• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

it is still a roof over my head

Aspergers_Aspie

I know there are disadvantages of being homeless. But the council flat where I'm staying doesn't feel like my home because once a year an engineer comes into my flat in different rooms including my bedroom to check the gas meter. I think they should give aspies non ground floor flats if they have no particular mobility issues and they should give aspies flats with the gas meter in a cupboard in the hallway if gas is essential (as I don't see why someone can't just have electricity) if it's not, aspies should decide if they want gas. I think it should also be law that home owners have to have an engineer do a check

I can sence your annoyance and frustration i think ALL people should have their needs considered, it's once a year that you feel 'intruded on' which is not great but could be considerably worse,i focuss of elements of my life that frustrate but now try to practice daily gratitude as a means to gain perspective and keep me positive.

You're considering being homeless because somebody comes to your place once a year to do some sort of inspection? Not sure I understood that correctly.

Yeah, we have a gas engineer come round once a year to check the oven, boiler and meter for faults etc.
Private landlady, and it’s a legal requirement on her (they have to ensure their property is safe for human habitation).
I don’t like it: having to be in, having to be dressed, having to remember consciously what I’m meant to do to be polite... luckily it’s the same guy every year so it’s getting to be a long-cycle routine.
But, calorie for calorie, gas is cheaper than electric: so I’ve classified as an irritation I’ll bear with for the sake of comfort on a budget: electric would require a higher income, and thus leaving the house more often and for longer to earn said income.

I know there are disadvantages of being homeless. But the council flat where I'm staying doesn't feel like my home because once a year an engineer comes into my flat in different rooms including my bedroom to check the gas meter. I think they should give aspies non ground floor flats if they have no particular mobility issues and they should give aspies flats with the gas meter in a cupboard in the hallway if gas is essential (as I don't see why someone can't just have electricity) if it's not, aspies should decide if they want gas. I think it should also be law that home owners have to have an engineer do a check

All local authorities have a legal duty to carry out these checks.

I don't really understand what the big deal is? If it's so distressing to you as a person with autism, then approach your local authority to request a transfer to another property on 'medical grounds'.

In the meantime, if you cannot cope with the once a year visit from an engineer, get someone else to be in your home for the duration of the check.

FWIW, I am a home owner. I have my gas boiler serviced annually. I don't like people in my home, so when these appointments are booked, I arrange to go out that day and someone else will be in my home for the engineer visit. Simple :)

I don't see how a yearly visit is that bad?

Sure, I am fairly territorial and do not like other people in where I live, but it's OK; sometimes you have to have people visit just to keep things running.

To me it sounds like part & parcel of living on one's own and instead of readjusting where you live, just let the guy come in and check the gasometer.

Sorry if this sounds uncaring but part of living out & alone is having certain responsibility of which I think we are all capable.

l relate to this. It just feels weird. But l have had workman in my place before. It's just kind of OCD of us. But you can get thru it. It's probably the reason l don't roommate with anyone.

I volenteer at a homeless shelter, though dialogue I've seen how hard it is for people, and breaks even the strongest people down. Its not pleasant, and I feel when you say there are some disdvantages for being homeless, I feel its a very large understatement.

If you think a workman entering your house once a year, is a major intrusion, you don't understand how much privacy you loose as homeless person. Either in a tent surrounded by other tents, no privacy in toilets. The shelter, I work at doesn't have individual rooms to sleep in, its mattresses on the floor.

Please have some perspective, and just let the workman do his job, he doesn't want to be in your house either. It really isn't that bad.

Yeah, we have a gas engineer come round once a year to check the oven, boiler and meter for faults etc.
Private landlady, and it’s a legal requirement on her (they have to ensure their property is safe for human habitation).
I don’t like it: having to be in, having to be dressed, having to remember consciously what I’m meant to do to be polite... luckily it’s the same guy every year so it’s getting to be a long-cycle routine.
But, calorie for calorie, gas is cheaper than electric: so I’ve classified as an irritation I’ll bear with for the sake of comfort on a budget: electric would require a higher income, and thus leaving the house more often and for longer to earn said income.

Have you ever been homeless?

eantime, if you cannot cope with the once a year visit from an engineer, get someone else to

FWIW, I am a home owner. I have my gas boiler serviced annually. I don't like people in my home, so when these appointments are booked, I arrange to go out that day and someone else will be in my home for the engineer visit. Simple :)[/QUOTE]

That used to happen even though we own the appt. They checked the electric thingy once a year.

I don't feel like im home bc in pandemy the priest entered my room with shoes on from 200 other houses despite being told not to and just didn't get out and kept talking to me and feeling sorry about me being an atheist. He hanged around and 'holy' water kept dripping on my floors making a puddle as I was telling him im happy and that i dont feel like talking being worried that hes gonna ruin my floors which are pretty much the only new things in the house and we have no money to replace them.

I was “sofa surfing” as the slang term goes for several months a bit less than twenty years ago, I never had to sleep rough in the outdoors though.

I don't think that's considered homeless, but I'm not sure.

It's homelessness but under a roof and with friends. If you don't own or rent a place, and you're not on a contract to keep from getting kicked out, you're pretty much homeless.

It's homelessness but under a roof and with friends. If you don't own or rent a place, and you're not on a contract to keep from getting kicked out, you're pretty much homeless.

But it's certainly not what's meant when people speak of the homeless.

In the UK, sofa surfing/not having a permanent, settled address is classed as homelessness.

It's not uncommon to believe that homelessness means sleeping rough, but the rough sleeping/homeless population only makes up a small percentage of homeless statistics in the UK.

Well, in the UK anyone who is of “No Fixed Abode” is counted as homeless for legal, statistical and welfare purposes (you get lower benefits because you don’t have rent & bills to pay: it was £11 a week for a single male in 2002 [equivalent of $23.06US today correcting for inflation]). I was cycling round several different peoples houses because none of them could put up with me for more than three days in a row! (I was very angry, bitter and self-involved at that point)

Why ask if I’d been homeless though?

New Threads

Top Bottom