• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

let's talk about love

If I felt shame, I think it would come from knowing "in love" and love are not the same.
Our bodies were created to feel that high which comes from the love chemicals
dopamine and oxytocin mixed with lust.
That's just how we were created to ensure reproduction of the human race.
The why of that has always been a mystery to me.
Somewhere in our knowledge, we know this, but like any drug high, it feels good
at the time.

When the high wears off, if you haven't established a well-grounded relationship
that you are comfortable with, then you'll want another hit of the feel good juice
and seek it out elsewhere. IF the high is all you find desirable, then as the song says:
...you might as well face it, you're addicted to love.
Like two giggling teenagers, blushing, playing hide and seek with each other and exploring the backseat of a car.
Why do they act this way?
There seems to be a sensation of, " look at us, we've found the forbidden fruit!"
But, it can be so much more with time. Or less. Depending on the individual.

Loving some people also made me ashamed, bc i thought my feelings were too intense and it disgusted me. It felt suffocating.

There was one person i loved though that loving him made me feel free, and i will always cherish those feelings. I think it was bc he was a great person and partly bc i was in a good place in my life at that point.
I can relate to what you're saying. At one point in my life, when infatuations were all that I'd ever experienced, I felt the most intensely. In high school with crushes, and then with one girl in college. Was I just young and immature (literally, due to my premature birth) or was it just my autism? Granted, the one lingering experience of infatuation in college which stuck with me might have been due to the fact that the other girl may have had autism...but I don't know.

When I initially fell in love with my current partner I was very ashamed of it as well. I thought it would ruin a perfectly good friendship, that it'd bother people, that it's some sort of betrayal. A whole bunch of stuff.
I think now this was mostly a translation of fear. Since you seem to have experienced a kind of reverse of this, maybe you can ask yourself if there's anything you're afraid of that may be related?
I kind of relate to you a little bit. My fiancee is in this same situation where a lot of their guy friends end up falling for them romantically and it's usually the same conundrum: they admit their feelings, my fiancee thinks rationally about it, the two of them discuss, and either the friendship dissolves due to general awkwardness from the guy or their friendship kindles into something deeper. They don't fall for my fiancee out of the fact that they're engaged, but the fact that my fiancee truly is a good, caring, compassionate individual who listens. It's sad that many young men will just...get feelings for someone who listens to them without judgement and is compassionate.

I can relate to what you're saying. At one point in my life, when infatuations were all that I'd ever experienced, I felt the most intensely. In high school with crushes, and then with one girl in college. Was I just young and immature (literally, due to my premature birth) or was it just my autism? Granted, the one lingering experience of infatuation in college which stuck with me might have been due to the fact that the other girl may have had autism...but I don't know.
My experience is the opposite. I think the only time i fell in love was when i was in high school. After that i only had intense crushes on people i don't really know well, and whom don't know me. There wasn't much of a connection.

New Threads

Top Bottom