• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

This is a map of a small island between Sweden and Finland called Märket.
I love that story. We had a similar problem here but they didn't bother moving the border, it makes for some funny administration rules.

Broken Hill is a South Australian town but it exists in New South Wales. They are administered by South Australia and they are on South Australian time but they are subject to New South Wales road laws.

I love that story. We had a similar problem here but they didn't bother moving the border, it makes for some funny administration rules.

Broken Hill is a South Australian town but it exists in New South Wales. They are administered by South Australia and they are on South Australian time but they are subject to New South Wales road laws.

So awkward when you accidentally build things in the wrong country. :D

This is a map of a small island between Sweden and Finland called Märket. The Sweden/Finland border cuts the island in half and the border has a very odd shape. Because Finland built a lighthouse there a long time ago and then they discovered that they had accidentally built it on the Swedish side of the border. Awkward. So they moved the border and this was the best they could come up with. What a mess. :)

iu

iu
This reminds me of this curious situation in the India Bangladesh border. Until 2015, they had an Indian enclave within a Bangladesh enclave within an Indian enclave within Bangladesh. It is named Dahala Khagrabari and living there was reportedly miserable since you couldn't reach anything.
iu

There is also the current Dutch-Belgian border in the town of Baarle.
Baarle-Nassau_-_Baarle-Hertog-en.png

Discovered in 1900, the Saint-Bélec slab languished unrecognized in a castle basement for over a century.

1679963835338.jpeg

This is the earliest known example in Europe of a map for which we can identify the territory it depicts. The slab was engraved in the early Bronze Age (2150–1600 B.C.)

Map of “royal” Bronze Age tombs in Brittany with theoretical boundaries between their domains. Slab location marks the area depicted by the Saint-Bélec map.

The Saint-Bélec slab is the first map of its kind and age that has been identified with a particular territory. The researchers found that the markings on the slab corresponded to the landscape of the Odet Valley, oriented east-north-east to west-south-west. Using geolocation technology, the researchers established that the territory represented on the slab bears an 80 percent accurate resemblance to an area around a 29-kilometer (18-mile) stretch of the Odet River.

^^ Is there a description or explanation for that one?
I guess it was for Americans. How rude of me.

It is the state of Alaska, as compared to the contiguous United States. Much in the same way that people often underestimate the size of Australia, people also often underestimate the size of the state of Alaska.

Has anyone found an easy way to copy a feature on Google maps, and paste it elsewhere to compare sizes? It terms of downtown Toronto, by current town is one subway stop by two.

New Threads

Top Bottom