• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Living with Asperger's and PTSD day to day?

RaydonRaven

This is something I've been trying to figure out for more than 20 years, I just didn't know it until recently. I was diagnosed with PTSD about two and a half years ago, and Asperger's only recently. I'm not looking for discussion/debate of PTSD or anything; I did medication, two years of counseling and several months doing EMDR therapy. I'm just curious, if anyone else has the same two conditions, what has actually worked in helping cope from day to day?

I'm under a crap-ton of stress right now and non of my regular strategies are helping much. But they're all for PTSD or ADHD...

Exercise - lots of walking and running - and limiting stimulants such as caffeine, to a moderate amount. Taking myself and my issues logically as much as possible, and when necessary, staying home and being with pets.

Getting out my anger. I may vent to somebody, beat up a pillow, rigorously exercise, or do something in some way that let's me express how furious I am over the events that gave me the PTSD. After I finish with that, I try to go find a good distraction like one of my hobbies or something that'll have me focusing hard enough on it that I can bury it again for a while.

Hiking at least once a week most weeks. Star Trek reruns. Playing guitar. Journaling. Google searches on anything that's possessing my thoughts. Working with a therapist (we've been trying equine therapy the past couple of weeks). Forcing myself to spend time with people, like church group meetings or dinner with a friend. And my hubby's TLC.

I've been through much of the usual stuff, too...long-term therapy, meds...and some not-so-usual approaches. So far, nothing has really overcome the issues, just helped me ride it out a little better (at times).

I was dx'd with PTSD and clinical depression back in college...early 90's. Packed it away for about 17 years right after getting married then starting to have kids. But it kept lurking in the background, and I just coped as best I could while searching on my own for answers. Then my defenses fell apart a couple of years ago after moving closer to my family. It's been a rough couple of years since this stuff came back to the surface, and it was through dealing with all of this that I discovered the AS layer.

I got C-PTSD and found out not long ago that I'm on the spectrum as well and know how it feels,I deal with nightmares based on my past traumas and even yell out in my sleep,I try to deal with it by focusing on my hobbies like collecting dolls and old comic books and I'm getting myself to draw again since I've struggled with a bit of a block,but you are definitely not the only one with both these conditions and you will probably find others here who have similar stories too.

New Threads

Top Bottom