• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Let's dive in

Thanks! I explained it above, but that was an interesting read anyway.

Perhaps. However do you view this as a simple case of oral fixation or something else? I'm not so sure. Chewing foreign objects is one thing. Actually ingesting them quite another. Especially for someone approaching adulthood.

Ingesting such things sounds like something beyond what I'd consider a stim alone based on the science of such practices.

Perhaps. However do you view this as a simple case of oral fixation or something else? I'm not so sure. Chewing foreign objects is one thing. Actually ingesting them quite another. Especially for someone approaching adulthood.

Ingesting such things sounds like something beyond what I'd consider a stim alone based on the science of such practices.
I stopped to ponder for a while, but I didn't find anything else. Also, I only noticed after your quotation that the statement was ambiguous haha, sorry. I used to ingest all these objects when I was a child, nowadays I only ingest when I bite my pens too hard lmao

I used to ingest all these objects when I was a child, nowadays I only ingest when I bite my pens too hard lmao

Ahhh. Gotcha. That sounds understandable.

That at this point in time it's not an intentional thing that happens. Yeah, I'd think that would remain within the realm of an oral fixation. That could describe many adults. Though I hope you aren't a smoker.

Yes, the things you mention definitely can count as stims. I mean, MOST people stim, but for NTs it seems to be smaller things... twirling hair or tapping fingers. For those on the spectrum alot of our stims tend to be a bit more... intense. Or weird. Or complicated. Or all three. My own stims are: Picking/peeling at the skin on my left hand (yeah, sounds gross, but I'm used to it and it's not like it hurts whatsoever... satisfying to do, actually), driving with the window open (yes, a big action like that can be a stim), and if I get seriously agitated, I'll rake my fingernails down my arm. That one is not pleasant, but I will do it anyway.

You'll find alot of people here have funky stims like that.

And yes, the sensory stuff is definitely related to autism/spectrum/whatever. It's maybe the most common aspect? From what I"ve heard anyway.

So, what sorts of interests do you have?

Welcome to the forums, by the way.
Took me some time so answer, it's just that I wanted to answer but words were failing me lol. Some of my fondest interests are linguistics and language learning, reading, music, movies... I've been hyperfocusing on MBTI and cognitive functions for the past months, and now I'm absorbing the most I can from autism related content. I love anime and atm I'm head over heels over a cute little cartoon called "Bee and Puppycat" and I'm a diehard neopets fan (the community is awesome!). My favorite movie is called Perfect Blue and I can't get tired of it it seems (some scenes as quite graphic so watch with moderation haha) What are some of your interests?

Took me some time so answer, it's just that I wanted to answer but words were failing me lol. Some of my fondest interests are linguistics and language learning, reading, music, movies... I've been hyperfocusing on MBTI and cognitive functions for the past months, and now I'm absorbing the most I can from autism related content. I love anime and atm I'm head over heels over a cute little cartoon called "Bee and Puppycat" and I'm a diehard neopets fan (the community is awesome!). My favorite movie is called Perfect Blue and I can't get tired of it it seems (some scenes as quite graphic so watch with moderation haha) What are some of your interests?

My interests mostly revolve around gaming. Video games mainly, and lately I'm getting into board games (though I only play solo). Buying up alot of those recently, quite enjoying them. I also like anime but read manga alot more. I find that most of the series that I think are good never get made into actual anime... modern anime seems *obsessed* with fanservice, harems, and "OMG GIRLS". I get bored of that fast. Often the very same series are all fights, all the time (like Fairy Tail for instance). When it comes to actually watching anime, I prefer older ones. Iria, Armitage the 3rd, Outlaw Star, Serial Experiments Lain (what a drug trip THAT one is)... things from that era. They were alot better at storytelling and character development without having to devolve into "BOOBS BOOBS BOOBS" at least once per episode.

There's exceptions though... I liked Date a Live for... some reason... but they're rare. Right now the series I'm most into is The Ancient Magus Bride. Oddly that one did get an anime, which surprises me. I also particularly like horror stuff, but those are rare. Corpse Princess (I think that's the name) was really good... except for the very end, that was just infuriating. I remember yelling "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT" at the screen when that bit happened.

Conventions and cosplay, that's another one. I have no restrictions on how often I can go to those, so if I find one within a tolerable driving distance, I will set up a hotel and go.

Hm, also I have an odd affinity for creepy stuff. I seem to have particularly developed an odd obsession with creepy dolls. No, I dont know why. I sure do have alot of photos of them though. I'd just outright buy some, but... I'd have a hard time explaining that one to family members, haha. I mean granted they just sorta accept that I'm bloody strange to begin with, but still.

Lastly, yeah, I also read alot of books! I'd say Dean Koontz, Stephen King, and Jeffrey Deaver are my favorite authors. Again, lots of horror stuff, and for some reason crime/mystery stuff.

How about you, any particular favorite authors or genres? Also what is MBTI?

New Threads

Top Bottom