out of the reach of yellowjacket predators.

If they infringe in human territory you have to kill the nests because they will return to the same place year after year, that's how you get those giant nests. After my grandparents died we found an abandoned pickup out back that had an engine compartment with a huge nest, they like old cars because the skunks can't reach them and often humans don't bother them.

Yeah those yellow jackets hurt like hell this nest if i disturbed it id be stung many more times but its out of the way and leave it alone.

The pit vipers where I live are aggressive, and, in fact, are called the most aggressive snakes in the world. We have cottonmouths, rattlers, and copperheads in Mississippi, and they absolutely will come after you even if you are trying to get away from them. When we fish in our lake, the cottonmouths sometimes come swimming toward the boat and will try to GET IN the boat. We can't use a stringer for caught fish because the snakes start eating the fish under the water. Really gross to pull up your stringer of fish and find six foot long snakes swallowing your catch, so we use a live well in the boat to store the fish. And I keep an oar handy to bash at the snakes. It's not a cuddly, oh-how-cute moment. It's dangerous.

There was a thread on this website a long time ago, talking about the aggression of pit vipers but I couldn't find it.

Im not afraid of rattlesnakes, if we dont bother them they wont bite they only bite when threatened, i encountered a northern pacific rattlesnake crossing a trail, i let him pass no trouble no bites i kept hiking. Rattlesnakes arent out to get you they are passive and only strike when threatened. The snake was a good symbol in America dont tread on me.

All very true. But I still have an intense fear of rattlers. I was perhaps a little mouse in a past life who was eaten by one? I'm not really frightened by any other type of snakes. Just the rattlers. Even the sight of them makes me freak out.

Also, my friend had a resident toad living under her porch for several months whom we named Phileas Frogg. He disappeared the very night after she spotted a rattler in her yard. We suspect Phil was eaten by that dirty old snake. He was our good friend.

Also, my friend had a resident toad living under her porch for several months whom we named Phileas Frogg. He disappeared the very night after she spotted a rattler in her yard. We suspect Phil was eaten by that dirty old snake. He was our good friend.
its a possibility, rattlers eat small animals like mice, rats, frogs, toads, birds, and lizards. Its just nature. Sorry your toad was eaten. Its just nature though the snake needs to eat too.

Most rattlenakes are shy and want to be left alone and only strike when cornered. They get active when they hunt but are scared of humans, they are good eating too and make great jerky. Yes you can eat rattlesnake.

Oh yeah, desert dwellers here in the US eat rattlesnakes and other desert snakes all the time. You can actually buy butchered snake in some of the towns in the high desert.

Oh yeah, desert dwellers here in the US eat rattlesnakes and other desert snakes all the time. You can actually buy butchered snake in some of the towns in the high desert.
i love snakes and have a soft side for em even poisonous ones however i havent tried rattlesnake it sounds good, i also like frogs and have a soft side for em they are cute, i ate frog legs they are good.

New Threads

Top Bottom