• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jaw pain caused by alcohol

Adora

I have this reaction when I sometimes drink alcohol and I get a electric shock type of pain within my jaw,I have had this for a few years now and it can be very painful at times, I tried googling it but nothing seems to give me a direct reason for it though there is a condition I consider could be linked to it which is tmj,I just wondering does anyone have a similar reaction and do you know what may cause it.

Is it just when drinking (experience electric shock sensation)
Or at other times too? Eating? Brushing teeth? Hot or cold substances in mouth?

Have you experienced popping, cracking or grinding sounds when moving jaw?
Are teeth aligned correctly?
Can you open mouth wide enough every time you go to take a bite?

Have a dry or watery mouth usually?

You don’t have to answer these questions on an open forum, only to yourself.

I have something going on around the mandibular division of the Trigeminal nerve in my own jaw.

I did consider (and still do to an extent) TMD,
But I have something going on with my parotid gland too, (swollen)
I now have a lump between my ear and cheekbone but no longer experience those shocks you describe.

I can’t decide who to approach initially to investigate this for me,
A dentist or a doctor?

Is it just when drinking (experience electric shock sensation)
Or at other times too? Eating? Brushing teeth? Hot or cold substances in mouth?

Have you experienced popping, cracking or grinding sounds when moving jaw?
Are teeth aligned correctly?
Can you open mouth wide enough every time you go to take a bite?

Have a dry or watery mouth usually?

You don’t have to answer these questions on an open forum, only to yourself.

I have something going on around the mandibular division of the Trigeminal nerve in my own jaw.

I did consider (and still do to an extent) TMD,
I now have a lump between my ear and cheekbone but no longer experience those shocks you describe.

A dentist or a doctor?
Mostly alcohol though I sometimes get it slightly without alcohol,another thing is I am a night time grinder and think maybe it has done something to my jaw.

(Me too) - can’t keep a mouth guard in for whole night, end up spitting it out during sleep.

I would have thought the mouth has to open wide unless sipping drinks through a straw?

Have you watched the you tube animation of how the disc gets displaced and over time a Sudo disc takes its place?

‘Temporomandibular joint (TMJ)
Anatomy and disc displacement animation’
(Approx 3 minutes 35)

I’ve only just watched it myself,
I might have had tmj for a while if that is indeed what happens.

The shock sensation sounds like some nerve related issue or TMJ (especially since you grind) but the link to drinking is baffling. One for the doctors it sounds like.

Unless the alcohol is stimulating that nerve somehow.
Oh - I typed into my search bar 'can alcohol cause nerve pain', and top of the page was this. (copy and pasted: Drinking alcohol can cause sudden stimulation of salivary gland. As it is blocked, it may enlarge in size and press the facial nerve passing beneath it. Facial nerve is innervated in the jaw muscles. Irritated nerve leads to contraction of jaw muscles triggering pain.

I used the search phrase: "can drinking alcohol cause pain in jaw".
These were the first 7 resulting links I got.

upload_2019-4-15_9-2-10.png

This is a sample of the links to various articles explaining the cause of the pain.

A dentist or a doctor?

Definitely a medical doctor or nurse practitioner.

A few years ago I had a sinus infection that "migrated", affecting my right parotid gland. They simply prescribed me an antibiotic (Amoxicillin), and emphasized consuming sour things to stimulate salivation which is good for the parotid glands. Took about four days before all the swelling and pain was gone.

On a side note, parotid gland issues involving alcohol are a more ominous sign that may involve the liver.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom