• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Losing Actors/Actresses We Love

Riley

This isn't a tribute to Debbie Reynolds or Carrie Fisher. This is a rant that I'm praying won't get me hate. Or banned. Just hear me out.

It won't be fun when Arleen Sorkin finally kicks the bucket. Not just for the obvious reasons (I mean, she WAS Harley Quinn). But because you'll have people going "Margot Robbie's AWFUL!", "She'll never be Arleen!", and all that. Believe me; It WILL happen.

After all, it already did. Remember? Heath Ledger? I am in no way saying Jared Leto is the best movie!Joker. Think of it this way: There are three kids. The oldest, while popular back in his time, is a memory. The middle is a rising star in the community. And the third is just doin' his own thing.

Suddenly, the middle dies. Everyone mourns his passing. His younger brother, though, starts trying to follow in his footsteps. No one gives him any props. They just constantly compare him to the deceased.

Can't we all appreciate the fact Jared Leto didn't DIE?! It's 2016! Ledger died eight years ago. Both were determined to be the best Joker they could be. And Heath ended up killing himself. But when one guy manages to live, we start comparing him and saying he can never be as good.

I apologize for this, but Heath Ledger brought his death upon himself. These are kind of based off my Mom's views on Kurt Cobain's death.

Well, no hate from me...who's got time for that?

Maybe people who die from substance abuse "brought upon themselves." Maybe. But there might be another way of looking at things. Gabor Mate, a doctor who has been writing some wonderful things about those trapped in substance abuse, observed that it's not important to figure out the source of the addiction, it's important to try to find the source of the pain.

I excerpt the following from a now moribund Asperger's blog...

uTflMUK.jpg

(A young Amy Winehouse)

If you have no history of mental illness, it’s probably pretty easy to dismiss the death of a twenty-seven year old addict whose biggest hit was a flippant “no no no” to treatment. She had talent and riches and adoring fans. She had every possible resource available to her, but she continuously refused help. Clearly, she was carelessly throwing away her gifts and her life.

I didn’t know her, and I wasn’t in her head. But I can almost guarantee you that it wasn’t that simple.

The dismissive comments I’ve been reading on the internet about Amy Winehouse are getting to me. It saddens me that so many people think that a woman with her problems was entirely unworthy of sympathy and that she deserved what they consider an obvious and inevitable fate.

But what really breaks my heart is that that little girl up there would probably have agreed with them.

I really don't think that way myself. Well, except towards suicide. But only because...I dunno.

These are kind of based off my Mom's views on Kurt Cobain's death.

I vehemently disagree with your mother there. This is a very outdated view on ill mental health. No one chooses to get depressed. Dying from depression is just as valid reason as cancer. Suicide is the number one killer of young men in my country. It needs the same respect and compassion as other causes. Depression is a very serious mental illness.

Anyway, whilst the string of celebrity deaths saddens me - David Bowie going was just terrible - I am glad that the number of natural disasters was relatively low this year.

2016 has been a bad year for Celebrity deaths IMO, we've lost quite a few good people, including 4 since the end of last week.

Well, no hate from me...who's got time for that?

Maybe people who die from substance abuse "brought upon themselves." Maybe. But there might be another way of looking at things. Gabor Mate, a doctor who has been writing some wonderful things about those trapped in substance abuse, observed that it's not important to figure out the source of the addiction, it's important to try to find the source of the pain.

I excerpt the following from a now moribund Asperger's blog...

uTflMUK.jpg

(A young Amy Winehouse)

If you have no history of mental illness, it’s probably pretty easy to dismiss the death of a twenty-seven year old addict whose biggest hit was a flippant “no no no” to treatment. She had talent and riches and adoring fans. She had every possible resource available to her, but she continuously refused help. Clearly, she was carelessly throwing away her gifts and her life.

I didn’t know her, and I wasn’t in her head. But I can almost guarantee you that it wasn’t that simple.

The dismissive comments I’ve been reading on the internet about Amy Winehouse are getting to me. It saddens me that so many people think that a woman with her problems was entirely unworthy of sympathy and that she deserved what they consider an obvious and inevitable fate.

But what really breaks my heart is that that little girl up there would probably have agreed with them.

Unfortunately, here in South Central PA, that attitude isn't about to go away any time soon. Those damn hard-headed and hard-hearted Amish and Mennonites, ya know...

As for getting at an addict's actual, I can get a good idea what's causing the pain. It getting the addict to admit the problem causing the pain. I given up on some people since they know they have a problem, but don't want to do anything about it.

New Threads

Top Bottom