• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It's getting too expensive to live

wanderer03

My family is an important part of my support and it's getting very expensive to live near them; even with food stamp assistance, rent is very hard to afford at over a 1000 a month for a one bedroom apartment. I guess one way to mitigate the expense some is to take on a roommate and move to a two bedroom unit but this would drive my Autistic mind nuts. Home is the only respite I have from the neurotypical world so it is my sanctuary as well. The idea of sharing my space with another does not sit well with me right now.

I'm strongly considering saving for an RV trailer and putting it in a mobile home park. This way at least I have a dwelling of my own. Lot rentals in mobile home parks are an order of magnitude less expensive than the rent I am paying. Craigslist has tons of trailers .... I'd just need a super duty to pull the one I'd decide to buy. It kills me that I can get a 30ft trailer for three months worth of rent at my apartment complex and this is inexpensive for my area too! Any thoughts? Any gotchas?

I got my eye on this one: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/rvd/5161710192.html

Last edited:
No complaints here. I have one uncle that has lived in an RV my whole time knowing him. Mostly because he just can't settle down, even at 70. New Mexico was my favorite place they lived. If you go a park, it's the same as any area. Get to know your neighbors and their reputations. If they like to play loud music any time of the day, it might drive you nuts the same as having a roommate.

Living expenses vary wildly by geographic location and even county-to-county. I would weigh all of my options if I were you. If you are happy living in a camping van with low rent, then absolutely go for it! :)

No complaints here. I have one uncle that has lived in an RV my whole time knowing him. Mostly because he just can't settle down, even at 70. New Mexico was my favorite place they lived. If you go a park, it's the same as any area. Get to know your neighbors and their reputations. If they like to play loud music any time of the day, it might drive you nuts the same as having a roommate.
You raise an excellent point about the neighbors. I guess I'm lucky that I'm losing hearing. Ear plugs will work wonders.

Living expenses vary wildly by geographic location and even county-to-county. I would weigh all of my options if I were you. If you are happy living in a camping van with low rent, then absolutely go for it! :)
Eh, that would be too small. A 30' trailer would be totally doable.

A teacher of mine used to say about the lowest income group and the social security the government pays them "enough to survive but not enough to live" (loose translation)

If living in an RV is what makes you happy I would say go for it (over here it would be illegal unless it's some special bungalow park and then you have to pay all sorts of taxes and make sure it's fixed in place and more bs like that)

Life choices are hard but if you really don't know, look at yourself and what your guts tell you. If it's both cheaper and the thing you feel would fit you it could be worth to try, it might be that one thing in life you've always searched for.

Whatever you do, good luck and the best of wishes

A teacher of mine used to say about the lowest income group and the social security the government pays them "enough to survive but not enough to live" (loose translation)

If living in an RV is what makes you happy I would say go for it (over here it would be illegal unless it's some special bungalow park and then you have to pay all sorts of taxes and make sure it's fixed in place and more bs like that)

Life choices are hard but if you really don't know, look at yourself and what your guts tell you. If it's both cheaper and the thing you feel would fit you it could be worth to try, it might be that one thing in life you've always searched for.

Whatever you do, good luck and the best of wishes
I kind of want to do more than just survive. If this is a ticket to more freedom, I'm willing to ride it out.

New Threads

Top Bottom