• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Living alone\independently on the autism spectrum

Aspie_With_Attitude

V.I.P Member
From my YouTube channel, I had completed my second last video for 2019 discussing independent living. If you don't like opera music, must warn you that I mixed an opera tune which is something I like to have done a while ago, just wanted to get it over with.

In this video, I discuss what it really takes to live alone, without your parents in particular. I am only taking from my experience at this time of my video upload on the 14th December 2019 that I had for more than 18 months lived alone without a partner. I haven't been interested in getting into any relationships.

I had mentioned that it's not an easy task, it's all about understanding personal hygiene, money handling skills and domestic skills. Overtime, I'll get into more detail on how to really look after yourself when living alone.

Please feel free to comment on what it's like to live alone and how manage these life skills:
- Personal Hygiene (Brushing your teeth and taking a shower)
- Domestic Skills (Cooking, washing clothes or dishes and vacuuming)
- Money Handling Skills (Savings, paying your bills and managing rent\mortgage)
- Maintaining steady employment

Good you are helping out with essentials in life. They should have this in high school, most students graduate and have no idea what to do.

Good you are helping out with essentials in life. They should have this in high school, most students graduate and have no idea what to do.

I agree. They really need to teach this in school. But on the flip side. Why aren't parents teaching these skills to there children. I really think that this is the reason that they don't teach this in school. It's the parents responsibility to teach these life skills to their children.

I agree. They really need to teach this in school. But on the flip side. Why aren't parents teaching these skills to there children. I really think that this is the reason that they don't teach this in school. It's the parents responsibility to teach these life skills to their children.
My autistic daughter resisted brushing her teeth as a child and hated the "yucky clean feeling" she had after bathing. These are still issues for her today. Are you saying I shirked my responsibility?

Guess it helps sometimes if the info comes from someone else, then the young adult may pay more attention then to one's own parents. Sometimes selective listening comes into play, where younger people tune out what the don't wish to hear.

Good video - many young people go out on their own without being aware of what is needed to maintain proper independence. They eventually figure it out, but why waste time and resources making a series of mistakes. "Learning never stops" is very true. There are always new, different, or better ways to manage life on your own. I find that keeping a wall calendar with space to write notes or reminders very useful.

Please feel free to comment on what it's like to live alone and how manage these life skills:
- Personal Hygiene (Brushing your teeth and taking a shower)
- Domestic Skills (Cooking, washing clothes or dishes and vacuuming)
- Money Handling Skills (Savings, paying your bills and managing rent\mortgage)
- Maintaining steady employment

These skills are sorely lacking in the population in general. This is just making Autistic synonymous with dirty hippie.

New Threads

Top Bottom