• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

LGBT Directors & Artists

Riley

I figured, with the Wonder Woman movie coming up, we could talk about certain actors/actresses/directors/authors/etc,. who swung for other teams.

• Clive Barker
  • Richard O'Brien
  • Joel Schumacher
  • Elena Anaya

In acting we have some real-life gay actors effectively portraying both gay and straight characters, as well as some real-life straight actors who have effectively portrayed both gay and straight characters. And in directing/writing/producing I don't see great style and quality being indicative of talented straight people any more than talented gay people.

Whether in front or behind a camera, it's all about talent. Not sexual orientation. ;)

Whether in front or behind a camera, it's all about talent. Not sexual orientation. ;)
True, but I think that for those who find themselves in marginalized groups it is reassuring to know that people like themselves can be valued members of society. Media, by its nature, provides high profile examples of people's contributions.

I think it is also important that minorities be given the opportunity to portray themselves. I am not saying that straight people should never portray queer people, but that if they dominate the conversation too much it is bound to lead to a greater imbalance of power via cumulative misconceptions and stereotypes. This goes for any minority.

I think it is also important that minorities be given the opportunity to portray themselves.

In principle I'd agree with that. Provided it doesn't give any ideas to those in Hollywood so well known for ruthless and unending typecasting which perpetually limits the careers of so many actors on so many levels.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom