• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Job rejection dealing..

Something to keep in mind is that conventional interviews aren't about determining if someone can do a given job, but are more of a test of one's interviewing skills and ability to build rapport with the interviewers.

I've had a situation where I've applied to the same job at two different locations and so had interviews with two different teams, and was rejected on one, and scored highly on another time, with the same application and same interview questions and answers.

As someone mentioned earlier, things can be very subjective, and as my example shows, you may have done nothing wrong, and in fact, might have done well.

When you get to the interview stage, there must have been something the organization liked in you.

In other words, you didn't fail the interview, the interview failed you, and that's their loss.
The interviewer tends to hire who is like them I've e been on hundreds of interviews landed 7 jobs or 8 different jobs accepted 6 over the years I did not know what the issue was did know I had unusual skills which somehow, I had to get across to the interviewer primed them with how I structured my cover letter and resume after a while when I wrote a cover letter and I was qualified for the position I always got the interview. the issue became landing the job. get them to ask the question what I could do for them then answer truthfully most notably if the process is similar example due you have colour issues this is how I would fix them Like at the ford plant they had an adhesion issue they had an issue of having to fix on a repair line paint chipping off due to tools hitting the paint during assembly I instantly knew the cause as I had seen it before on a previous assembly plant, appliances where I Had fixed the issue So this become my focal point when I Was offered the job first day I taped a panel to a vehicle got it treated and primed E-coat bend the panel in half all the paint peeled off. should of seen the shock on their faces I Was whatever they wanted fixed then told Ford would do, no questions asked. Money not an issue This was my first day. nice warm feeling. I knew I had this in the bag. You need to get this across in the interview, IF you got the right guy no problem, I was interviewed by an engineer who I told my appliance adhesion issue story during the interview. I guess the rep I dealt with at the previous position confirmed what I Said was correct. my demonstration on that first day confirmed Ford had the same issue with the same product
And so probably did their competitors. wow first day boy genius.

What can I say that hasn’t already been said? It’s my experience that job rejections hurt me when I take it personally.

The interview process should never be personal.

We place so much value on winning in life. Not being picked for a job we interviewed for feels like loosing. One will loose more in life than win. It just is …… move on.

I know that after I’m not picked for a job I’ve interviewed for, I’m still the same George. I still have my character, feelings, and personal well being. A job rejection should not impact any of these central pieces of me.

If a particular posted open role at a firm is a logical fit for your capabilities and potential then move from trying to convince the interview that your qualifications are right for the role. Instead focus on finding out if this is someplace you could work. Let them evaluate your fit. You made it to an interview so something must have drawn them to you.

Interview the firm to see if it is someplace you want to work at. You will be more confident and feel more in control.

If you think the firm is a fit but the interviewer does not, then it’s their missed opportunity.

What can I say that hasn’t already been said? It’s my experience that job rejections hurt me when I take it personally.

The interview process should never be personal.

We place so much value on winning in life. Not being picked for a job we interviewed for feels like loosing. One will loose more in life than win. It just is …… move on.

I know that after I’m not picked for a job I’ve interviewed for, I’m still the same George. I still have my character, feelings, and personal well being. A job rejection should not impact any of these central pieces of me.

If a particular posted open role at a firm is a logical fit for your capabilities and potential then move from trying to convince the interview that your qualifications are right for the role. Instead focus on finding out if this is someplace you could work. Let them evaluate your fit. You made it to an interview so something must have drawn them to you.

Interview the firm to see if it is someplace you want to work at. You will be more confident and feel more in control.

If you think the firm is a fit but the interviewer does not, then it’s their missed opportunity.
I never took it personally; I just went back to school to increase my educational base as jobs do not always last prep better for next time. Worked me.

My biggest issues in the past were headhunters calling me during the nineties there was a real demand for quality engineers, and I was not looking so i Simply passed the phone to others in the plant who did not know how much demand there was they were hourly under paid overqualified for their job immigrants. I landed many of them jobs.
let's just say a lot of people think they owe me.

I give up. I just have had another one which I REALLY dont understand WHY — because that stupid place asked me if I was interested in the job because they had my information saved from another application I did only for me to respond yes, heard nothing back and NOW i have another rejection of too many applicants. WHY contact me to ask me then if you aren0t going to be even considering me. I am. So sorry I just feel like I am not goo d enough for anything. I suck.

I am just veryconfused. Nothing wrong with my qualifications. Is it because i lack experience then how do I get experience if it’s not enough . CONSUFED and upset about it. It’s just all playing games.

I have one question, usually right after the interview I compose a follow up letter and send it to the company thanking them for the interview. experience matters for me I related education to distilled experience from others, so I would sign up for courses that would replace lack of experience I noticed when I did land jobs this worked as I would get feedback from the new boss what made the difference, you blew any competitors out of the water. not even close. First, I got A Second college Diploma steppingstone get job get bit of experience get more education get better job The diploma started as a basic certificate, then an advanced certificate, and finally a diploma.

the other thing I Noticed do not be too impatient, a lot of time they take months to fill the job, you may not hear back during this time. after all they are running a business. they also are impressed if you are enrolled in classes that would directly affect their business if they took you on. you look proactive over the years I always something on the go. anticipating my next position, I Cross trained for multiple position, lab tech, process engineer, and quality engineer, the jobs I landed mirrored this.

This is what I think is the problem — I am now going into some over thinking of what I did and what I may not have done but had to do. I will get over it but I just don’t understand why they hurt me, why do I take them like I feel like I’m being broken?
It's an ego thing.
Rejection hurts. Its ok that you feel that way.
But that's ok, I think we all have felt that rejection pain at some point in our lives. Personally, I can't deal at all with it. Even asking to use the gas station's bathroom might be a problem for me when I feel not up to dealing with a "no". As far as job interviews go, I think I only did three in my whole life, and every time it was just going through the motions (as it was already decided I would get the job). Maybe if I could deal with rejection a little better, I would have a job that would actually pay all of my bills, and allow me to get out, and surround myself wit people instead of of doing everything from my home-office.
That said: congratulations for your courage!

I don't know how the job market is over there these days but I'm guessing it's the same as here. It's rough. Don't be sad, it might not have anything to do with you personally at all. And it could be that the people doing the hiring are just bad at their job.

Over here as a country we are short a million workers, a bunch of us baby boomers retired. the higher the level the job the harder to replace. happy my son is an electromechanical technologist- robotics he made a good choice of careers. Robots are cheap as cheap as minimum wage for routine labour. My other son cannot find general labour
small plating shop I asked him about getting a robot they will hang parts I'm familiar with painting robots seen enough welding robots.

Last edited:
Over here as a country we are short a million workers, a bunch of us baby boomers retired. the higher the level the job the harder to replace. happy my son is an electromechanical technologist- robotics he made a good choice of careers. Robots are cheap as cheap as minimum wage for routine labour.

I read something about that, that the US overfloweth with jobs. I imagine it's different now where Owliet is, in Switzerland. It's such a small country. Even smaller than where I am and things are not great here on the job front.

Canada Is not a large country in population boy do we need immigrants. The biggest issue on the news is how to add a million houses here in Ontario for the new immigrants to live in so good for any skilled trades. my sons cabinet making skills may become useful in the near future.

Last edited:
It's a bit of a funny situation in Australia at the moment, our unemployment levels are the lowest in 50 years but we still have a lot of people out of work. At the same time we have agricultural businesses screaming for more migrant workers, they don't want to employ Aussies because we'd expect fair pay and decent conditions.

Skilled labour is a different story, there's a real shortage of that in Australia because scabby employers don't want to waste money on training new blood. Experienced forklift drivers and warehouse staff are a good example, at the moment they can just about name their price, within reason. Very few people these days want to do physical labour so there's always jobs available in that sector.

Thats the Issue my older son is having Being A manager at a small company just hiring one or two manual labourers is difficult everybody wants a desk job. Here in Canada a lot of us have good educations. one of highest per capita, in the world. Brampton Where I live is warehouse central, I Guess A lot of it is automated. just waiting for self-driving trucks.

I dont have an expectation of getting a job or not — I used to have this and that has destroyed any hope when it is not so. The Saturday one was more upsetting, and I don’t understand exactly why someone bothered to ask then waste my time and then get my hopes up that maybe i was in for a chance. It is just a game, everything seems to be a game and I am starting to get really tired of this. There’s nothing wrong with my qualifications, I messed up at the interview last week because I was anxious and had a technical issue and must have been anxious despite not thinking i was. And upset and confused with the Saturday rejection because I guess someone with more experience came along instead. Just would have been nice to have had something. My self worth is tied into having a job…

Here, you have to really do what you are trained to do — or work in places like McDonald’s that don’t require much — and that is too stressful for me to handle. Unfortunately . It is not like in other countries where you can job between several jobs based on your single degree or lack of a degree — Once you are trained, you often keep to the same job unless you decide to take a difference path but it is not often a thing done here — it is also expensive, and as you get older there’s less a chance that the internships will be available to you compared to someone younger.

Your issues show why some sort of post graduate education is so important of people on the spectrum, as NTs cannot see past their preconceived prejudices, I probably understood this intuitively. without being diagnosed.

Post graduate means anything from trade certificates to college up to university.

Your issues show why some sort of post graduate education is so important of people on the spectrum, as NTs cannot see past their preconceived prejudices, I probably understood this intuitively. without being diagnosed.

Post graduate means anything from trade certificates to college up to university.
I have 2 post-graduate degrees in addition to my Bachelor, plus some additional certificates. You can’t do my job without at least having a post-graduate degree.

For me. Mainly, It is anxiety and lack of enough experience that is the problem for me. That was the feedback that I received from one of them, the one on Saturday did not respond. It is not like I dont have jobs — I had one last year, I have had some temp jobs before and even recently — I know that I can do interviews and PASS them But the reasoning at times is very exhausting with the “lack of experience” or “you were anxious” Or even “you didn’t come across as confident enough”. I try very hard to mask, to try to not show my ASD to people because I have had some negative experiences before when they only see the ASD and not what I do. At least Some saw something good in my Curriculum Vitae (and there’s nothing wrong with this or my letters or references) and wanted to interview, and usually it goes like:

1) I interview — mess it up with anxiety even IF i practice before I go for it = no job
1 b) In interview when asked some questions like my weakness/strength or even my hobby interests, it is possible that i say the wrong things in that. I don’t think people want to hear that I make costumes but the other hobbies I do are too general. As for the difficult questions, I think that I answer them okay but perhaps I don’t say the correct things.
2) I interview = they just fill in their numbers for interviewing people with similar qualifications but = not enough experience and I mess up the interview some way (maybe like in 1b) and = no job
3) I interview but I lack confidence in some way — not sure how so, = no job
4) I interview = get the job (that’s like 3 so far)
5) I don’t get a response = no job.

It is the interview stage that really upsets me because I know that they seem to see something in me and realize how weird I actually am, despite my best efforts to come across as normal. With this current temp job, I am very lucky that it is in a good workplace and will be adding more to experience BUT I also know that I try to mask and it gets very tiring by the end of the week. And it is also a temporary job, so I need to find something more permanent with a good percentage of workload. I will be getting help in January at some point with all of this but I do need to not feel so devastated when there are rejections OR anxious during interviews despite any preparation I make. I can’t always be interviewing online with someone in the background to support me through it….

This is an interesting puzzle, what field are you in mine was very technical, industrial painting, so interviews were dependent on who did the interviewing. I had no idea I was on the spectrum, still do not know what masking is coming from a family where we had similar interests, we were weird together. never really had issues with anxiety, always had confidence in myself I've had interviews in the evening, where I would dress up go to work and tell who ever asked why you are dressed, tell them I have an interview.

This is an interesting puzzle, what field are you in mine was very technical, industrial painting, so interviews were dependent on who did the interviewing. I had no idea I was on the spectrum, still do not know what masking is coming from a family where we had similar interests, we were weird together. never really had issues with anxiety, always had confidence in myself I've had interviews in the evening, where I would dress up go to work and tell who ever asked why you are dressed, tell them I have an interview.
My job is in education — and it’s not like I am bad at my job, I have received excellent references, gotten excellent feedback and made sure that there have been excellent results in exams, however, I guess it is more heavily female populated occupation. Most of those who interview me have been women who aren’t ASD like me.. Perhaps they have picked things up that I think I can hide but fail. I get the understanding that women tend to be more perceptive than men are with noticing differences, even if they’re small. They also seem to be more from HR. Those who i have had directly with the Senior leadership team (like the principal ) have been more positive and I have had those jobs.

Although it is very ironic that they promote inclusiveness and diversity, but can’t accept someone who may be anxious during an interview. Its. Not like I am anxious ever when I am teaching.

I am not very confident in myself — I do have self esteem issues and I still struggle with feeling like I am good enough, despite knowing that I am good at what I do. I mean, even today, I had the “you’re our favorite teacher because you do practical things with us and we learn and we like lessons with you, and you’re not shouting at us…” my line managers also had good things to say about me Also today. So, I really hope that it is starting to go through….I think another issue is that a lot of education jobs seem To prefer families to work in their workplace, this also ensures that their children will be there too which helps the numbers . I don’t have children ; so that could be an issue Too.

It is not like opportunities are not happening, I am just frustrated that its not happening fast Enough for me to feel like I am successful = because I have a job = so I am a productive member of society = so I dont feel unworthy = that I have my own life and independence = that I am not a loser.

I feel for you there is a lot of teachers in my family sister in laws nephews and nieces, and know my son's fiancé
the biggest issue here is lack of retirements of existing base. my sister-in-law was excited how she figured out my brother her husband was on the spectrum as she just finished a seminar on how to detect us Ironic . I could see dealing with HR could be an issue, I have never been that big on soft sciences, yes you not having a family may be an issue, my son to be daughter in law is with child, she just got her teaching certificate, has a PhD in education from her home country I do see some similarities between you and her she likes to second guess herself I gave her some advice when I first met her on how to work the system here, she followed it, it worked now it's just a matter of improving her position She currently teaches in the private system for gifted kids and children from well to do families .

New Threads

Top Bottom