• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mega Yellowjacket nest in San Jose.

AspieOtaku

Leader of the otaku legion!
This is the largest yellowjacket nest i have seen in person and this is Northern California. Nest usually dont get this big unless you live in Texas Mississippi Alabama etc where the winters are mild.

You should have thrown rocks at it :D
Not a good idea id be stung many times before getting away laughing, but also consider there are many elderly and women and children at the park theyd be stung too and folks who could be allergic. If it was slow and nobodies around maybe and run like hell though lol. Its a popular park i wouldnt want to be sued if innocent people got stung. I wouldnt live with myself if a baby was stung or someone allergic was stung and died.

Last edited:
Its a big nest its out of the way and too high for anything to touch it unless you throw a rock at it, if nobodies around i might throw a rock at it and run like hell but only when nobodies around.

Those stings hurt too omg i threw rocks at your normal soccar ball sized nest and those jerks hurt ouch same with bald faced hornets. I laughed making em mad even after being stung though lol. But ouch they bite and sting.

I just leave the nest alone in the meantime and observe it its not hurting anyone unless i mess with it. So many swarming at the ent of the nest and its not disturbed its a very big colony many queens.

Here is a vid of a 10 foot high one in florida, it was eventually taken out it had thousands of queens.

If i cant reach it by hand and they arent attacking me i leave the nest alone, its a rare mega nest out of the way. Its like 50 feet up in a tree and not in the ground. Not many mega nests in cali so its a gift to see. Only down south you see nests like this and bigger.

Yellow jackets make nests underground and in trees but this colony didnt nest underground because there is a family of skunks that live in the park, the wasps got smart and made their nest out of harms way sky high in a palm tree. Skunks prey on yellowjackets at night and eat them in the the ground nests both adults and larva alike, i encountered the skunks a few times and maintained my distance.

That's ugly. Having lived in the Bay Area for a number of years in the past, I have been stung by yellow jackets a few times. Distinctly different from being stung by a honeybee. Felt like my fingers/hands were being penetrated with a burning hot needle.

How lovely. Insects are pretty amazing. I’m glad you didn’t hurt them or their nest.
if i hurt that nest they would hurt me 50 times more lol. 50 plus stings would not sound pleasant luckilly there is a hospital across the street.

If they are out of the way and not a threat anymore, i dont bug em if they are close in reach and sting me we have issues and i burn the nest down but here were at peace. Its out of the way and up high and a magnificent nest, so astounding.

Mega nest like this if its in the way i burn it down or call the exterminator.
but the one i taped is out of the way.

New Threads

Top Bottom