• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

losing my grip

kchapman1988

I'm in need of some advice, for a while now when i get tired my personality seemed to change, i would say things that were completely inaproprate.

while this was managable with lots of rest recently i've started to lose my grip on my sanity. i get hot, jettery like ive had too much caffeine, start talking to myself repeating words or phrases over and over. i get a thought in my head and thats all i can think about untill its done.

if anyone can explain this or offer some help that would be great as a previous time this happened i wound up at my local tesco at about 3 in the morning, not realizing how i got there just coming back to normal standing in the carpark.

i've decided to leave this up as it was written during an 'episode' and best describes my feelings at the time

It sounds like you are experiencing high levels of anxiety, a lack of energy, and a possible looming nervous breakdown. I have recently been experiencing some similar problems, so I'll give you my advice. First, don't isolate yourself in your room all day as I imagine you feel inclined to do. Doing this will only exhaserbate your problem, as it means you are not spending enough time around other people, and are therefore just brewing things over in your mind since that's the only thing you have to do. Second, staying in bed a lot means you aren't getting exercise, which could help your problem a lot. It's like what Newton said, "A body at rest tends to stay at rest, while a body in motion tends to stay in motion.

It will be hard at first to overcome habits to stay by yourself, but I assure you, you'll feel a lot better if you get yourself out there and talk to other people than if you just stay by yourself. Since it is so hard, and as I myself have experienced, the chance of relapse into those habits is extremely high, you should probably get some help from someone you trust, like a family member or close friend. I'd advise you reach out to them, fully explain your problem to them, and then request for them to help support you as you make your way through it, and again, it is vital that it be somebody that you have unconditional trust in, because they'll need to be patient with you while you're overcoming your idleness and getting yourself moving, and if you perceive that they're just looking down on you, then that will only cause you to fight with them.

That's my advice, just based on my own experience with a very similar situation. I didn't have to deal with the thing you talked about with the sleep walking or whatever that was that you were referring to there, and that part would be something you should probably just discuss with your therapist, and/or perhaps research here on the Web.

thankyou ravensly for the advice :) its not been fun and your right, i do tend to spend a lot of time in my room (and in bed truth be told) it doesnt help that my two nephews live with us and happen to be 2 and below... being screamed at and have stuff thrown at you does Not make for an encouraging place to be. :(

while i have this complaint thread open of my various crazy moments can someone explain something to me? i've been sitting in the jobcentre( or a medical thing) when i feel asthou i'm unable to move from the chair i'm in(strapped in place)my body is unable to move yet it feels like i have a caged animal trying to get out within me.

its asthou my body is a cage and my mind/spirit is thrashing against the bars snarling, snapping at anything and everything....

as you can tell im unemployed :(

Last edited:
For what it's worth you feeling "held back" bodily can be a way your body reacts to stress and anxiety.

And apparently body and mind don't really go along with you. You feel restless and don't have the motivation to do whatever you HAVE to do, but might have it if you find something you actually WANT to do. It sounds kinda obvious, but I've seen a lot of people not act like that and saw change when they did. So in a way, try to get rest and do things you enjoy, spend more time on hobby's... if you're allowed to do so. Being at a job center and such can be quite stressful and depending on your benefits situation there might not be a lot of "space"for you to move around in (in general if I'm in unemployment I need to be on the lookout for a job, thus I'm on edge. While if I'd be on disability that's much more laidback and stressless).

Getting into hobby's/things you like more might relieve stress a bit, and you might not have any "episodes".

It's kinda what my therapist told me (apart from her not really having any advice for my financial situation on benefits)... "keep doing what you like to do, keep yourself away from depression, cause I don't want you to end up over here over and over until we need to pull out meds cause you're in that bad of a shape.". It's quite sound advice from someone in the field I feel.

But it's just my 2 cents, hopefully it helps a bit

thankyou for the reply, it does help having people to bouce problems off that might have gone through similar things.
A lot of this i can never seem to get my doctor or family to understand or able to help with. its taken till now to go onto an aspergers website as i find talking to people with their own problems difficult... guess i was being silly as people like me but ones that can function would know how to help :)

No, you're not silly, and again I've been going through a similar problem. The thing with me is, I contemplate these things a lot, and think very deeply about them, trying to understand them at a fundamental level. My philosophy with both personal and other problems has always been what I call the "Hydra Model." I don't know if that's a more recognized model, but for me, it basically means that with virtually any complex, systemic problem like political instability, disease, social relationships, or psychological problems, it is completely useless to just attack the problem at the surface, and often, doing so will only make the problem worse.

Like the Hydra from the story of Heracles, if you just damage the surface of it, that part will simply be replaced and possibly even replicate itself virtually immediately. To truly solve such problems, you must go right to the source, and solve it from the vantage point of its very heart, the center of it where all of those heads on the surface you were fighting before came from. One of the most well known examples of a problem like this is Gangs. You can make a major drug bust, arrest 100 gang members, or even destroy an entire gang or drug cartel, but it will be completely futile and useless because the underlying heart of that problem hasn't been solved, and so all your work will just be undone, the things you destroyed being replaced virtually overnight. You can ask any cop or drug agent who has worked on this problem and they'll tell you the same thing.

In your case, as in mine, I believe that subconsciously you feel yourself stuck at a crossroads. All the authority figures in your life are standing at your back, pushing you constantly to go forward, but you don't know which path to choose, and are afraid that you'll make the wrong choice. You may know where you want to end up, but you lack the faith in yourself to be confidant that you can do the things you know you need to to get there. You also feel that if you do fail, you'll do so horribly and it will send you into a downward spiral where you could end up in some situation right out of a nightmare. That fear of uncertainty about your future has paralyzed you, and you don't know how to get out of it.

I've found that one of the main answers to this problem, something that can give you that confidence, is first, advocate for yourself. Don't just let other people make all your decisions for you. A lot of those things can seem overwhelming, not really in the decisions themselves, but just that they, combined with all the other things that happen to you, come at you so fast and in such quantities that you feel like you don't have time to solve them all.

Second, and more importantly, you have to explain to those people at your back, your family, therapists, doctors, or whoever, as well as your friends and anyone else you trust, that you need them to actually support you instead of just pushing you from behind. By this I don't mean they would coddle you and do everything for you, but rather that in that same analogy, instead of pushing you from your back, they would stand alongside you and walk with you as you made your way down that path.

Third and lastly, you have to look inside yourself and understand why you got stuck in the first place, what the things you were afraid of were, and then, objectively and proactively, take a closer look at them to see if they're really as daunting as you thought. This doesn't just include tasks you have to complete, but also things inside you, aspects of yourself, those pitfalls that we all have, that you need to see, comprehend, and then overcome.

Once you have done that, you'll be fine and on your way. I hope this helps you.

to be honest i've been 'fighting against the tide' for some time, as others on here i'm sure will relate i'd never gotten on well with people in school and thats just gotten worse with time, meaning a horrific fear of getting a job for one thing, combine that with no idea what i want to work toward.

failed fanatasticly with my last relationship by a combo of lack of motivation to do anything and fear of messing things up when i did

my teeth have been disintergrating for years with lots of dental work.

so i've basicly retreated to my room (in my parent's house) no gf, not able to have friends. add onto all this im steadily gaining weight.
i bet everyone on here is feeling better about themselves after reading this :)

Cannabis and/or GABA seem to solve all my problems. I swear, if the guy who introduced me to pot told me he was Jesus, I'd believe him.

New Threads

Top Bottom