• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Landscape photography... And how formulaic it can be

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
At our camera club executive meeting tonight, some people discussed a photographers talk from last night who they were raving about, so went to look him up...

Gavin Hardcastle – Fine Art Photography

Some excellent landscape oriented photography, yet I look through them and I have no desire to have taken any of those photos, even how perfect photography and editing has become lately, I just have no desire at all... Maybe why I never win photo competitions with my far more imperfect photos (ask me if I care :rolleyes:)

I've heard thoughts and opinions that the current landscape photography has become almost too perfect and boring

For some imperfection (I mean technically) just look at the link in my signature... :) But then if some of you like that kind of photography (the first link), I won't hold it against you... :D

Last edited:
Nothing ill meant at all towards that artist you looked up, but to me those photos don’t look exactly real. I think a lot of society has become infatuated with photographs that are almost shockingly edited to perfection. I get that it’s art, and every artist is entitled to their own craft, but personally I have a strong preference towards photography like yours. I like that it looks “real” and natural and friendly.
Nowadays pretty much everything is Photoshopped so the line between photography and editing is blurred a bit. I don’t mean anything offensive or negative towards people who like that kind of art. I don’t think it looks bad either. His photographs are very pretty. I just prefer less dramatic editing and more emphasis on natural beauty, whether that’s landscapes, people, animals, food, architecture, etc.
I think your photography is awesome :)
Some of the new high-end cameras that are coming out are amazing but they’re REALLY expensive so not everyone has access to the tools they would need to create such pieces. I very much appreciate simple and natural photography. My photographs are “plain” by most people’s standards too but I like them. I enjoy creating art and most of my art is simple. Everyone has a different preference and art is very subjective so no one is in the wrong :) But my personal preference is the more natural looking stuff. So I think you’re doing a great job!

Nothing ill meant at all towards that artist you looked up, but to me those photos don’t look exactly real. I think a lot of society has become infatuated with photographs that are almost shockingly edited to perfection. I get that it’s art, and every artist is entitled to their own craft, but personally I have a strong preference towards photography like yours. I like that it looks “real” and natural and friendly.
Nowadays pretty much everything is Photoshopped so the line between photography and editing is blurred a bit. I don’t mean anything offensive or negative towards people who like that kind of art. I don’t think it looks bad either. His photographs are very pretty. I just prefer less dramatic editing and more emphasis on natural beauty, whether that’s landscapes, people, animals, food, architecture, etc.
I think your photography is awesome :)
Some of the new high-end cameras that are coming out are amazing but they’re REALLY expensive so not everyone has access to the tools they would need to create such pieces. I very much appreciate simple and natural photography. My photographs are “plain” by most people’s standards too but I like them. I enjoy creating art and most of my art is simple. Everyone has a different preference and art is very subjective so no one is in the wrong :) But my personal preference is the more natural looking stuff. So I think you’re doing a great job!

And I completely agree, and yes art/photography is ultimately subjective...

I look at those photos and I can tell that they would appeal to a lot of people, but they're not the kind of thing that I like. Same goes for that generic look of their Youtube videos. It's clear they know what sells and what's popular and that's what they pursue.

As above, they don't look real and I'm not keen on the long exposure shots with water, or how overly vibrant people think photos needs to be. Some sort of overtly colourful hyperrealism.

But it's the same for art - I don't enjoy portraits. I can admire the skill involved, and the accuracy and textures etc.

As you said - it's all subjective. A lot of popular culture and trends has absolutely no appeal to me. Sometimes I wonder if I should adjust what I do in order to be more successful, but I'd rather stick to my niche.

If might not appeal to as many people, but I don't really care. I wouldn't want to sell out in order to get more sales.

Ed

I like both, probably because it appeals to both the Realist and Idealist in me. My own landscapes are less on the edited side as well, but I still appreciate ones that are prettier and idealistic. I don't think I could ever pick a side.. To each their own like you've said.

New Threads

Top Bottom