• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just To Start Things Off (calling all girls)

Ok here a question for the ladies... Do you all find that you have more meltdowns during or close to your menstrual cycles? Or other abnormal behaviors that you don't see from the NT women around you when they are on their cycles? Like myself, for example, I definitely get more easily hurt by people when mestrating and find I need to stim more to keep a it all together but I also dont get angry or lash out my meltdown are usually depressive and I'm the only one I'm mean too about it... I actually go full on Stepford wife and just clean and bake things and try to be exta nice to kind of make up for the fact that I always feel a bit close to the emotional egde and dont want to "burden" anyone with my stuff... Any one else have this kinds of issues?

Hey! I'm a female too, and I love that there is a board for just women.

Ok here a question for the ladies... Do you all find that you have more meltdowns during or close to your menstrual cycles? Or other abnormal behaviors that you don't see from the NT women around you when they are on their cycles? Like myself, for example, I definitely get more easily hurt by people when mestrating and find I need to stim more to keep a it all together but I also dont get angry or lash out my meltdown are usually depressive and I'm the only one I'm mean too about it... I actually go full on Stepford wife and just clean and bake things and try to be exta nice to kind of make up for the fact that I always feel a bit close to the emotional egde and dont want to "burden" anyone with my stuff... Any one else have this kinds of issues?

I definitely have more meltdowns and just overall get way more overwhelmed and am more sensitive to touch and other sensory stimulation when I'm coming up on my period. It can be a blessing and a curse, because on one hand it makes things very...'pleasurable' with my boyfriend when I am very sensitive to tactile stimulation, but it also means that I get overwhelmed two or three times more easily than when I'm not near the beginning of my menstrual cycle.

Personally for me it depends on how heavy the flow is for any particular month. Usually if it's going to be a heavy flow I don't get all that "emotional" (most likely because I'm in too much pain to be bothered by emotions). However if it's a relatively light flow, my already extreme depression gets worse during that time. For instance, this month is a light flow, and the week before I started I didn't want to leave the house, I was having miniature panic attacks (nothing too extreme), and just felt horrible all around. And up to this point (I just started) I still feel like poo, although not as bad.

I suppose if there's a girls section I may as well ask, does anybody else struggle with sexual attraction? As in, having none, or seemingly none at all, but still want to have a relationship? And how does one find a partner to connect with as an Aspie? Thanks

i dont see a problem in there being a place where the female memebers of our online group and chat. at least get us all in one place so i can add everyone

Woman unite. It feels good to have our corner to espouse whatever. Seems this should be in General discussions, a her corner, a his corner. We can endlessly discuss female-ish things without hearing a backlash from the peanut bench. lol

I’ve been on birth control for almost four years now. The pill makes it so that you can essentially choose when to have periods and mine are every three months. Everything is just too much when I have them. I feel the rejection 10x worse then I go home and cry/mope. Everything is louder and more irksome. I don’t even usually have bad sensory issues but it makes me want to get earplugs and somersault into a tub of gel just for everything to stop. Otherwise it’s extreme indifference to most things.

My wife is ASD. She has the engineer mind but she likes pink stuff. Very rational, self aware, and reasonable. if she ever died I might again look for an Aspie woman. She is so different than all the other women I dated in my life. There are goods and bads, but the good outweighs the bad by a lot.

So here is the scoop on Aspie women. 1 girl for every 8 boys. ASD manifests itself differently in Aspie women because women have a natural empathy and higher social intelligence than men do. Women are very agreeable on the personality test while men tend to be disagreeable. It could be diagnosis and many families don't realize that their daughters are on the spectrum. My son we suspected at the age of 2. But my wife, her mom, and her grandmother were all quirky but not obvious. We highly suspect they all had it and passed it down the line.

ASD and ADD follow the same genes if I remember reading it correctly.

I'd be curious how many Aspie women are the math types. In the NT world 1 in 20 are the math/engineer/science men leaning brains. A vast majority of women tend to go into helping fields. This was further strengthened by Sweden when the opened up about giving equal opportunity to women for generally considered men's fields. The ratios didn't change. The same ratio of women went into education, medical field, HR, hospitality, etc. Men still leaned into the sciences. It's nature.

But I am very curious how many Aspie women are that scientist brain and not the teacher brain. My wife's mom was a teacher but she was also a programmer.

From what I've seen and read it is often less physically pronounced because of how the male and female brain tend to be wired neurologically and a lot more goes on internally with females, even my girlfriend says the same thing but there will always be a lot of exceptions. Because of this I think many females just tend to get diagnosed later and it provides the perception on the surface that there are far less of them out there. I can't think of why there would be less. No one is the same and there's always going to be a lot of variation too.

hello everyone
i think it was a good idea willow and females are different to males on the spectrum
and females tend to hide it well more than males thats why i think its not only hard for females but for also males on the spectrum

I think there may be a need for a females only forum just cause we present differently and are so often misdiagnosed, even by our selves! A psychiatrist proposed I was aspergers a good 10 years before I accepted that I even might be ( which actually made me correctly diagnosed but the different look that female asd have threw me off) .
So I'm in a misunderstood misdiagnosed minority WITHIN a misunderstood misdiagnosed minority! Yeah, I know, "poor me". But for those women who arent sure about the diagnosis, could be very helpful.

I was diagnosed quite a while ago.
Always knew I wss different, but my family of origin just kept trying to make me conform, & telling me I was, “a failure at everything.” That wasn’t helpful.

I learned to hide and mask as much of myself as possible. Being creative and sort of intelligent and notoriously err, feisty, I managed to get through university and into loads of trouble over the years. Among other things being a single mama to 2 children who’re now grown up, wonderful people.

This (pic below) is just one of the situations which was utterly untenable to me as child. The pic isn’t of my school, it’s just an example. Crowds, close contact, overly bright, over-bearing authority figures, and the girls have to wear dresses.
o_O :fearful::tongueclosed::triumph::confused::eek:

12BBE221-615E-4B27-B052-8E6FAD621964.jpeg

credit to abc news au

Last edited:
I was diagnosed with autism spectrum at 25. The psychologist who did my evaluation recommended I find a support group for women on the spectrum. So far I've had zero luck finding one in person.

When I first read about aspergers, it was actually a female and because it resonated with me, things described, it got me exploring more and was so suprised to find that rarely are females diagnosed. The "mental health" department actually believe it to be just males.

We can mask. Males find it hard to mask.

Many say that on first meeting me, they do not detect any difference with me. But, the more relaxed I feel in that person's company, they say that they notice traits coming out. I guess it is because I do clap my hands in glee and act particularly like an excited child, rather than an adult.

I am a girly girl, with a twist lol

I was diagnosed with autism spectrum at 25. The psychologist who did my evaluation recommended I find a support group for women on the spectrum. So far I've had zero luck finding one in person.

I was told, after diagnosis: I wish you the best: it is going to be hard for you and since then, no support.

I like that there's a girls forum. :) My mom didn't believe me for the longest time when I told her I thought I had ASP because I was so good at mimicking people. I was doubting myself too... until I found out that this is typical for ASP girls... not so much for ASP guys though...

So! Summing it up... It's nice to be able to talk to girls that I can relate to. :) Woot for ASP girls! :p
Me too, good at mimicking people and my husband recently said I should be careful, because it could come across as though I am mocking someone! The thing is, it is so natural to do, when I like a character.

New Threads

Top Bottom