• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jeff Bezos' Space Flight

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
This morning, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos flew to space with a group of space tourists in a rocket built by his company, Blue Origin.

Among those on board were an 18 year old boy and an 82 year old woman astronaut who trained for the Mercury 13 missions, but was not allowed to go to space. These are the youngest and oldest people ever to go to space.

Video of the launch, flight, and landing:

Video of inside the space capsule:

While I had reservations about a pilotless capsule, it was quite impressive to see both the capsule land safely to the ground, and even more the booster rocket landing perfectly upright. The kind of thing we never saw from NASA, but rather so many 50s science fiction films. And we got to see Wally Funk, the oldest person go into space today. Well done. :cool:

^ 100%. I'm surprised more people aren't mentioning it. I've always thought the upwardly curved arrow below the word Amazon in the logo is blatantly phallic as well.
It's probably the only time he ever sees an erect phallus

Whenever the discussion of astronauts, space travel, and,...lately, the extremely wealthy come up the questions of "Why?", the comments of "What a waste of money.", "We need to take care of the people and our planet." "Why not spend that money on helping people here and now." My wife and I have these very same discussions. My wife is often of this sentiment. However, I would suggest we can do both.

The next frontier will be outer space,...and likely mining for materials in the nearest of terms,...exploration to follow much later. As a bit of an environmentalist, I would rather see raw materials mined from outer space than scaring our planet as we are doing now. There will come a day when we will be able to significantly reduce our environmental footprint, even within the context of a rising population, rising seas, and less land,...because of our endeavors in outer space. A new, broad, and far-reaching new area of employment for millions of humans.

If our tax dollars are insufficient and the will of the masses are not sufficient to provide political purpose,...then it is up to those who do have the financial means, as well as willing investors to provide what is needed to complete the goals of life beyond Earth. Let the wealthy use their money to pursue space. The masses, on the other hand,...should take some responsibility for their daily decisions, be good human beings towards each other, push some selfishness aside, see ourselves as one society,...people of Earth,...and be good stewards to our home.

If some of you are so against the wealthy becoming wealthy,...nobody is making you support them by purchasing their products and services. It is you, after all, that is making them wealthy. Move along,...you are free to make other choices.

I think it's absolutely exciting that they went in an automated ship, with no crew. Just flying way up in the sky. Everyone got to get out of their chair and do a few backflips in the air, and then parachute back to earth.

They all got out with the biggest grins ever on their faces.

The future of space travel will be private industry- not government bloat. And it sounds so fun.

If some of you are so against the wealthy becoming wealthy,...nobody is making you support them by purchasing their products and services. It is you, after all, that is making them wealthy. Move along,...you are free to make other choices.

Actually, for the most part, it IS unavoidable. That's the true deviousness of how the ultra-wealthy became what they are: By being unavoidable.

You want to buy simple food? Just food and water? That's IT? Guess what: You're stuffing money into one of THEIR pockets. That supermarket, that fast food place, even that seemingly simple place that offers "organic" foods... yeah. It goes towards THEM.

Same with your electric bill, for instance. Gotta have heat to get through the winter? Guess what: using that heater to warm your house, you're making some ultra-rich guy richer.

That's the system these useless toads have set up.

Oh sure, you COULD avoid it... by going out into the frosty wilderness, chopping some trees down, building a little hut, and then sitting perfectly still in it and doing not much of anything. Provided, of course, that an area where this is even possible actually exists near you. For many, it doesnt.

That, I think, is part of why people get frustrated by hearing of these fools. They know full well that jerks like Bezos are almost incomprehensibly nasty... yet in every direction, it's essentially just another Bezos.

That being said, I've never seen anything hugely wrong with someone being wealthy. There are 2 important things though: 1, how they got there, and 2... what they do with it. There are those out there who can be good, and those who can be bad, it's not exactly a "well every one of these is bad" sort of thing, even if it can seem like it.

But with someone like Bezos... yeah, it's not exactly hard to figure out why some cant stand him. Particularly if you hear what his company is *really* like. But, there are others who might be very rich, but they arent walking piles of awfulness.

Best thing I think most people can do isnt so much to go out of their way to avoid supporting these guys... as seriously it's mostly impossible... but instead, put in some real effort to support the little guys. Go to your local mom & pop store, for instance. Stuff like that, and buy from them. You cant ALWAYS do that, but... doing it is good.

I would rather see raw materials mined from outer space

For whatever reason this idea is just awesome and satisfying to me. I dont even know why. In reality it would probably be remarkably boring, but still, there's just something darned appealing about the idea of mining SPACE ROCKS.

Which is odd, I have like, zero interest in space stuff. But that idea still fascinates me.

Everyone is turning this into a class war type debate. Like it's so bad to have a really good idea that people like, and that idea makes you rich.

But all I have to say is: May I be smited with a small fortune- and may I never recover!

Like it's so bad to have a really good idea that people like, and that idea makes you rich.

Oh, I dont think anyone ever said this bit was bad. The problem is that the idea alone generally isnt what does it, for the specific sort of ultra-wealthy we're talking about. The "slimy CEO" sort, I mean.

Bezos specifically: runs a company that works not because it's a good idea, but because it's *extremely* abusive to its employees. Believe me: Amazon is NOT a happy place. Or a safe place.

Amazon is popular because it's ultra-fast. But it's not ultra-fast because of some amazing technology (which it frankly barely has). It's ultra fast because of the nasty things it does to its employees. After all, if you whip the funky heck outta that horse you're sitting on, sure, it's going to run faster... it has to, you're freaking whipping it to death. And if it passes out? Well... can always get another horse. That's the Amazon way. Except worse...

THAT is part of why people dont like him (well, that and the extreme hoarding), or certain others similar to him. It's not just "oh he's rich lets hate him". Well, okay, there ARE people who do think just like that. But mostly, it's more so that he really, genuinely is NOT a good guy, and the way he does things is... well, like I said... just abusive.

The important part is to just make sure that a dislike of this sort doesnt just become a total blanket statement. "I dont like this rich guy because of X thing he does" is fine, but "I hate all these rich guys because they're rich" is really not fine. Blanket statements, they aint good.

That's enough of me rambling about that though.

Mentally I'm still stuck on the whole "mining SPACE ROCKS" bit. I'll be pondering THAT all day.

^ 100%. I'm surprised more people aren't mentioning it. I've always thought the upwardly curved arrow below the word Amazon in the logo is blatantly phallic as well.
The logo isn't quite big enough for me!

Enough banter about rich folk. "The ayes have it." A breakdown of popularity regarding the exploration of space:

Majority of Americans Believe Space Exploration Remains Essential

RIP Mercury, Gemini, Apollo Astronaut Wally Schirra.

Class of 46, USNA circa 1944-45. A picture shot by my father of his friend in college on a double date:

Wally Schirra.jpg

The original seven guys with "The Right Stuff":

800px-Project_Mercury-Mercury_Seven-Astronauts.jpg

Gus Grissom, Alan Shephard, Scott Carpenter, Wally Schirra, Deke Slayton, John Glenn and Gordon Cooper.

Pity that Dad tried many times for Wally to come and publicly address the Navy's Civil Engineer Corps, but NASA had these guys on the tightest leash imaginable when it came to public relations. I never got to meet Dad's college buddy in person. Wish I had. :oops:

Prior to their entrance into this "elite club" you would have been shocked at how poorly paid these men were in risking their lives as test pilots and military aviators. The Space program had quite a humble beginning.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom