• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Let us increase our physical activity!

Man... I would love to master my physical health. I've literally never been in shape. I've never known what it feels like to be healthy. But I detest physical activity.

It doesn't make sense to me that I'm expected to just change that about myself. I would love to see that same amount of societal pressure applied to people who don't like to read or who don't know how to play an instrument for example. The world might be a more interesting place.
I don't think there's all that much pressure to actually be fit. All the social pressure is to look fit.

True fitness is invisible. Blood pressure, sugar metabolism, resting heart rate, and ability to exceed normal levels of effort without distress. The ability to get through a normal day of work without fatigue.

Fitness is also relative. Fit as compared to what? There is always someone who is less fit than you. Or maybe in comparison to your recent self.

The question is why you detest physical activity. Everything in life is physical activity.

I don't think there's all that much pressure to actually be fit. All the social pressure is to look fit.

True fitness is invisible. Blood pressure, sugar metabolism, resting heart rate, and ability to exceed normal levels of effort without distress. The ability to get through a normal day of work without fatigue.

Fitness is also relative. Fit as compared to what? There is always someone who is less fit than you. Or maybe in comparison to your recent self.

The question is why you detest physical activity. Everything in life is physical activity.
I detest physical activity for the sake of physical activity. Concepts like "working out," "exercising," "getting in shape," etc.
I love hiking. I love walking. But I live in a midwestern city where there really aren't any opportunities to hike or walk.

When I do get into the mood to "work out" regularly, I'll stick with it for a few weeks and then give up the habit once I realize I'm not seeing any results - physically, psychologically, or emotionally.

I detest physical activity for the sake of physical activity. Concepts like "working out," "exercising," "getting in shape," etc.
I love hiking. I love walking. But I live in a midwestern city where there really aren't any opportunities to hike or walk.

When I do get into the mood to "work out" regularly, I'll stick with it for a few weeks and then give up the habit once I realize I'm not seeing any results - physically, psychologically, or emotionally.

I definitely think that some people (especially more extroverted types) probably do much better with something like meditation over exercise, and I definitely don't think that either one is for everybody. A good test is to push really hard once, back off a little and reflect on it. If that makes you want to do it more, you might get hooked!

This is so true. The best part about those benefits is how they feel, too. But I think there are a lot of people out there who aren't as sensitive to the shift as some of us, and to them it might not matter much anyway.

I definitely think that some people (especially more extroverted types) probably do much better with something like meditation over exercise, and I definitely don't think that either one is for everybody. A good test is to push really hard once, back off a little and reflect on it. If that makes you want to do it more, you might get hooked!

This is so true. The best part about those benefits is how they feel, too. But I think there are a lot of people out there who aren't as sensitive to the shift as some of us, and to them it might not matter much anyway.
I enjoy the act of working out. Working my muscles feels good, and after a solid workout, there's a pleasant afterglow. I'm really body-centric and I can feel it. On the treadmill, I get into a meditative state. Many people can't and just stick in their earbuds to listen to music.

A long time ago, I tore my right knee meniscus. They did arthroscopic surgery, but it never fully healed. So I dropped out of going to the gym... for 30 years. But now I'm back. I really don't like the sloppy condition I have fallen into. My waist has expanded too much. If I want to keep hiking, I no longer have the natural condition I had when I was young. I have to keep working on it in the off-season.

Now I remember how I enjoyed it all those years ago.

I think a lot of people never get there. Maybe they start out too strong and end up with a raw throat and gasping for breath or get a stitch in their side. The next day pain from working unused muscles prevents them from continuing. Maybe they've worked for a couple of weeks and get impatient because they don't see progress. There's a "no pain-no gain" mentality you get from PE instructors and drill sergeants and macho types that is really toxic to someone who just wants to be healthy, lose a few pounds, and not be exhausted by daily life.

You don't have to feel pain if you are willing to take your time and don't try to compete.

There's a "no pain-no gain" mentality you get from PE instructors and drill sergeants and macho types that is really toxic to someone who just wants to be healthy, lose a few pounds, and not be exhausted by daily life.

You don't have to feel pain if you are willing to take your time and don't try to compete.

To be fair, there is some truth to that saying, but I think it's likely rather dependent on the situation.

I personally have to ascribe to that particular concept, due to my own physical condition. In my case, it really is "no pain, no gain". The solution to the problem always hurts, but if I dont do it, it just leads to much worse pain.

The dumb part to me though is if someone pushes themselves into that when they dont actually need to (or pushes others into it just "because", which is worse). There are definitely some people who, as you said, do it out of some sort of ridiculous machismo.

Granted, I'm perhaps not in a position to speak about that as I'm the direct opposite of THAT concept, but still.

That's just my thoughts on the matter.

There is a natural human desire to share with others what we enjoy. And NT seem to have a desire to convince others to do what they do. I have seen that with autists too, when we believe stongly in some value, we expect that value to be universally shared by all people.

So people who smoke will want me to smoke, people who study will want me to study, people who have a dog will want me to have a dog, people who go to the gym...

Some of those things are good for me, like eating healthy, some are bad, like smoking.

Mankind seems to work that way. I also recomend others to read books that were helpfull for me. We are social animals.

I think its important to find a way to increase your heart rate and get a little sweat going. Getting some exercise is a part of my overall summer plan. I plan to get hiking as soon as spring starts to arrive. I’ll start with some light hiking and slowly I plan to hike with a pack as heavy as my feet and knees can handle. Ive set a mental/physical challenge for myself this year and I cant wait to look back on that (future) accomplishment.

I am looking for motivational partners to keep me accountable when it comes to hitting the gym, going on long walks, hell even playing some DDR on the PS2 counts as a workout.

Let us motivate each other and eventually be buff and ripped. Currently, I can only bench press 140. I need to work on that.
Starting my Tai Chi training. How you doing, Metalhead?

1674394819319.jpeg

Every day, at least once a day, I get the dog out for a walk long enough to get all the poop. That usually takes about 2 - 5k. I walk fast and eventually get a small runners high going. I love that. Its my zen moment to get to a point where the dog is wandering around carefree with a little bounce in his step. Not a care in the world. Time has stopped for him. It brings me so much calm to see him like that.

Ring Fit Adventure for the Nintendo Switch is a good option to have a good workout while playing a video game. I personally like it far better than Wii Fit as you can set alarms to have specific workout reminders and you can create your own workout routine if you don’t want to use the RPG story mode. The weird thing is Nintendo somehow made an anthropomorphic dragon sexy and I don’t think it was intentional either. I’m not the only one to think that either.

I remember when I was 10, I was very physically active and very slim. Then I was hospitalized and put on massive doses of Lithium. I spent my 11th birthday in a psych ward full of doctors who thought chemical restraints were the solution to my sensory meltdown issues. When I got out, I spent many years hearing fat slurs from everybody in my family hurled at my direction.

Lithium sucks and should be outlawed. That is all.

I am looking for motivational partners to keep me accountable when it comes to hitting the gym, going on long walks, hell even playing some DDR on the PS2 counts as a workout.

Let us motivate each other and eventually be buff and ripped. Currently, I can only bench press 140. I need to work on that.
Perhaps there are apps to help join a club I using Google fit and looking back I don't see that these can be really accurate as the battery and not carrying the phone throughout the day. Maybe some one can recommend a app to motivate or this forum works great too. Mayne start a thread... How do these.tings work?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230126-112324.png
    Screenshot_20230126-112324.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20230126-112238.png
    Screenshot_20230126-112238.png
    137 KB · Views: 31
I am going to start doing tai chi with weapons. I will start in private with the goal of finding a class and others to practice and spar with.

I may not become buff and ripped, but I could take on someone who is. :smilingimp:
Oh I practice as often never making anything a habit because then they may think I have an addiction problem. I admit it, I drown out the outside world with my headphones blasting away.

I remember when I was 10, I was very physically active and very slim. Then I was hospitalized and put on massive doses of Lithium. I spent my 11th birthday in a psych ward full of doctors who thought chemical restraints were the solution to my sensory meltdown issues. When I got out, I spent many years hearing fat slurs from everybody in my family hurled at my direction.

Lithium sucks and should be outlawed. That is all.
Oh sorry friend those psych wards are hell as an adult i can now imagine what my brother went through as a teenage when they could only put him in because they thought he was suicidal. And then income around finally caught for hiding all the classic autism traits and I volunteer into these places with them thinking and asking if I need restraits. And then I speak very loudly for every person I. The floor to witness so they can all make up for their own story because it you understand psychological or in religions case theocratic warfare, then some times you have to make them think. They are winning. Geez the terror that I have seen inside a psych ward and I walked in this last time and walked out two days later when the doctors.admotted they can't help me and I said I will takey chances on the streets. Yes I have been discriminated, bullied, assaulted, sexually harassed in the last ten years. Thank God I became a trucker in my twenties to find god and keep me stable those this. But seriously the power I have in my little squawny arms I have to pray and ask for restraint but power can get to a person's head you know.

New Threads

Top Bottom