• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Keeping a diary

DebzD21

I've been told to keep a diary of my thoughts by my social worker since I find it difficult to express my thoughts through speaking
I was wondering if anyone else keeps a diary? And do you find it easier to express thought to paper
I'm not sure if I'd find it easier or not since I've never tried

I personally have never kept one, but i do like to think things out on paper.

But a piece of advice would be to not be ultra strict about it. You don't have to start every entry, dear diary- I feel like you're the only one that gets me etc. cliche etc. And you don't have to do it every day. obviously try to make a habit of it as you never know what you could gain but, don't feel pressured. if nothing is coming to you on a given day then that's okay too.

in short it might be a valuable exercise to try but don't feel constrained. Just do whatever works best for you. :)

@Crazi
Thanks yeah true I don't think I'd put "dear diary..." "Your the only one that gets me" I wouldn't put that either it's a bit over the top when people do that to be honest
Yeah if nothing comes to mind I won't bother writing :), instead I'd probs draw a random picture of something I enjoy in it xD

@Andrew Campbell I heard quite a few Aspies write poems? :)

Yeah. I think so. Mine are mostly depressing, cuz that seems to be when I write best. Doesn't mean everyone's are :). You could even include poems or the like in your diary :)

Much like Crazi have I, at times, wrote down some thoughts. I never kept a diary, since it felt too much like an obligation.

Perhaps somewhat similar; I usually carry a small notebook around to write down ideas I have for any creative outlets. It's less forced, but at least I have something around that makes me write down thoughts (even though they are less distressing than actual worries that one might write down).

Over years thoughts often end up in the form of a blog (or at least a random rant of sorts). I've had a Livejournal profile for a while (well, still do, I just don't use it anymore) and quite a few (albeit aspie related issues) end up as a blog on this forum.

I've been keeping diaries for seven years and I think it helps. I can write down my honest, unfiltered thoughts without being criticized or laughed at. Diaries are also a great way to preserve memories. I have a lot of old memories that I hold dear, and their being in diaries is great for making sure I'll never forget and also for finding out the dates they took place on.

I keep an online journal. I get too frustrated with my writing speed to keep a paper diary. I think the regular writing is great for my creativity and thinking skills.

I keep a paper journal. I started writing because I love CRPG's, and in these games, they always carry on journals.

It REALLY help me keep my sanity, putting order in my head. I usually think too fast, rationalizing things in a negative way. Journaling drags me out of the hole my mind gets into. It helps me realise my legacy for this world, who I am, who I'm going to be.

Sometimes when I'm rereading my journal I think "What was I thinking?" or "I'm a freaking genius!". I definitely recommend anyone to start journaling.

I have downloaded a diary app for my mobile because I like being able to write down my thoughts where ever I am. I do that rather than keep a regular diary. It makes good reading to look back.

I used to keep a diary when I was really young, but didn't write in it religiously. Over time I found that while it helped to relieve stress, it actually stressed me more to feel that I was obligated to write in it.

I now prefer to talk things out, or come online here, and share with you all. It seems so much more natural, and it's more satisfying to have another person reply, or add to your own thoughts, and you can still go back and read old posts if you ever want to.

I've never felt much of a need to keep a journal or diary, but I kind of envy people who do a little bit. A lot of people probably look down a little on keeping a diary as something primarily done by children, but there are several famous journals and diaries that are considered literary masterpieces today, such as Samuel Pepys's diary. And of course, there are different ways to keep a journal, it doesn't necessarily have to be in words, some people keep journals that include drawings and other forms of artwork (filmmaker Guillermo Del Toro has some really amazing journals that have been published recently).

I'm keeping one on my computer. I plan to attach it to my email. After I die, probably no one will find it or know abut it.

New Threads

Top Bottom