• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

light sensitivity/photophobia

mothgirl12

Hi, I'm looking for a solution for my light sensitivity. I feel like I've gotten pretty good solutions for other sensory issues, and I have a solid "sensory soothing kit." Light sensitivity is tough though, and it also most commonly triggers meltdowns for me. When I'm outside I wear sunglasses, but often times I am triggered by white light in indoor environments that aren't even very bright, so if I wear sunglasses I then can't see. Has anyone tried blue light blocking glasses, or migraine glasses for light sensitivity? I've considered getting them but most seem very expensive so I'm hesitant. Thanks :)

On most days I like to keep all the blinds closed, and I love going out at dawn and dusk, when it's cooler, dimmer, the birds are singing, and the sky is painted in beautiful colors. I often walk to the store in pitch black night, between 7 and 9 p.m., and I avoid the main highway. I walk through the dark suburban streets, even though it takes twice as long.

Inside my house, I only use 60 watt full spectrum incandescent lighting. It gives a soft glow with all the colors of natural sunlight. No harsh fluorescents or LEDs. Also, TV is only for movies. I have candles and oil lamps if even the lightbulbs are too harsh. I play soft music, and try to make it as home like and comfortable as possible. It's my nest.

Wear blue-light glasses.

Admittedly I'm no Brad Pitt but blue-light blocking glasses are amazing. The small picture is a pair of cable-temple Agstums which I very much enjoyed wearing. They worked OK--so do Gunnar Optiks. The more generic the frame, the better--you want them for the lenses, so technically any frame will do, but get a plain frame as it will fit in for all occasions.

I also suggest wearing some kind of a hat. There are many hats both of modern and traditional styles that will probably work well for you; I rarely leave home without one.

Dimming the monitors on your computer--
Set the Night Light mode on Windows 10 or download the blue light app for a Mac
Light your room with incandescent bulbs at about 40 to 60 watts (some LED may be good but your mileage may vary.) I also have used kerosene lamps to defeat photosensitivity. Kerosene lamps are brighter than candles but they smell weird if burned too bright. Also, fumes.
use a typewriter or pen & ink instead of writing on a computer; this lets you avoid screen problems.
Use external speakers instead of phones w. bright screens to hear podcasts if you are into podcasts. I am not but I like music so instead of watching music on YouTube I use the radio.

Also--I find that light sensitivity comes more & more when we're all stressed out, so a relaxed life helps a great deal.

Attachments

• DSC01371.JPG
    DSC01371.JPG
    510.3 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
For electronics, if you have an iPhone or iPad you can install the Smart Invert shortcut to toggle it on or off. It makes the background black and the text white on all apps. It really helps me. Dark mode I also always have on. On my Mac dark mode is also on and for my browsers I use a global dark stylesheet. On Safari you can use the Cascadea app to install them for you. On Chrome and Firefox I use the Sylus plugin to do the same thing. In the house I have the shutters always down and lights off most of the time.

The tint that I have on my daily wear glasses mainly for indoors is designed specifically for blocking the blue lights that can cause migraines, etc. The tint in the optical industry is known as FL-41 tint. I would be that specific in requesting it from an optometrist. The tint is NOT blue. It's a bit of a brownish/rose color. I have it very light and I've been wearing these tinted glasses for about two years. I would never go without a pair of glasses again without an FL-41 tint. Coincidentally I have an eye exam next week and will be picking out new glasses. I'm tempted to go even a shade darker on my daily wear glasses.

There is a company, Theraspecs, that sells FL-41 tinted glasses in various frames with non-prescription lenses. They ship to the U.S., Canada and I believe abroad. They also will do prescription lenses. My son who is autistic as I am, uses the non-prescription glasses from Theraspecs to filter the fluorescents at school. I got my glasses from my optometrist. They had to request the FL-41 tint samples from the optical lab that actually makes the glasses. Anyone who is interested in having their optometrist offer the FL-41 tint should probably call the shop ahead of time and explain that you have photosensitivity and you're looking for a very specific type of tint called FL-41 and ask them if they have samples of the tint (in light, medium, dark, etc) and if not, can they get samples for you. The samples will come as circular lenses to hold and look through.

TheraSpecs: Glasses for Migraines, Light Sensitivity, and Concussion

In addition to helping to prevent migraines in many people, FL-41 tint has been purported to help people with autism. I believe this is true. It is for me, no question. Why? Wearing my FL-41 tinted glasses has an undeniable calming effect on me. "White" light is too brash and intense for me. Wearing my FL-41 tinted glasses seems to help my brain go: "Ahhhhhhhhh (relaxed)".

I'm a believer. Absolutely.

Last edited:
I have the same problem with bright white light like fluorescent or LED lighting, these new energy-saving LED bulbs are the worst. I don't have these in the house, and wear sunglasses even at night to protect my eyes from them, otherwise it's too uncomfortable. When buying bulbs, I always check the specs that they are 'warm.' I've turned the brightness right down on my PC and phone, and set my phone to automatically go into dark mode at night. I have f.lux installed on my PC, which filters out blue light at night.

I have a pair of 20% yellow tinted glasses that are pretty great (I got them from an online place that makes Rx glasses to order). They help a lot, especially with bright headlights when driving at night (hard to believe such a light tint can have such an effect, but they do).

I got a pair of "blue blocking" glasses from my eye doctor, but they were the non-yellow tinted ones and they were horrendous. I wore them for one day and had to have the lenses remade. They were the type that reflects blue light instead of absorbing it - they reflected it right back INTO my eyes. It was like having my head wrapped in blue Christmas lights!!!

Hi, I'm looking for a solution for my light sensitivity.

Any bright light hitting my eyes from an overhead angle or artificial light at any angle triggers migraines for me.

I arrange my work sight to reduce adverse exposure, use incandescent lights behind me, a baseball cap (but is adverse for office culture). If the shades are drawn, I feel claustrophobic and get eye strain from close viewing.

I got a pair of "blue blocking" glasses from my eye doctor... It was like having my head wrapped in blue Christmas lights!!!
:eek:

I have the same problem with bright white light like fluorescent or LED lighting, these new energy-saving LED bulbs are the worst. I don't have these in the house, and wear sunglasses even at night to protect my eyes from them, otherwise it's too uncomfortable. When buying bulbs, I always check the specs that they are 'warm.' I've turned the brightness right down on my PC and phone, and set my phone to automatically go into dark mode at night. I have f.lux installed on my PC, which filters out blue light at night.

I agree the "cool" blue lightbulbs are terrible.

Noticed l am a tab more sensitive to lighting. I live in semi-darkness because of the soothing quality which l currently need. Also prefer evening chores now. Sometimes the sunlight seems too intense when l am needing stress relief. Or my PTSD is a little too close to the surface. But l have my ear right next to the speaker of loud music, and it is fine. My living room walls are painted the most muted soothing color of sea foam green. So the natural light hits it just right but l am totally curtained up.

Maybe those FL-41 glasses should be used to test for Autism. Lol

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom