• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is this an ASD thing or an anxiety thing?

katiediddy

I have the tendency to replay and analyze all of my interactions and behavior each day. Is this an ASD thing or more related to anxiety or possibly something else?

Does this happen to anyone else?

I do this too but I don't know what it is. I just associate it as part of the social anxiety aspect of Aspergers.

A girl with Aspergers trying to figure it out

Yes. I find myself replaying conversations in my head, at the end of the day. Its part of my daily checks and balance. It is definitely an anxiety based behavior. However anxiety is a distinct part of AS, so without a professional opionion, pretty hard to determine, if theyre 2 separate entities.

Cheers
Turk

Last edited:
Me too...but usually only when I perceive something to have gone wrong with a conversation.

Sorry I don't know but I think it's interesting that I do the same thing, like I need to get it right, or what could I have done different type thing.

I have this all the time. Even from interactions that happened years ago. Even when things went OK I still don't feel good about it.

I have the tendency to replay and analyze all of my interactions and behavior each day. Is this an ASD thing or more related to anxiety or possibly something else?

I do this sometimes. I think "normal" people replay stuff too, but it's usually for major stuff or once in awhile, while we are more likely to do it for just about everything.

Being unsure of oneself, leads to critical self analysis. I am no professional, but have seen this world for over 60 years and have seen many people being unsure of themselves. I think, its lack of confidence and environmental factors leading up to our adulthood.I have been a very confident individual, but in my weaker moments, I can be as unsure of myself as anyone else.. This is "nature" we all have ups and downs in life..Lets not associate natural responses to AS....

I AM a professional. The answer is it's part of Asperger's and I'll post more later to show you what PROVES it.

I am sure, as a professional, you can educate us all.. I am NT and support my son with AS..My observations are based on various behaviors that are common, both, with AS and NT .. However NT,s have a greater ability to control and manage, depression, anxiety, anger, fear so on and so forth....

Amazon.com: 22 Things a Woman with Asperger's Syndrome Wants Her Partner to Know eBook: Rudy Simone, Emma Rios, Anthony Attwood: Kindle Store

Hey! Everyone, thanks for your patience. This is the fastest way I can show u proof. If u go to that book linked above and look inside the book and click on the cover section of this digital sample. Then scroll down to the table of context. Check out the name of chapter 5 you'll see it. I knew this before the book was published but, when I spoke to Rudy Simone live. I'm a friend of hers. She told me she learned it from Tony Attwood. If you don't know Rudy Simone or Tony Attwood you need to do a little research on them or trust me. Within the Aspie world there HUGE. Rudy is an aspie and I consider Tony Attwood the NT ( NT is neuro- typical meaning an individual off the spectrum/ with no neurological or neurobiological sp. Needs- diagnosed or not) King of aspie research, etc. By the way, The 22 Things book I linked above is my third most recommended very highly book on the subject of ASD. And I'm not the only one who thinks this either. Until I spoke to Rudy at that point, I suspected that Aspie's might be shown as having proved to being the most critical people on the planet however, I didn't have any hard-core scientific proof it was, until she told me then. So, I understand ( and not just because of this) if this is new news to you. Bye the way, I reviewed the book on amazon too.

As for your last statement GHA, I can see why u would say that from an NT perspective. All though that is often kinda or defiantly true it's important to note that, that can be and sometimes regularly quite the reverse. As it is with me, and several other Aspies regularly. We think a different brain language. Things aren't often what they would seam in an NT world for them to be true for an NT. You nore anyone should ever think that it's bad that it's an aspie trait. In some ways, it's actually awesome, that it is! We can, and do, solve things and see things automatically and super easy at times, that NT's often miss, without us. NT's are better at some things, and were better at THAT!

My fourth or fifth sentence above doesn't make sense, I'm sorry, let me try again. I'll also rephrase a little of the other part above as well. I'm dyslexic too. What is typically or sometimes true for an NT often if not always is different for an aspie. Due to our differences. Some of which are real assets. Or atleast, sometimes, they can be.

I have read the books and many more too..Yes, Aspies, different ways of perceiving things can be an asset at times. I don't want to debate this subject any further. I would, however say; my son is an aspie and he is a far better human being than I can ever be...

Oh, yes. I think it is part of the way we process (or rather over-process) experiences that we don't understand intuitively. And social interactions are, for the most part, not intuitive to people on the spectrum. I will do this so obsessively I liken it to a film director who conducts multiple "takes" of a scene in a film. I really think I should have gone into film editing.

I think this is basic to Asperger's because whether we're aware of it or not, even as young children we sense that we're dealing with an alien (to us) set of people and circumstances. We're born into a world dominated by people who are obsessed by a social hierarchy and are reminded constantly that we must conform to social expectations - or be considered defective, bad or even not really human.

Society dictates acceptable behavior. Social exchange isn't about transferring information, it's a cruel game of intimidation and social climbing. Aspies are not like this! We want social exchange for meaningful discussion and sharing of knowledge. Social humans are desperate for attention and don't care how they get it or who they hurt. As children, Aspies are treated badly by social typicals and quickly absorb (we are intelligent) that we have said or done things for which we are rejected; anxiety is the result of this pattern. Going over the day's interaction with people is a way of assuring oneself that we didn't "do something wrong." Or that we did.

New Threads

Top Bottom