• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Learning Disabilities

V.I.P Member
I've heard that people with AS often have learning disabilities associated with that.

I tend to be very slow to pick things up at first, like it takes a while for all the pieces to fall into place. Once they do I tend to do okay. I was the last kid in my class in 1st grade, out of 30-something kids, to be given the books to start reading (there was a series of books and we had to start at the first book, but there was only a limited number of "first books" so the smart kids got them first and the slower kids got them when the smart kids had finished). I remember one of the girls in my class at that time saw my mother pull up in her car to pick me up from school, and felt the need to run over and tell her that "142857 is always the slowest at everything".

Once I started reading I basically read everything I could get my hands on. Within a year I was reading at almost an adult level, I was the only kid out of 2 classes in 2nd grade who maxed out the reading test at a reading age of 12 years and 10 months (about double my actual age at the time).

Much of my life has gone a lot like that, I often struggle with new concepts. It almost always takes a while for the pieces to fall into place.

At some level it has been an advantage. I can go through a lengthy technical or business document and things that don't make sense basically jump out at me, whereas other people are looking at it from a "higher" perspective and tend not to notice. While I am poring over every detail trying to make sense of it in detail first before the concept behind it starts to come together in my head. I have always been good at mentoring junior programmers and at explaining computer-system related issues to non-technical people, because in order to explain things I am able to break them right down into easy-to-understand concepts and components.

I have Semantic Pragmatic Language Impairment. Or something like that.
I'm not sure if I do actually have it or not, when I read the description it does seem a lot like me though. I'd much rather give people a list of the diagnostic criteria for that than AS to describe how I am. Esp. people in my own range who often get pissed off with my thought process and the way I speak.
TBH I'm thinking now I'm more schizoid PD and dysthymic- it seems to fit better than AS and SPLI. There's people I know with AS and they seem to have the social maturity several years behind them or whatever, but I think the reason I don't get along with people my age is because I actually can't be arsed. I've talked to people face to face before in my own age range and got along fine, the only problem is when there's too much anxiety or they happen to hate me(there must be some people who don't have AS who are hated).
EMZ=]

I always had problems with mathematics. I would do tests, where I would lose points for the following issues, I would read and write the numbers in the wrong order, I would forget about the comma or put it in the wrong place, I would sometimes just write down the answer I did not see how I got to it, but I did sometimes, for some types of questions know the answer, put it down and get down rated because I did not really know how I got to the answer, so I did not put down my working. Sometimes I would sit and wonder what the working would be, and it would waste my time. I struggled with my times tables (still do). I just hated maths... I wondered about why this and why that, why was Pi 3.14.... I memorized the numbers in Pi and tried to read about it, but I never found a good explanation. And the teacher could never give me a satisfying answer to my constant Why this and WHY that... I hated learning these formulas and things I could see no point with....

Today of course I understand these things better, but for me it would have done a world of good if they had started with philosophy and simple logic and built on from that.

I also struggled with grammar not because I thought it was hard, but because I did not see the point of learning it and knowing the names of all these functions in language.

I always had problems with mathematics.

People often say to me that I must have always been top of my class in mathematics, that I must have got 100% in all my exams. But I am only good at maths stuff that I find interesting and that makes sense to me, that I can break down into simple calculations. Stuff like stats and probability. Maths was actually my lowest mark in my final exams in high school.

@Anti-Socialite: I was extremely similar with methods when I was younger. Me and my tutor would spend like 4 hours twice a week or whatever trying to make me remember how to do long division and long multiplication and I'd never be able to remember it.
I still don't know how to do long division or long multiplication using conventional methods.
But what's weird is that I actually do quite well on exams because I just figure out the methods in my head on the spot. I can't follow my math teacher at all, but I've never not been able to come up with a method on my own by just looking at the formula. I only noticed that this was the best way for me to learn when I was like 13 though so yeaaah.
I've always got good marks in Science and Maths but only recently have I gotten good marks in English. In Primary school and probably 11-12 years old I got terrible marks in English.
When I was 14 I was very interested in certain philosophers but now I'm just interested in meta-ethics, I don't have that much care for anything else. I do spend hours though, ever since I was around 13, most days, watching YouTube religious debates, even though I've identified as an Atheist since I was around 10 P:.
EMZ=]

I don't seem to have any issues apart from maths, I get the numbers mixed up and everything and I have no idea why it happens and normally a lot of people are intelligent at maths, but meh... I just don't know?

I could possibly have dyscalculia like Ruby but I'm not too sure, because some of the equations I can get right but it takes me an awful long time to figure at least one equations.

That's probably one of the problems I'm having.

This is a good site for people struggle with math, even if you don't have diagnosed dyscalculia.

http://www.dyscalculiaforum.com/news.php

On the math theme, I was very good at math until I got into Senior High as our teacher was a twat. He kept saying things like "Now, I'll show you an easy way to do X,Y or Z" to which the class was like "Easy? BS! You've made it harder!".

I don't think I have any specific learning disability other than misinterpreting things - which I'm told is an Autistic trait.  I suppose I can also be slow to pick up on some things to - i've noticed this in some college classes. I tend to need teachers to clarify things.

In class I tend not to ask the teacher questions as much as I should though. IDK I just don't like going up to the front of class to ask a question or get help. I'm hopefully going to be starting back at college this week with the help of a classroom learning assistant though. However, I won't be working in class - using the library instead as I can't get up early in the mornings for regular classes. I also have found it hard to adjust to my new class since being held back a year due to absence.

Throughout school I have been told by teachers of how mature I am compared to others my age. Teachers always seem to be singing my praises about how well mannered I am and that I actually enjoy learning. The only thing I have been criticized for is my very poor attendance due to health problems, bullying and other stuff.

This is a good site for people struggle with math, even if you don't have diagnosed dyscalculia.

http://www.dyscalculiaforum.com/news.php
Oh my goodness, I had a look into the website and I've found that I actually have some of the symptoms.

http://www.dyscalculiaforum.com/viewpage.php?page_id=1

Poor memory for the "layout" of things. Gets lost or disoriented easily. May have a poor sense of direction, loose things often, and seem absent minded. (Remember the absent minded professor?)

May have poor athletic coordination, difficulty keeping up with rapidly changing physical directions like in aerobic, dance, and exercise classes. Difficulty remembering dance step sequences, rules for playing sports.
I mostly have issues at remembering dance moves because simply, I'm just not very good at it.
Yet my athletic coordination is excellent. (yet rubbish at catching).

Difficulty keeping score during games, or difficulty remembering how to keep score in games, like bowling, etc. Often looses track of whose turn it is during games, like cards and board games. Limited strategic planning ability for games, like chess.
That also happens to me also.

But in a way, I'm just pretty unsure if I have it, does this website also have a test where you get to find out if you have it or not like the aspie test but dyscalculia version?

Poor memory for the "layout" of things. Gets lost or disoriented easily. May have a poor sense of direction, loose things often, and seem absent minded. (Remember the absent minded professor?)

May have poor athletic coordination, difficulty keeping up with rapidly changing physical directions like in aerobic, dance, and exercise classes. Difficulty remembering dance step sequences, rules for playing sports.

Difficulty keeping score during games, or difficulty remembering how to keep score in games, like bowling, etc. Often looses track of whose turn it is during games, like cards and board games. Limited strategic planning ability for games, like chess.

That is all exactly like me. I get lost or disoriented very easily. I totally suck at Checkers, little kids beat me at it even when I am trying really hard. I am not good at chess or other strategy games either. But I love Scrabble because you don't need a strategy, you can play each turn on its own merits. Watching me try to dance is embarrassing. Except that I am really good with numbers, I don't even need to write the score down even in something like bowling or scrabble, I can keep all the numbers in my head.

Some dyscalculia symptoms overlap with autistic traits, too.

There arent any good online tests, you'd have to get formally evaluated. Everyone is different, but for what it's worth I have all the symptoms except maybe one.

I've always been really good in English or subjects that are "read and memorize" like history and some sciences. I've been described as "hyperlexic" even. But whereas letters form as clearly in my mind as my reflection, numbers just get jumbled and give me a headache. I've never been able to mentally carry over numbers and do have to use my fingers a lot of times because its less painful than trying to calculate something in my head. I struggle in low level maths, let alone harder stuff like algebra and geometry. I have so many problems remembering/understanding the steps involved with those. It all seems rather pointless to me anyway.What do I care about finding the value of side x? What's worse is that sometimes I have been able to learn things I have problems with, but then I forget it easily. So within a few days its like I've never seen it before. This was always an issue in school because the teachers just figured I was lazy and didn't want to do the work, so a lot of time I did not get any extra help. And what times I did manage to get some sort of extra after school help or whatever, it was always in a full classroom with lots of other kids. I needed a small group, that's not helpful...

Dyscalculia is one of my confirmed side conditions. I hope that if ever decide to take some college courses- which I want to do sometime soon- that they will work with me on the math requirements because there is no way I will be able to perform the college math.

You should all check out "dysgraphia" and "dyspraxia" as well. Dysgraphia is another one of my confirmed side conditions.

I'm pretty sure I don't have dyscalculia. I have always had poor handwriting, but not to the extent that I would call it dysgraphia. Dyspraxia - most likely.

As Ruby pointed out, it is probably a crossover between dyscalculia and autistic traits. At a guess I would say that I wouldn't qualify at all as having a learning disability, I simply process information a bit differently due to having high-functioning-autism. There is no way that I qualify for dyscalculia by any stretch of the imagination, but it is simply odd that I seem to have every symptom except that I am well above average with numbers and mathematics.

I've never been diagnosed with a learning disability, but I do have a very hard time understanding directions & what is expected of me. When it comes to assignments, etc. professors rarely explain things with enough detail & preciseness so that I can understand it. Then, when I tell them that I don't understand what is expected of me, I am often met with negativity by them.

i have dyselxia a long with my AS also have issues with ym receptive and expressive langaure

"Dyscalculia is one of my confirmed side conditions. I hope that if ever decide to take some college courses- which I want to do sometime soon- that they will work with me on the math requirements because there is no way I will be able to perform the college math."

Be prepared to major in liberal arts, choose a school based solely on the leniency of their math requirement, and fight like hell.

There are some schools that will waive a math requirements for liberal arts majors with a diagnosis of dyscalculia, but they are very few and far in between. Your best bets are non-traditional colleges, but then you have to find one that is actually accredited, which is a whole other game.

New Threads

Top Bottom