• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Learning Other Languages

FromEquestria2LA

Hey, all. Have you tried learning another language on your own? I've been doing this since 2000 with Japanese. It is quite the complicated language. I've also gotten into French, because I love Canada. :D

What about you?

Love learning different languages. l learned French and Spanish and then forgot some. German was difficult. Finnish was difficult. Then l would think things with Spanish and French words together in one sentence which disturbed me. If l couldn't think of the Spanish word, my brain would insert the French equlivant like my brain was too lazy. Definitely would love to take again. And there are great apps for this. Je adore Francais.

Isn't it J'adore?, or Je t'adore, Francais!
i forgot most French I had in school and highschool. I used to love it and get top grades but some words sound nothing like Romanian, and confusing because they are similar but mean different things. Both are Latin provenient languages.

Trying to learn some German now with someone native. 'Zieh an meinen Haaren!' c;

They use capital letters on nouns.

Also look how nice it sounds in songs!

Last edited:
Swedish is probably the easiest language for English speakers to learn. The sentence structure and many of the words are almost the same as English.

I did best with French when I went on a French exchange as a young person. In retrospect I think this is because I can copy/hear and reproduce it, better than learn through processes like being told it's grammatical structures and given lists of vocabulary etc. I switched off with stuff like that, it was dull and I didn't see the point, which was never clearly explained.

So possibly just learning through listening and repeating would work for me, I should try that. As a child I learnt some Welsh that way, as Welsh schools taught it in juniors although the teacher we had for it was prone to temper tantrums throwing stuff and smacking people on the back of the head. Back in the 60s. My sister lead a protest about that.

Hey, all. Have you tried learning another language on your own? I've been doing this since 2000 with Japanese. It is quite the complicated language. I've also gotten into French, because I love Canada. :D

What about you?
It seems like a lot of people on the spectrum are more proficient at learning languages because they recognize patterns. I’ve language knowledge in German and French. I’m also a big fan of learning “dead” languages like Latin.

Isn't it J'adore?, or Je t'adore, Francais!
i forgot most French I had in school and highschool. I used to love it and get top grades but some words sound nothing like Romanian, and confusing because they are similar but mean different things. Both are Latin provenient languages.

Trying to learn some German now with someone native. 'Zieh an meinen Haaren!' c;

They use capital letters on nouns.

Also look how nice it sounds in songs!

Yes, you are correct. But people who don't speak French can read that and know what l said. lol. J'adore - most people can't guess what that means.

Like I said, Swedish is easy. I know from studying it on Duolingo. However, I am no good at learning languages. I forget it instantly. Something about being an aspie, sort of like face blindness. I just can't learn languages. I can study them. But I can't learn them.

I learned Modern Greek and Romanian on my own. I also started learning a few languages on Duolingo, but Duolingo is full of bugs, wrong translations or not accepting an answer I know to be correct, or not accepting sentences with very minor mistakes like typos - or accepting sentences with major mistakes that really were totally wrong - so I got frustrated with it and eventually gave it up.

I'm learning Rusisan. Have been for a while, but only ever sporadically. I'm thinking of taking lessons though,

What about you?

What about you?
The order of study was German, Dutch, French, and then Spanish. However, never got fluent enough in any of them. Spanish was the easiest because there are so many venues to use it in the states but then I got frustrated with the many different accents from some 23 Spanish-speaking countries. Sometime early last year I decided to revisit my 'failure' at French. I listen to Ici Premiere from Quebec, read 20 Minutes on-line, and connected with a French pen pal through Conversation Exchange. Slowly I am getting better. Working my way through "l'Étranger" alongside a translation. I don't quite understand how the English translator can read so much interpretation into the French. I am pretty impressed with that.

I was rubbish at Latin. I think partly because the many subjects presented to me at the early stages of secondary education were overwhelming. I needed to narrow down. I dropped latin after a year.

What about you?
to be honest still learning American English,grasping color ,smart,dumb,mechanic ,fries,high school ,school! Ham and eggs oatmeal,Sunnyside up the new York borough accents make it difficult

I did best with French when I went on a French exchange as a young person. In retrospect I think this is because I can copy/hear and reproduce it, better than learn through processes like being told it's grammatical structures and given lists of vocabulary etc. I switched off with stuff like that, it was dull and I didn't see the point, which was never clearly explained.

So possibly just learning through listening and repeating would work for me, I should try that. As a child I learnt some Welsh that way, as Welsh schools taught it in juniors although the teacher we had for it was prone to temper tantrums throwing stuff and smacking people on the back of the head. Back in the 60s. My sister lead a protest about that.

Totally agree with immersing oneself in the language and culture. I had a lot of fun and wish I had the time and money for more back in the day.

My top memory from French immersion was:

Classmate: Comment dit-on "dinosaur" en Francais?
Instructor: Le dinosaure.

I think partly because the many subjects presented to me at the early stages of secondary education were overwhelming.
Yes, that secondary school is overhelming. I need to know well about many areas including langueges, maths, science, history, computer programing...

I learnt Esperanto back in 2017. It was an easy language to pick up.
It works a bit like Lego blocks. Unfortunately I didn't meet any other speakers of it in person.

I often use Morse Code on ham radio. I became interested in it from listening to aeronautical beacons on shortwave radio. There is something magical about it too.

I am currently learning Japanese, Cree and French. My main focus is Japanese as I would love to live and work there one day. I have always loved language learning! In my pre-teens I made the attempt to learn Arabic, Russian and Scottish Gaelic, but lacked the resources to really stick with it so I remember literally nothing, lol.

EDIT: I forgot one! I just started learning ASL as of like 2 weeks ago

I'm learning German, mostly through online courses and books. I may attempt to get an international certification later this year, if I reach B2 level and I'm confident I'll pass the test.

I want to learn French and Korean later.

New Threads

Top Bottom