• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Life After College Situation (Question)

Steve A

Even though I'll be graduating from college in a few weeks, I still have a question, along with some concerns about my specific situation that I'm currently dealing with at the moment:

Despite me working and volunteering with the football team and the athletic department throughout my college career (which connects with my major), I was told by my parents and a few professionals that my college major is usually competitive in nature. Even though I agree that college sport teams and professional sport leagues are hard to get into, depending on the situation, I still believe that I may have an equal opportunity, only if I put all of my focus towards my future career goals.

However, my main problem includes me not going above and beyond, along with not being ambitious/motivated enough when it comes to networking and reaching out to people within my field of study. I was also told that I should've had something lined up after I graduate, but due to Covid, along with having an easy-going/go with the flow personality (which is an excuse IMO), I haven't used LinkedIn or Indeed as often until as of recently when I was told that I should start looking for "better paying" jobs or any opportunities that connect more towards my major since my graduation date is quickly approaching.

Furthermore, my future career revolves around working behind the scenes of college or professional sport teams. Stadium work, preparation/planning, and equipment management are my career interests.

I'm just wondering if I still have a good opportunity since I'm starting later than most graduates? As of today, I'm using LinkedIn and Indeed more often and I plan on contacting more people with similar college majors as me, so maybe I'm starting to turn a corner?

On an extra note, I was told by some of my friends that everyone is different when it comes to their own lives and that I should focus more on my own career path rather than comparing myself to others.

For those on the spectrum, networking is one of those things that doesn't come to many naturally, and unfortunately, that can result in a lot of missed opportunities, especially in fields where a recommendation from the right person will get you further than having the best resume in the world.

Looking for work is a job on its own, and in the past year, despite having a stable job, I've probably spent 50-60 hours on job applications in addition to about 15-20 hours looking at job ads. I don't do networking (my field is about having meticulously written applications), but if I were to switch into almost any other field, that's probably another 25-50 hours over the course of a year.

If I can leave you with one piece of advise, it's to cherish and maintain the connections you've got, whether that be on a networking site or just via email or a call now and then. I've had situations where I found myself unable to apply for a job because I was unable to reach a past manager who had since left the organization I knew then from for a reference.

I'd say don't undercut yourself by comparing yourself to other candidates. Do the most energetic job search you can. Start networking now, and continue into the future.

A lot of sport activities are just slowly getting started due to the pandemic, so if you can pick up some hours doing something else, anything else just to get a little income, that would be a good idea.

You might need to get into your field through a backdoor arrangement... like taking some unrelated job at a university just to get on campus, and then waiting until your ideal entry-level job opens up.

Can you apply your expertise to a job outside of college? Something like setting up for a different application? Can your skills transfer or be applied elsewhere?This is a tough job market, and our ability to see outside of the box may come in to play if you think about it. Or apply for something, maybe the employer will take a chance on you. l applied for legal assistant and was hired even though l had zero trainning. But employer was willing to give me a shot.

As an educator and as someone that has worked within the field of medicine for over 34 years, I have dealt with many students attempting to enter the work force. The most difficult hoop to jump through is actually getting the first interview. This is why it is encouraged to put yourself out there on several "head hunting" web sites, networking, etc. Each semester there are waves of graduating students, waves of potential new employees entering the work force, all across the country,...and if you are looking to get into a niche profession,...the competition is going to be there. People who actually do the hiring need to know you are out there,...if not,...someone else who is, regardless of how much actual talent they have, will get the attention and first interview, and potentially hired.

Autism spectrum or not, people who are "laid back" and "relaxed" will find themselves doing just that,...at home,...unemployed. This is something you have to attack.

My experience having graduated from college was that EVERYTHING became competitive in nature.

My first real scrape with adulthood, learning just how difficult it was to get a good job as opposed to just any job. Where just looking for work became a full-time job in itself.

Welcome to the real world. o_O

I know this may be getting "the horse before the cart", but when you do start making some money,...(1) pay yourself first,...(2) have a "side gig" (an investment account, Robinhood, side business, etc.),...and THEN (3) figure out your cost of living, bills, etc. Savings accounts,...limit that,...no interest,...no earnings,...put a % of your income into investments.

Take it from an "old fart" that was told just the opposite,...and struggled for many years. As a kid,..."Put your money into savings." "Save for a rainy day." I made the mistake of living at "what I could afford",...and had little to nothing for savings and investments. This is the model of how to be poor and stay poor. Wealthy people always look at something as a business and an investment,...and on paper, they own nothing,...that's why you can't tax wealthy people,...they own less than you and I. You have to tax the business in order to get any money,...and even then it's difficult. Elon Musk invested nearly his entire PayPal earnings into Tesla,...and borrowed money to live on.

You're young and are just starting out. There is something to be said for earning money the easy way, or the hard way.

New Threads

Top Bottom