• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Low cost healthy meals thread.

You almost never have to give up the foods you love. Just learn new ways to prepare them. Even heavy foods like fettuccini alfredo or lasagna can be made very lean, but still taste the same, if you're willing to put in the effort in the kitchen.

Tacos can be very healthy. Instead of frying the corn tortillas, microwave or grill them for soft tacos. How about instead of the cheese, add more guacamole, and some lovely salsa? And plain, nonfat yogurt can replace sour cream. They have identical taste and texture.
Yes, everything in moderation. I enjoy bourbon but will only have about 1 to 2 oz on the rocks 3 times a week. It has the effect of reducing my blood sugar as the liver chews through the alcohol, with no rebound.

Naturopathic doctors will tell you to have high quality protein at every meal. The breakfast options are usually greasy though. So I've begun eating a tuna wrap every morning for breakfast.

I have decided that one of the foods I will be cutting back on is my homemade tacos. Mainly because I tend to drown them in melted cheese, sour cream and guacamole. Maybe I should figure out a way to make healthier tacos than that instead.

I also have come to the conclusion that most of my belly comes from excessive beer consumption. I can easily drink a 12-pack of IPAs in an afternoon and not have a hangover the next morning. I seriously need to cut that out of my life at this point.

Get rid of the beer and keep the tacos for a "cheat meal".
A cheat meal allows you a bit of breathing room so you don't get "dieters fatigue" and simply give up because you have deprived yourself of everything that you love.

Another easy recipe is "Enchilada Rice".

Put rice in a pot with enough water to cook it with. Chop up a couple of chicken breasts into the pot. Add lots of veggies, the more the merrier. Boil it all together until the rice and the chicken are done, adding more water as needed.

Stir in a small can of enchilada sauce, and any other seasonings to round out the flavor. You can either serve it like that, or stuff tortillas with it for burritos or tacos.
There is a lot of good healthy food in cucina de Mexico. My favorite enchiladas to whip up quickly are Enchiladas Suiza. Poach some chicken breast and thighs in oregano seasoned broth. When done, shred the chicken and mix in some chopped green chiles and chopped onion (sauteed). Make a salsa verde or buy a good quality one with roasted tomatillos and serrano. Heat each corn tortilla, put a little salsa verde on one side with the chicken, roll up and to finish cooking top with salsa verde and cheese. I heat under a broiler until the cheese is bubbly. I think this is fairly healthy, especially with a chunky guacamole. Two of these with good frijoles makes a nice meal.

Speaking of tacos authentic Mexican tacos are actually healthy. They are not served with cheese or sour cream. Just seasoned grilled beef, pork, fish or chicken. Sometimes roasted meats are used Coniments include grilled green onion, cabbage, chiles, lime wedges and you can add a zillion types of salsa. The best is cabeza!

Speaking of tacos authentic Mexican tacos are actually healthy. They are not served with cheese or sour cream. Just seasoned grilled beef, pork, fish or chicken. Sometimes roasted meats are used Coniments include grilled green onion, cabbage, chiles, lime wedges and you can add a zillion types of salsa. The best is cabeza!

Good point. I am a big fat American who likes big fatty Americanized tacos.

When I worked a little in Mexico, DF, I would go to El Charco de las Ranas. Simple dishes, but packed with flavor. Don't get me started on Oaxacan cooking! Their moles in en-casuela dishes eaten on a fresh corn tortilla are heavenly.

Yes my daughter grew up with carnes everything and leche cake and flan. Then of course pho and one day she surprised me. We were at old school dim sum. This tween (great grandmother/great grandfather from China) order chicken legs and happily devoured them. Our ancestors live on in us. Lol

OMG I love making fish tacos topped with hot sauce and shredded cabbage, and a squirt of lime. Yes!!!!!!

Casseroles/stews/soups. Very versitile, you can put in a wide variety of ingredients, bulk cook and then you can freeze it or make it last a few days.

Note about raw chicken, please watch a 'chicken - food handling and hygiene' video, cos it's highly a bacterial meat, so you use a separate cutting board and very hot water/bleach to clean. Straight from the bag into the pan/pot is easier if you don't want the extra hygiene work.

Enchiladas can be simply made with corn tortillas, stuffed beans/rice/onion/cheese & seasonings. Roll up, put in pan. Submerge the one layer like lasagne with tomato sauce mixed with taco seasoning. Top with healthy mozzarella. Bake for 350 for 30 mins. Of course some olives baked on top are also nice. Very easy meal, very filling. Corn tortillas are subjected to breaking apart but they are healthier then white flour ones and lower in calories and usually no preservatives.
Also line a glass pie pan with them (spray first with butter can spray), layer with beans, some cheese, another layer of corn tortillas and beans, onions, some cheese. Top with tortillas and pour a can of tomato sauce on top and then a little cheese and its Mexican lasagna at 350 ,about 25 mins. And any taco seasoning and hot sauce to take it to the next level. Serve with salsa and nonfat yogurt or just eat plain. To keep tortillas from sticking to bottom of pan, spread tomato sauce on bottom first, way easier clean up. Chopped cilantro is a nice fresh option for those who like it.

New Threads

Top Bottom