• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Looking for cleaning tips.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
On Friday, all of my co workers and my boss will be headed to my places after the office closes for a BBQ. But we all decided to eat inside my air conditioned house instead of outdoors in 95 degree weather.

Tomorrow after work, I am going to spend a few hours getting my place to an impressive state. I am not talking about clutter. I am talking about deep cleaning the whole mofo.

Any tips on how to do this efficiently as to not embarrass myself in front of my boss Friday afternoon?

I play music very loud when cleaning and say in my head: ok, this and this needs doing and after that, I can do what I want to do and it helps to keep me motivated and also, by keeping things clean every day, when it comes to deep cleaning, it is not much of a slog to do.

If you mean something different, to what I am suggesting, please say, and I will try to be more specific.

If it's really bad and / or you have animals, do a huge deep-cleaning early and then just keep up with the surface stuff until you're having them over. That way you can spot any last-minute issues and nothing will slip your mind. Look out for nasty baseboards, ceiling fan dust, or just general clutter as you go along.

I keep my house clean all the time, but usually go deep once every two weeks due to all of the dog hair everywhere. If someone's coming over, it gets an extra sprucing-up for sure.

Put a record on, and divide it into sections or stages with breaks - first wipe down the surfaces, then the windows, then the floor. Or first outside the house, then inside. Promise yourself a treat when you finish, an ice cream or whatever works for you. It's motivating yourself to get started that's the hard bit, once you start it's not so bad.

when i have a large cleaning job, i generally start by getting the majority of the clutter out of the way first (organized by section and type of object). after that’s done, i vacuum first and then work bottom up from floor to furniture, wiping everything down and then dusting. i also like to spray some mild fragrance and open the windows to get the cleaning chemical smells out, otherwise it makes me really dizzy. i think people generally care more about the cleanliness of the house more than they do the amount of clutter, so i tend to prioritize getting the grime off all the furniture and floor.

I guess my biggest issue here is finding the motivation to start when I get home from work today, and getting home will require walking two miles in 90 degree weather. After that, all I will want to do is take a cold shower, pop open a cold Diet Mountain Dew, and plant myself next to my AC unit.

maybe you DO do those activities, and then clean in short intervals with breaks or rewards in between. I have trouble starting as well so i don’t have great advice for that.

Ok, I made it home and now I am a literal puddle of sweat. I think I will take a quick cold shower and start hammering away at the cleaning. Maybe I will also prepare a cup of coffee for myself while I am at it. I know if I collapse into my recliner couch now, the chances of me getting out of it will be slim.

I know it can lead to bad habits but I usually use recently passed frustration or anger to fuel a cleaning frenzy, accentuated by appealing energetic music. Procedurally I would organize clutter, dispose of trash and non-essentials and get out of place things back to their spots I first load the automated tasks like dishwasher and laundry then lead into a top down clean up room by room with breaks and rewards. One thing I’ve found key is to push past any want for a break. Doesn’t have to be much but I usually start at 2-3mins and eventually get to around 15mins; always trying to squeeze a bit more because sometimes the break doesn’t end easily.. or at all..

;)

1659049663726.png

And everybody just left the BBQ all at once after three hours of chilling in the air conditioned living room. Anybody want to help me consume the leftovers over this weekend? I still have six burgers, ten sausages and five hot dogs left in my fridge.

New Threads

Top Bottom