• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lefty or Righty?

Which hand is your dominant hand?

• Left

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Right

Votes: 29 64.4%

• Total voters

kris

I was just thinking about this today and wondering if there was any correlation between handedness and ASD. There are 3 generations of suspected aspies who are also lefties in my family. My guess is no correlation, but now I am curious.

So... left handed or right handed?

If this were the case, pretty much all women in my extended family would have ASD. That seems unlikely.

If this were the case, pretty much all women in my extended family would have ASD. That seems unlikely.
Ah I meant the other way around.. not that lefties are aspies but curious if aspies had more of a tendency than the general population at being lefties. people always used to comment how weird it was to be good at math and left handed.

I'm right handed, but pretty good with my left, too. Not quite coordinated enough to call myself ambidextrous, though. :p My dad and grandmother are lefties (my dad had to learn to use his right hand after a serious injury that did some permanent damage). My 4 year old seems to be like me. Right handed, but quite capable with his left. He wants to write with his right hand, but his letters are actually better with his left (I can't convince him to switch, though).

I'm right handed. Everybody in my family but my mom's brother are right-handed. My husband is also left-handed.

I am about 80% right handed (including writing) but i prefer my left hand when doing other tasks like playing pool or bowling.

I was born right handed (check my avatar :p), but a burns accident when I was 4 meant I had to re-learn to be left handed.. wasn't easy at school, when I was forced to attempt right handed writing and couldn't even hold the pen.. peculiar humans :confused:
Still, as is said, lefties are artistic, charismatic, handsome and intelligent.. what happened to me then? :D

I think I have meant to be both but I didn't really utilize that ability. My mom told me that I might have been lefty, I took a pencil for the 1st time into my left hand, but she placed it into the right, so I drew and wrote with my right hand ever since. I didn't have that many issues with it. I do some things with left hand, but I write and draw with right.

I am left handed. But growing up in a right handed world, I've learned to be ambidextrous. I write, shoot a rifle and play pool left handed. I golf, throw and bowl right handed. Almost everything else I can do either way. However, I am very clumsy and do poorly at almost all physical activities.

I am left handed. But growing up in a right handed world, I've learned to be ambidextrous. I write, shoot a rifle and play pool left handed. I golf, throw and bowl right handed. Almost everything else I can do either way. However, I am very clumsy and do poorly at almost all physical activities.

You just can't decide which one to use, Mr. Clg114. That's what the problem is. :rolleyes:
You shoot any clay pigeons with that rifle of yours?

You just can't decide which one to use, Mr. Clg114. That's what the problem is. :rolleyes:
You shoot any clay pigeons with that rifle of yours?
No, but I do shoot clay pigeons with my shotgun. The rifles and handguns are for shooting targets, because I do not hunt.

I was born left-handed into a right-handed world, and had to learn to use my right hand, much like clg. I went to a catholic school for the first few years of my educational experience, and they did not appreciate it.

I'm right-handed, but this reminds me that my favorite philosopher, Charles S. Peirce (who I strongly suspect had Asperger's...others have speculated bipolar), always lamented that he was not able to put his thoughts into words well enough because he thought visually, and was convinced that this was tied to his being left-handed.

When writing my left hand is the dominant, even if it doesn't does a good job. But outside of that it varies, i can use both left and right about the same.
So i didn't vote because i don't really know what i should select.

I've been right handed for as long as I can remember. If I try writing or drawing with my left hand, it won't turn out well.

At first I thought this would be a political topic. :D But am relieved it is about dexterity. I am certified right handed. I try to teach myself to use the left to share the work load these days (like in digging or hammering), but it is not easy and the left doesn't have the same coordination, though it is the same strength-wise.

New Threads

Top Bottom