• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Long time lurker, finally posting. Hi!

LittleLemon

Hey everyone. I've lurked for several months, and I decided to introduce myself. For some reason, I get anxious knowing several people will be reading something I wrote. It's always been unnerving!

Anyway, I am a 31 year old female with 3 children. I am getting an ASD assessment at the end of November, and I'm both relieved and nervous. My daughter (6) had an ASD diagnosis in April though now that I know what ASD is, it was glaringly obvious when she was an infant and I recognize similar symptoms when I was her age. My oldest son also has SPD. What took so long for my daughter's diagnosis despite so many people voicing concern was the fact that she was so like me and I'm fine...right? Well, no. Now that I think about it, my life has been a constant struggle with sensory issues, coordination, humiliation, being socially ostracized, being the bizarre girl, severe anxiety, wrong diagnoses, uncontrollable obsessions, frustrating insomnia, private and public (I cringe at those) meltdowns, sensitivity to medication to the point that I can't take much more than Tylenol, etc. Through forcing myself to join a book club, I met a few people whom I can call friends, but there seems to be a mental block and I can't ever seem to get that close to them. I can't seem to bridge the gap to a deeper friendship which I crave so much.

I just want to find a community I can belong.

Thanks for reading if you got this far :)

~L

Drawing-Girl-Say-Hi-Picture.gif

Thanks!!! Hi! Did you always know you had AS before you had kids or after? I struggle with parenting because I can't keep calm and I get overwhelmed and overstimulated from her difficult behavior. I have difficult behavior myself, so it's not always the best combination, BUT I insight on how she feels so my husband can understand. He's the calm one.

Welcome Lemon (̶◉͛‿◉̶) Glad that you stopped lurking.

First figured out that I was an aspie when I visited the site looking for information about my aspie husband's occasional meltdowns. As I became familiar with ASD I began to realize that I had many of the indicators, so Aspie married to an Aspie who is also much calmer than I am.

Welcome Lemon (̶◉͛‿◉̶) Glad that you stopped lurking.

First figured out that I was an aspie when I visited the site looking for information about my aspie husband's occasional meltdowns. As I became familiar with ASD I began to realize that I had many of the indicators, so Aspie married to an Aspie who is also much calmer than I am.

Wow! I wonder if that's pretty common for aspies to naturally find other aspies. I was talking to my physical therapist about my husband and she just casually asked if he was ever evaluated. The thought has gone through my head before, but didn't think about it too much.

I wonder if that's pretty common for aspies to naturally find other aspies.

Don't know how common it is, but the two aspies that I know as friends both have a wife and a boyfriend who share their interests. Can only speculate that both of them might be on the spectrum.

New Threads

Top Bottom