• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Last thing you won?

I didn't win a prize for this, but I managed to answer a question in our office do's Christmas quiz which no-one else got right:

What is the total number of presents received from "my true love" over the Twelve Days of Christmas?

If you listen to the words, the true love (or ex by now!) sends the recipient a new installment of presents each day plus a repetition of all the previous gifts. So the overall sum equals
1x12 + 2x11 + 3x10 + 4x9 + 5x8 + 6x7 +
7x6 + 8x5 + 9x4 + 10x3 + 11x2 + 12x1 = 364.
You can speed this up if you notice the symmetry in the above pattern; you need only calculate the addition sum up to the sixth day (182) and then double this interim result to get 364.

You could probably speed up the calculation even more by using a formula for triangle numbers, but I couldn't find one on Wolfram Mathworld when I last looked.

I won several bets on basketball)I follow several championships in Europe and of course NBA. My favorite NBA teams are LA Lakers, Boston Celtics, Denver. :)

I didn't win a prize for this, but I managed to answer a question in our office do's Christmas quiz which no-one else got right:

What is the total number of presents received from "my true love" over the Twelve Days of Christmas?

If you listen to the words, the true love (or ex by now!) sends the recipient a new installment of presents each day plus a repetition of all the previous gifts. So the overall sum equals
1x12 + 2x11 + 3x10 + 4x9 + 5x8 + 6x7 +
7x6 + 8x5 + 9x4 + 10x3 + 11x2 + 12x1 = 364.
You can speed this up if you notice the symmetry in the above pattern; you need only calculate the addition sum up to the sixth day (182) and then double this interim result to get 364.

You could probably speed up the calculation even more by using a formula for triangle numbers, but I couldn't find one on Wolfram Mathworld when I last looked.

I would never have guessed that. At first I thought 12 but then I remembered that the true love sent a number of presents that matched the day. But I never thought there's also a "repeat" of all the other gifts. I just thought those were the previous from the days before.
I guess I'm not very smart at all. :(

But I did wonder if a partridge in a pear tree counts as *two* presents. Does the pear tree count as a gift, too? And what about the pears? :)

Tim Horton's was having it's "Roll up the Rim" contest again, and I won a free coffee. That was a couple of weeks ago, but it wasn't until this past Friday when I happened to be walking around downtown that I remembered, so I went to Tim's and got the coffee and bought a doughnut.

Must have been at our 2017 Christmas party. I won the raffle which was $400. I gave half of it to my gf at the time who bought half of the tickets. Then ended up giving my half to a coworker who lived a few houses away and his house just burned down.

A fifteen dollar gift card from the local liquor store, along with that a twenty-five dollar discount for a local shop. All inside a bag of two hand-made soaps, at a charity fundraiser for the local elementary school's lunch program.

New Threads

Top Bottom