• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lingering Resentment towards my mother

So update for anyone who's curious,
I decided to try to talk with my mom about one of our many issues. Specifically her going months without answering her phone or turning it on, ane her response: shes not speaking to me.
I actually don't know the extent of her not speaking with me, it might be short term, long term. But if I can't get her to talk about the simplest of our problems then we might as well be done. Like many of you said, I can't expect her to change, so I won't. Which means she's not really worth having in my life. So thank you everyone for your support.
That is so sad to hear.... It is true, you can't change people, they are who they are. We either have to accept them for who they are or leave them. I never leave anyone... I am always there if they need me but i don't put forth the effort to call them if they don't call me.
I think we always think our parents are super human or something that they have plenty of love for us and are perfect people... unfortunately many are not. In fact no one is. Just some are better than others. In my case (and i am not an aspie, my son is) it took me years to understand him, I didn't know what he was facing as an aspie, i found it easier to just leave him because i figured i am there if he needs me, and if he doesn't want to talk to me then fine when he does need me then i am there. but the thing I think about is how troubled people are and people would rather stay away from them then try to understand what they are going through because it is harder to deal with and i never want to be that kind of person. As I got to know my son's hardships mentally and physically we became closer because now for the first time I UNDERSTOOD why he was the way he was. He didn't talk as far as his hardships or emotions , he was a closed door and it took years to break that door down but in the end it was worth it. We text every day now and he can talk with me now. He used to hide his emotions deep inside and would not let it out for public appearance. closed himself off so to speak. I know it is an Aspie trait to not go out but there is a difference than feeling no one cares. Sometimes you shut yourself off to love, maybe you don't feel worthy of it or you hide because you know you have not been the best person to other people so you don't want to face it, or simply have problems you don't even understand and that all hurts everyone. It piles up mentally and before you know it, it feels you can never get out. I tried just a kind word when they would accept it, hammering one kind word into the mountain, chipping it away for them. Kindness and love can never go wrong, you don't have to be there 24//7 but please don't just walk away either. She may need you more than you know but even depression causes you not to want to talk or deal with your world. One thing I have realized is if someone is troubled it doesn't help to bring out that trouble, it just socks it deeper into why they don't want to talk... Try saying something like I really miss your beautiful face mom, just nice things, If you try and get into a conversation of what she does that bothers you it will keep her away if she doesn't want to deal with that, but kind words will open that door and eventually lead to deep discussions. I know that is only my brain thinking of what i do, and it doesn't work for everyone and that is okay.... We don't all fit in the same category just offering my thoughts. On the opposite side of that...not everyone accepts our love either but never stop because of what other people do.

Hi Rebecca, I feel for you - I also have some parental difficulties. :/

Thank you, on another forum last year i had talked about my mother, and everyone made me seem like a complete jerk.

There are a lot of people around who fetishise mothers. It's crazy really because being a mother does not always turn you into an amazing person. But I've seen what happens when people make the (usually hard) decision to cut off from mother, or parents, and there are often a lot of people who are very judgemental about it.

Having said that - when I read what you said about being mad at you Mum when you were younger and her telling you you not allowed to feel that, I have to ask: Was she telling you that you couldn't feel it or that you couldn't express it the way you were? How were you expressing it?

I ask because I grew up with a parent whose anger ALWAYS took pride of place. According to my parent expressing anger was important, useful, necessary for health and so on. HOWEVER they expressed it (and continue to now) in a way that is damaging for those around them.

Like many of you said, I can't expect her to change, so I won't.

It's sad, but true. I wish you the best

Hi Rebecca, I feel for you - I also have some parental difficulties. :/

There are a lot of people around who fetishise mothers. It's crazy really because being a mother does not always turn you into an amazing person. But I've seen what happens when people make the (usually hard) decision to cut off from mother, or parents, and there are often a lot of people who are very judgemental about it.

Having said that - when I read what you said about being mad at you Mum when you were younger and her telling you you not allowed to feel that, I have to ask: Was she telling you that you couldn't feel it or that you couldn't express it the way you were? How were you expressing it?

I ask because I grew up with a parent whose anger ALWAYS took pride of place. According to my parent expressing anger was important, useful, necessary for health and so on. HOWEVER they expressed it (and continue to now) in a way that is damaging for those around them.

It's sad, but true. I wish you the best

Hi, ty, it was more specifically I wasn't supposed to be mad at her. And it was always followed by because she was the adult and im the child, and children shouldnt get mad at adults. And she would say it to me at from 4 to 18

Hi, ty, it was more specifically I wasn't supposed to be mad at her. And it was always followed by because she was the adult and im the child, and children shouldnt get mad at adults. And she would say it to me at from 4 to 18

I see. How awful, I’m sorry :(

New Threads

Top Bottom