• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Marriage... It's all arranged!

Gomendosi

V.I.P Member
Oooh, this one is going to get things heated up a little bit I reckon, there is something in this question to get everyone to respond, politics, religion, sex, morals, use and abuse, slavery and prostitution.

Q) I want to know what the general consensus is and what your personal feelings are, on "Mail order brides" or the local/ modern equivalent.

Well I suppose I better fill you in on what?s been going on.
It seems that this older gentleman who used to chat to me on a regular basis as a customer in my last job has discovered my new place of employment and brought to my attention again, something I believed he had initially said in jest which now turns out to have been a serious matter to himself and a certain young lady. I of course had no inkling that this might be the case and while I don?t think it actually has to become an issue I still would like to touch base with as many of you as possible concerning the idea.
At my last job I got to know him and (I know I am a bad man!) I used to make him laugh with my quite passable Indian accent, he mentioned that he had been over there recently, as many years ago he had made some friends when they came out here and he had remained in touch with them all these years. Now, they have a daughter and she is in her early twenties it seems, when he went over there he stayed with these friends and they asked him if he would find a decent man to marry her and take her to live in Australia. (Decent? He obviously doesn?t know me LOL)

When he first mentioned this it was at the tail end of me having gone on for a good ten minutes pretending to be Indian (think, Apu from The Simpson's meets Peter Russell, Comedian) and I figured he was either playing along or expanding the fun and so I said I would consider it (the idea) if she was rich, pretty, a good cook and willing to wear a PVC catsuit and call me Batman (this last definitely was a joke? really... why do you know someone? Never mind)
He said, her family is wealthy and she can cook but only Indian style cuisine however she would be willing to learn. He also said she is pretty and he would get me a picture but, as to the rest it would probably have to be negotiable!

Oh how we laughed that day!

Okay, now, flash forward and just the other day, he traipses in to my new workplace and low and behold, he whips out this photo of this gorgeous young lass, admittedly with crooked teeth (so not photoshopped) and he says he mentioned me to her and she likes the idea but that he didn?t tell her any specifics about me in case I got cold feet, I was completely shocked and when I went to hand him back the photo, he said to keep it and have a think about it.

So I am going to activate the Wonder Twin Powers and join your brains together with mine to explore all the pros and cons, you don?t have to be a part of this but I do think it will make for some very interesting posts ; ]

I'd be wary of this type of deal. They might just be looking to get her citizenship through marrying you. They might frame you for beating her right after you're married so she doesn't have to stay married to you to stay.

Yes, the fact that the young woman is not speaking for herself on the matter is a big red flag in my opinion. That isn't to say that arranged marriages can't work--I once knew a Saudi couple that had had an arranged marriage and they seemed very happy, but if I remember correctly, the families knew each other or knew enough about each other, so that they had a pretty good idea of whether these two people would be good for each other. What you are talking about here is an entirely different matter.

:) I'm sorry, I'm not exactly an expert on wealthy Indian families but ...why would they want an older white guy? there's have to be a reason behind it...and just so she can have a nice man, a husband, in her life is not good enough :) do you know that guy well? is it possible he's withholding information from you?

Here?s the way I think it might go down. You two meet a few times, the family pressures you to marry her, you do, she makes some excuse to not be with you on the wedding night, she disappears for like a month, then your being served with papers, you go to court where pictures of her horrible bruises are presented as evidence, you go to jail and she gets half your stuff.

This doesn't smell right. If you're going to do the mail-order-bride thing, there might be reputable firms to do it with. Of course, they're not cheap, but that's why they're reputable.

New Threads

Top Bottom