• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Kind of confused by parents, even mine

William Weiler

Ad Astra
They have this weird idea I should conform and be accepted, yet I prefer my one best friend and prefer to spend my time alone. I don't care so much for people who I need to act a certain way to accept me, can't I just hang with my friend's instead? What is wrong with the stuff I do or my interests if it makes me happy? If someone is missing an arm, it will frighten people because is is not typical. Should she wear a prosthetic arm so no one will be frightened? Maybe it is better people get used to her not having an arm? I kind of think my unusual behaviors are like that. And this weird idea everyone should see me as the same as them and therefore "safe", when most people ignore each other, or are indifferent? When I was at Xerox, I had to wear a suit so executives would be comfortable. They can't be comfortable if I don't wear one? That is kind of weird.

Yes, people feel threatened by things which are different or which they don't understand. I don't get or subscribe to a lot of 'culture' things such as dress code or certain activities, traditions or rituals - I have only one style, and that is casual/comfortable. Things need to have a practical purpose or benefit, or I won't want to do them, but most people don't think that way - herd mentality.

Expectations to echo and fit in with 'the norm' or accept judgements, from some for your difference, this has been my experience.

I don't think most people would have an issue with a person with one arm,if there not using a prosthetic it's likely because it would not benefit them anyway.I don't imagine anyone would object to your friend

Sociologists have many theories for these kinds of necessities. Mores, norms, taboo, etc all within differing schools of thought. Structural Functionalism---you are part of a machine, like it or not. Conflict theory---some are oppressed and class division (difference division), symbolic theories revolve around thing we don't say and how that transmits information.......

Clearly , no matter what camp you are in, society matters a lot. A terrible lot. And you will be made uncomfortable if you don't comply. It's a sad fact. Man is not an island.

I'm not surprised the people at Xerox wanted you to copy them.

You are very lucky to still have your parents! :)

Corporate culture and identy are very important controls. The more you look, talk, walk, dress as part of the corporate tribe then the more the upper level feels better. It also means you are less likely to rebel.

New Threads

Top Bottom