• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Maybe a Bad Idea

Skylamar

Hi everyone. I'm not an Aspie, but I've struggled with a mental condition that allows me to understand what it's like to be different. I'm also a comedy writer (in the USA), with some success writing for tv. I'm posting here because I'm currently brainstorming for an original sitcom script and one idea for the script is a restaurant called Aspburgers which is a burger joint employed by people with Aspergers. I'm thinking that I'd like to have at least one female character who works in the restaurant as a regular character in the show. I've never met or interviewed anyone with Aspergers so all I know about Aspbergers is what I've read in articles and what I've seen in videos online. I don't want to stereotype the Aspergers character(s) in the script. Also, I'm not convinced that the idea for the restaurant is even that funny. So, I thought I'd post a message on this website to get some opinions. If you have time, I'd love your honest answers to some questions (answer whichever ones you want):

Do you think the idea of Aspburgers is funny/unfunny/in bad taste?
If you have Aspergers, what would be the hardest part of being a hostess/waitress/cook/busboy (choose whatever ones you want)?
If you think the idea is funny overall, what specific funny ideas about such a restaurant come to mind?
How would a restaurant created specifically to make the work environment more comfortable for people with Aspergers differ from the environment of a normal restaurant?

Thanks! I'll make sure to respond to any posts.

Skylamar

I can see the difficulties in writing a sitcom where most of the characters have Aspergers because you loose the range of character types that you would get in a conventional sitcom. On the other hand, I can see a wide range of opportunities for comedy.

Whats the back story behind the reason for this burger joint?

Also thought I would add this image I found the other day.
asperger-king.gif

Well, I find it very hard to be funny but it is possible.

Aspergers are usually very logical and they take most things (if not everything) literally. Some of us might not notice irony or/and sarcasm from speech or we don`t understand some jokes. In other words; we think differently. You could make funny scenes from that fact. And remember that aspergers and autistic people are also very hard working and obedient.

Aspergers might also have problems with communicating with other people. Especially with strangers. Some aspergers have own sense of good behavior as well; They might do something what they consider as good and polite behavior even though its actually the opposite.

For example they do something like this;

Aspie: Hello and welcome to Asburgers, ma`dam.

Ma`dam: Thank you. One table for one person.

Aspie: Alright, follow me. (I think I should give her a compliment. Like boss said; Be polite to costumers.)
You have... Such nice breasts.

M`dam: What? How dare you to look at my breasts! "SLAP!" (leaves)

Aspie: ... Maybe I should have complimented her ass instead...

Well, ok. That was`t a best kind of example but I think you got my point. But don`t make us look stupid or retarded. We do have some common sense too.

TBH, I don't find the Assburgers joke funny anymore and people who've seen comedies online give me **** 'cause of it :/.
You'd get crap from Autism charities and stuff too.
EMZ=]

Kempy, Sipe and Emor, thanks for your thoughts.

Sipe, I think I do get what you are saying in your example—that the person could have social anxiety and need to rely on planned responses.

Kempy, I'm still working on the backstory. But I'm thinking that the owner is someone with Aspbergers who started the restaurant to provide a comfortable place for people with Aspbergers to work in. An additional idea, which I'm still not sure about it, is that the waitresses are all women because the owner was also influenced by Hooters.

The restaurant won't be the main locale, but I'm thinking it will be next door to a store that will be the main locale. The main characters from the store will regularly go to the restaurant. Most American sitcoms have a local restaurant that the characters always hang out in; I believe that's because it's less expensive to have one restaurant set than to create a new one each time the characters go out.

I'm thinking of only having one or possibly two characters from Asburgers. I might have two to show that there are differences among people with Aspergers. One will definitely be a waitress. I'm not sure of the other one yet.

Thanks again!

A perfectionist chef perhaps? I can see fried eggs in perfect circles with the yolk right in the center. Perhaps markers on the glasses to show what should be milkshake and what should be froth.

The Assburgers joke is damn right annoying, as well as overused.

I see it as a piss take to people with AS...and that's how it is used a lot as well.

The Assburgers joke is damn right annoying, as well as overused.

I see it as a piss take to people with AS...and that's how it is used a lot as well.
Yep. A sitcom based on people with AS too would just **** up our already bad reputation imo :/.
EMZ=]

Well I have Aspergers and have had some work experience in an American fast food place. Admittedly I was only working at the drinks station and this was only for a few days. 

One thing I will say is that routine is good for people with Aspergers. If their is no routine or the routine suddenly changes, this can cause problems. I'm sure all fast food places have a set routine or process to follow when making food. You could use this somehow in your script. Another idea is that the fast food place could get hit with a sudden wave of customers. This could cause chaos and people with Aspergers don't cope well under stress like that. I myself hate being rushed. Communication is key in a fast food place and Aspies don't have communication as a strong point. You could also use that somehow in your script, maybe do a scenario around an intercom/speaker like when placing orders at the drive-through? A final thing, people with Aspergers can be sensitive to noise and smell. There is plenty of that in a fast food restaurant. 

A final final thing is that Aspies are great with ICT. There is a lot of ICT in fast food restaurants like mics, intercoms, computers, machines. Maybe one of them could break down and cause a panic or even be a distraction?

I would ask that you don't portray these people with Aspergers in a negative or stereotypical way. You can be funny without offending.

Hope that helps.

Kempy, I'm still working on the backstory. But I'm thinking that the owner is someone with Aspbergers who started the restaurant to provide a comfortable place for people with Aspbergers to work in. An additional idea, which I'm still not sure about it, is that the waitresses are all women because the owner was also influenced by Hooters.
At first I thought that the idea was okay... that was until I realized that the Aspergers Syndrome characters you planned to represent were going to be large-breasted, attractive bimbos who also happen to have weird social problems. Or do you plan to break the stereotype for Hooters' girls?

I can't see any reason why a comedy about people with AS could not be funny and tasteful at the same time. Think about a show like "Monk" (which I have only watched once or twice). There you have a character who is very "different", but who is mostly portrayed in a positive light, who is not objectified. There is nothing wrong with borrowing a little of the formula of a genuinely successful show, it happens all the time.

If you have a look around this forum you will see that people with AS often have some pretty spectacular talents. They tend to be intelligent, thoughtful, extremely knowledgeable about certain interests. Surely you could build some of that into a character or a set of characters who can be portrayed, at least in part, in a positive light?

I would think this is going to be very hard to do without being offensive. I would have a big problem with this show. And I feel like Asperger's is still unknown enough that it would breed even more misunderstanding. We are at a point where most people have heard of it but nobody has any idea what it actually means.

I am really just not at a point where I feel it is appropriate for my disabilities to be exploited for comedy. People should not be encouraged to laugh at symptoms of asperger's or people that have it. You realize that's what we face every day of our lives, right? It isn't funny. Don't try and make a buck off society's inclination to ridicule us. That is shameful.

At first I thought that the idea was okay... that was until I realized that the Aspergers Syndrome characters you planned to represent were going to be large-breasted, attractive bimbos who also happen to have weird social problems. Or do you plan to break the stereotype for Hooters' girls?
I'm also not sure about this. Just make sure you don't have a non-AS character trying to take advantage of them... that wouldn't be nice.  

Hi. I continue to appreciate all your responses.

As for the girls being bimbos--I would make them regular-looking girls, not bimbos, although maybe the outfits vaguely evoke Hooters'. I just think it might be funny if the owner of the restaurant think it's beneficial to replicate Hooters by having all the employees be female, when in fact doing so is unneeded.

I haven't yet figured out all of the rest of the characters in the script so I haven't written anything yet. If I find that I can't write a character with Aspergers without being stereotypical then I will give up trying. It's possible that, without personally knowing any people with Aspergers, that I may not be able to write a realistic character by just using my imagination.

I have watched Monk a few times and I thought some of it was pretty funny, although there were some instances where the character seemed extremely naive, and I don't know if the naivety had to do with his having OCD or his just being naive in general.

My script is primarily being written as a writing sample, so there is very little chance that it will ever get produced. However, if it were going to be produced, I would probably want to hire an actress who actually has Aspergers and let her improvise or re-write her lines so that they are more authentic.

Thanks again for your input.

I've always liked the idea of a sitcom with aspie characters in it.
BTW I would work at that fast food place B)
Once when I was bored and doodling I drew a little picture of a fast food restaurant calls ass-burgers and I drew me on the tills and the aspies I've met IRL lining up to take their orders. I hid it though so my friends don't see it :blink: I don't think they'd like it if there's a little stickman version of them on that sort of pic.

New Threads

Top Bottom