• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Job Dilemma

Fino

Alex
V.I.P Member
I'm not sure if talking about this here can really help much because I understand that this is a very personal decision that needs to be decided by the person who knows me best (which is hopefully me). But since I've been struggling with this for several months or longer now, I wanted to give talking about it a go just to see if anything comes of it. If it helps at all, I will continue to be forever thankful to this forum. Anyway, here's the situation:

I used to be a therapist. Long story short, I got fired. I made a thread about it a while back. This was at least a couple years ago.

Since then, I've been working as a piano teacher, piano accompanist, and self-published author, which has totaled to an adequate income. Unfortunately, my accompanist job, which I've had for about seven years is coming to end at the end of this year. It's a long story why, and that isn't relevant anyway. But without that income, I know will no longer make enough money.

There are three job prospects I'm considering:

1. Crisis Counselor.

Pros:

I have two years of experiences as one.
I enjoyed it very much.
I would make enough money.

Cons:

I would have to quit teaching piano. I love teaching piano very much. My students are primarily special needs, and that's part of why I find it so fulfilling.
I had a lot disciplinary issues as a crisis counselor with supervisors telling me that I wasn't "saying the right things." It never got to the point of being fired, but it was the reason I quit.
I wouldn't be working with children. I much prefer working with children.

2. ABA Therapist

Pros:

I have experience at this as well.
The hours are opposite to piano teaching so I could continue teaching.
I would be working with children.
I would make enough money.

Cons:

I would be working 10-16 hours a day most days. I'm not sure if I can handle that emotionally and worry that it could lead to a relapse.

3. Child Welfare Social Worker

Pros:

This is the job I've always wanted and the reason I attended five years of college.
I would still be working with children, to an extent.
This would make the most money of all.

Cons:

I would have to quit teaching piano. In addition to the reasons mentioned above, I have possibly exaggerated guilt about leaving students that I've been teaching for many years.
I have possibly irrational anxiety about social workers because the conflict I had that led me to be fired as a therapist was with a licensed clinical social worker.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I've never been so undecided in my life. Typically, I just do whatever comes to mind first. I'm as impulsive as they come.

Also, this is assuming I can get any of these jobs. The ABA therapist job is easy to get because of the high demand, the crisis counselor job I've already applied to and am waiting to hear back, and I haven't applied to the social worker position yet.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have the crucial information. As far as having guilt leaving students, it's an imperfect world. You need to have enough money to live on. Explain that to your students ahead of time to prepare them

Last edited:
I would encourage you to do some research on why ABA is harmful to autistic children before you consider taking that sort of job. I don’t have any links in mind that I could give you, but there’s a lot of information out there from the autistic community that is in opposition to ABA.

Life is a balancing act. At this time in your life, is work happiness more important that very well-paying income at the end of the day?

Life is a balancing act. At this time in your life, is work happiness more important that very well-paying income at the end of the day?

Work happiness is more important to me as long as I can survive financially, but every option had "makes enough money" as one of the pros.

Okay, if I'm being honest, I just want to be a social worker and I'm just scared it won't work out and then I will have lost all my students for nothing. Boom. It's been said. How do I do deal with this fear of failure? I've never had that before. And it's because it happened before, to an extent. I can't have it happen again. *dies of indecision*

How do I do deal with this fear of failure? I've never had that before. And it's because it happened before, to an extent. I can't have it happen again. *dies of indecision*
You could do social work part-time for a probationary period
while continuing to teach piano
until you determine whether it will work out or not...

Maybe you should go for your dream job. At least you will never wonder about it if u try it.

Okay, if I'm being honest, I just want to be a social worker and I'm just scared it won't work out and then I will have lost all my students for nothing. Boom. It's been said. How do I do deal with this fear of failure? I've never had that before. And it's because it happened before, to an extent. I can't have it happen again. *dies of indecision*
I think I understand the dilemma, I would probably try applying for the social-worker position - in my mind applying doesn't mean "I promise to work for you if you offer me a job" - it's more like a "sounds interesting" thing - after applying I assume two things could happen, either you get invited for an interview or you don't - if you don't, then you will know to not follow that path - but if you do, take that as an opportunity to learn more about the position, I always go into an interview, with the mindset, of finding out if that position fits me - after the interview you might have a better feeling of how well you fit, and therefor have a better idea of the risk you will be taking.

Would it not be possible to continue with teaching?
Like on the weekends?

Not a full load necessarily, but continue with some of the students?

And it would be a change of activity from M-F social work.

Would it not be possible to continue with teaching?
Like on the weekends?

Not a full load necessarily, but continue with some of the students?

And it would be a change of activity from M-F social work.

That is actually a possibility. I had considered it before and forgotten about it. Thanks!

I like ABA therapist option best I think. But why the long hours? Is that ABA job + piano? Perhaps cut back piano hours in some way?

I like ABA therapist option best I think. But why the long hours? Is that ABA job + piano? Perhaps cut back piano hours in some way?

Yeah, that's combining the two jobs. I didn't think of just cutting back on some piano. Thanks!

hI @Fino
not answering your question, but giving you a tool to look at the options.

You have 3 options that you are considering. Take 3 sheets of paper and make a column for Pro and a column for Con on each sheet. Title each sheet with one of the options you are considering.

Give yourself a set time, say 45 minutes, to write down the pros and the cons of each options. No particular order and no guidance as to how to do it.

Take a break and go for a walk - ie do something completely different. Make notes of any ideas that comes up for you (but your focus is not the sheets at this time.

Look at the 3 options, with the pros and cons and see which facets are weighty and which are light (trivial or not so important).

Focus on the weighty arguments and let that guide you

New Threads

Top Bottom