• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Low mood from almost getting killed twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
Last Friday, I went back to the Sans Bar in Austin. Both times I crossed the street to get to it, a reckless driver almost hit me with their car. The first time was partially my fault but the ‘Walk’ signal for the street light just wouldn’t activate no matter how many times I pushed the button for it (Hurt my hand in the process.) It looked like there was a lull in traffic and I bolted across the line. However, midway, a car came speeding on my right. I initially froze but then snapped out of it and got to the sidewalk on the other side. When I was going back to my car, I managed to make the ‘Walk’ signal activate and when I made it to the middle of the street again, someone swerved their car hard within spitting distance of me.

On the way home, I felt very low in my mood and my legs felt weak while managing the gas pedal in my car. That angered a lot of other drivers. I also had another bad depression spell which lead me to posting onto a Discord channel that was meant for venting but I got a tidal wave of anger directed at me. That didn’t help things at all.

Yep, sounds like Austin traffic.
Still better than getting run over, and good that you went out to do a bit of socializing/partying. In the long run this is a bit of a win.

Yep, sounds like Austin traffic.
Still better than getting run over, and good that you went out to do a bit of socializing/partying. In the long run this is a bit of a win.

I am sorry you had a scare. But I agree with Gerontius. It is better to focus on the fun stuff, not the stuff that sucked. You might even see it as a "I didn't get hit by that car! It must be my lucky day!"

Saddest story l think out of AZ, a elderly lady walked across a street to see her husband in a retirment home and was hit by a car, that left the scene of the crime. That made me so sad. That was horrible. So reckless drivers are everywhere. Texas has a huge population of drivers with no insurance, maybe no driver's licenses either. So walking around, you probably have 50/50 % chance of survival. You won. Go play the lottery now.☺

Last Friday, I went back to the Sans Bar in Austin. Both times I crossed the street to get to it, a reckless driver almost hit me with their car. The first time was partially my fault but the ‘Walk’ signal for the street light just wouldn’t activate no matter how many times I pushed the button for it (Hurt my hand in the process.) It looked like there was a lull in traffic and I bolted across the line. However, midway, a car came speeding on my right. I initially froze but then snapped out of it and got to the sidewalk on the other side. When I was going back to my car, I managed to make the ‘Walk’ signal activate and when I made it to the middle of the street again, someone swerved their car hard within spitting distance of me.

On the way home, I felt very low in my mood and my legs felt weak while managing the gas pedal in my car. That angered a lot of other drivers. I also had another bad depression spell which lead me to posting onto a Discord channel that was meant for venting but I got a tidal wave of anger directed at me. That didn’t help things at all.

What positive learning have you derived from these experiences?

I used to ascribe malisciousness to such encounters, but then I started motorcycling and recognized just how many drivers have no situational awareness and had to change my perspective that they were all out to kill me. Worst was in some states, trying to bicycle on roads with overly aggressive yahoos.

Don't dwell on what happened. Just consider it as happenstance.

Last edited:
:nomouth: Getting killed twice would make you infamous. :wink:

But seriously please be safe first and fun second.
A little thing I do: visualize self arriving at destination as you’re leaving home or wherever. Then, when heading home, visualize yourself safrely getting there.

:nomouth: Getting killed twice would make you infamous. :wink:

But seriously please be safe first and fun second.
A little thing I do: visualize self arriving at destination as you’re leaving home or wherever. Then, when heading home, visualize yourself safrely getting there.

Especially since the place has been an oasis for me socially, I don’t want to die yet. I even got to dance with a woman who dressed up like a witch there!

I've found that, personally, those pedestrian lights are the worst things. I don't trust them one bit. I've learned to look to the traffic lights as well as look around for things like turn signals, cars approaching the intersection etc.

I can't tell you how many times I've obeyed the pedestrian light only to be nearly hit by someone making a turn.

I actually think that pedestrian lights should be done away with entirely and that people should learn to look for traffic lights and patterns instead.

I jaywalk not infrequently. In a lot of places, it's safer than obeying the pedestrian lights. (Maybe this is just PA where ALL traffic does not stop for pedestrian lights. Is it different in other states? I have no clue. But here, those darn pedestrian lights are a hazard.)

Especially since the place has been an oasis for me socially, I don’t want to die yet. I even got to dance with a woman who dressed up like a witch there!
That's more dancing in that evening than I've ever done in my life. You're crushing it.
Now I gotta start hanging out in bars! #autismforumpartygang

No one can cause you to feel a certain way (that's a cognitive distortion known as a control fallacy).

Your emotions are caused by the way you choose to think about what happens to you. Your low mood is caused by your decision to think negatively and focus on negative things in your life. If you choose to think positively and focus on the positive aspects of your life, your mood will improve.

CONTROL FALLACY
"Someone who sees things as internally controlled may put himself or herself at fault for events that are truly out of the person’s control, such as another person’s happiness or behavior. A person who sees things as externally controlled might blame his or her boss for poor work performance."
20 Cognitive Distortions and How They Affect Your Life - GoodTherapy.org Therapy Blog

"Control fallacies is an irrational way of thinking characterized by believing that one is “externally controlled” or has “internal control”. Being externally controlled refers to viewing oneself as a powerless victim of fate. Those with this kind of fallacy often blame others, luck, the weather, or other external sources for negativities that happen in their lives. On the other hand, having the fallacy of internal control makes one feel responsible for what others are going through. People with this kind of unrealistic mindset often blame themselves for the mishaps and other negativities which others are experiencing. Control fallacies is one of the most common types of cognitive distortions..."
https://www.alleydog.com/glossary/definition.php?term=Control+Fallacies

No one can cause you to feel a certain way (that's a cognitive distortion known as a control fallacy).

Your emotions are caused by the way you choose to think about what happens to you. Your low mood is caused by your decision to think negatively and focus on negative things in your life. If you choose to think positively and focus on the positive aspects of your life, your mood will improve.

Those incidents in Austin are in the past now and I feel much better now than I did that night. Please do not make assumptions about me, especially since my mind is in a better place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom