• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Learn social skills first before a relationship?

I am not emotionally ready to accept another person by my side, let alone a steady partner. Learning social skills systematically would be good, but when the time is right and ripe, it will come and I'll have a significant other.

A reminder: it's not women en masse rejecting you. The global population is in the billions---the number of women who've rejected you is very, very, very small.

For a while, I used to think that I probably wouldn't find anybody either. And I'd be lying if I said that didn't bother me to some degree. But Ste11ares is right. If you start thinking that finding a significant other will solve all your problems in life, you'll miss out on all the good things that are already right in front of you.

I didn't really actively look for anybody myself. I unsuccessfully asked two people out before I met my current (and so far only) boyfriend. I didn't expect to love him as much as I do---in fact, I found him more than a little irritating at first. And we don't even like too many of the same things, which made me worry sometimes. But after being friends with him for a long time, I realized that I'd finally found someone who seemed to care about me . . . and he really did, because for months I didn't even know he returned my feelings. He was afraid of taking advantage of me. Two years later, we're still together. It hasn't been easy, especially since we're long-distance, but I wouldn't trade the time I've had with him for anything.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's okay to keep looking for a companion. Just don't let it consume your life. And don't be afraid to take a chance on someone unexpected.

I think it's important that your happiness doesn't depend on getting a girlfriend. Even if you do want a girlfriend, which is all right, your happiness shouldn't depend on it.

I would agree. If you can find happiness within yourself, you will better adapted to demand placed on you when you enter into a relationship.

I am happy when I am doing things what I love to do. I have been proactive for my career and its progressing pretty well. But I'm not happy when I'm forcefully being socially isolated and doing things I don't like.

Generally I am happy about myself. I have fine body and looks. I enjoy my nice personality and not awkward/shy when approach to people (been doing campaigns and public speaking so I'm used to this).

A romantic relationship with whom? Generally, the answer ideally should be yes. However, learning from someone else who's been there, done that, and mastered it and willing to help u with yours to some degree, could be good too. If they truly are a master, or pretty close to it.

New Threads

Top Bottom