• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is there a ND sleeping habit?

jeffry7

So I can only sleep in one of two positions. I sleep on my stomach with one leg sticking out at an angle. I hold a pillow under my arm on the side that the leg is sticking out. It doesn't have to be a particular pillow, but I have one I have beaten into shape over the years that I prefer. The two positions differ by which leg I favor.

I can't sleep in other positions. On my back or on my side, forget it. I can't sleep on planes or buses. The only time I can remember sleeping in a different position was because I was exhausted. But if I am merely tired, I need to get into the right position.

If I do that, I am usually asleep in a few minutes.

Is this something folks here can relate to?

To be honest I think many if not most people have 1 or a couple of positions they sleep in and anything else is uncomfortable. I'm a tummy sleeper, either straight with my arms beneath my chest of with one arm and leg tucked over a pillow. Various injuries over the years have forced me to sleep on my back or sides and even when exhausted I never sleep as well, though having a pillow resting on my front helps.

You seem to describe exactly the way I sleep. Although I wish I could sleep like this. They look so comfortable and deeply asleep!

Dog-Sleeping-Large-.jpg

Last edited:
When I was younger I slept on my back, arms to my side and wouldn't move all night. Can't lay on my back now, so I have to sleep on my side.

Research says sleeping on your side lowers heart rate and blood pressure, and reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. Whether this is accurate or not, who knows. I have to do what is most comfortable for me.

A long time ago I also remembered an article and study that said right-side sleepers could increase the number of years one lived by as much as several years. I have yet to find again that article, but it seems to make some sense.

Personally, I cannot sleep on my stomach or back. Very uncomfortable. Our youngest Autistic son sleeps on his stomach; our oldest who looks more like me, his side too. Regardless of preference, I hope you all sleep as well as can be.

I get very erratic sleep because our youngest refuses to sleep in any other room but mine. He has adhd, besides his Autism, and wakes up after four hours, tosses and turns like a floundering fish for hours, and cannot get back to bed til three hours later. He has a bed next to mine and disturbs my sleep.

I cannot sleep in my wife’s room as she has adhd issues too, and goes to bed very very late, and has worse sleep problems than him because of not only her hyperactive body and mind, but also because of tardiness dyskinesia that affects her limbs with uncontrollable muscle spasms there.

Admittedly, I am not thrilled by this, but neither are they. I have a hard time falling back to sleep once that son awakens. I cannot get up as that would awaken our other son, so I stay awake and motionless for hours hoping our youngest child will not hear any sound, get bored, get sleepy again, then go back to bed. Unfortunately, that is not how things work for him.

spectral-tarsier.jpg

Sleep habits have some correlation to your position on the food chain. So I would say in general I sleep poorly.

I always sleep on one side or the other. Usually start of the night on my right side, with a Chihuahua in my right arm pit. After about a hour or two, I turn over to my left side with said Chihuahua curled in the small of my back. Another Chihuahua sleeps pressed against my legs, no matter which side that I sleep on. The other three sleep with my wife. It is a good thing that we have a king sized bed. You haven't lived until you have had a dog fight on your bed at 2:00 AM.

I always sleep on one side or the other. Usually start of the night on my right side, with a Chihuahua in my right arm pit. After about a hour or two, I turn over to my left side with said Chihuahua curled in the small of my back. Another Chihuahua sleeps pressed against my legs, no matter which side that I sleep on. The other three sleep with my wife. It is a good thing that we have a king sized bed. You haven't lived until you have had a dog fight on your bed at 2:00 AM.

Currently, mine aren't allowed in until my wife has left for work in the morning, but then I have two pressed against me on one side and two on the other. To change sides I must kind of lift myself up, reverse and then insert myself back down carefully. :D

I sleep on my stomach with one leg sticking out at an angle. I hold a pillow under my arm on the side that the leg is sticking out. It doesn't have to be a particular pillow, but I have one I have beaten into shape over the years that I prefer.

It's like I wrote this.

Generally, I sleep fairly well. I used to sleep on my front, but I changed that as I have neck problems from time to time, so I try my best to sleep on my back - but I have a propensity to snore on this position which doesn't go down will with my girlfriends, so then I try to sleep on my side which gives me neck problems. I'm going to try and sleep standing-up next :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

If i'm particularly stressed with something, I will wake up after an hour or so and struggle to get back to sleep promptly, sometimes I will get up and try to write my thoughts down on paper to try to ease my worries slightly.

I sleep on my back or on my side. Doesn’t matter which side. I usually start out on my back with a cat on top of me, then roll on my side when she has decided it’s time to move.

I read that sleeping on my back is the best for the spine, so i try to do that though its hard, but now its acceptable and comfortable after a while of doing it. I can't do it on my tummy anymore because my scoliosis hurts like that and its the worse position for spine. I used to only be able to sleep on my tummy, exactly like you described.

I think that EVERYONE has certain positions and a routine they do before sleeping. I usually brush my teeth, and curl up with my dog on the left side. It usually puts me right out, but for how long is the question? Haha

I sleep either curled tight on my left side or lying flat on my front with my head turned to the left, legs straight but arms tucked up by my head, depending on how my hips are feeling (if they're sore, they don't like the curled-up position). I dread the day I have to have hip surgery because I like to curl up so much, I spend most of my sitting time with my knees pulled up to my chest as well. I often change positions when I wake up during the night (chronic insomnia, with trouble both getting to sleep and staying asleep) and may switch sides or curl or un-curl, but I always start on my left or my front. Also I never at any point sleep on my back - don't know why, but I can't get to sleep like that.

So I can only sleep in one of two positions. I sleep on my stomach with one leg sticking out at an angle. I hold a pillow under my arm on the side that the leg is sticking out. It doesn't have to be a particular pillow, but I have one I have beaten into shape over the years that I prefer. The two positions differ by which leg I favor.

I can't sleep in other positions. On my back or on my side, forget it. I can't sleep on planes or buses. The only time I can remember sleeping in a different position was because I was exhausted. But if I am merely tired, I need to get into the right position.

If I do that, I am usually asleep in a few minutes.

Is this something folks here can relate to?

I generally sleep best on my left side with my head elevated However, I can not sleep any longer than one or two hours without waking up. I get up two or three times every night, and never sleep longer than 5 or 6 hours any night. My cousin has a son who is autistic, and he has the same issues sleeping that I do. His parents give him CBD oil to get him to sleep.

I take magnesium glycinate, magnesium carbonate, L-theanine and melatonin, and this helps minimally. Do any of you have these sorts of issues?

Last edited:
I generally sleep best on my left side with my head elevated However, I can not sleep any longer than one or two hours without waking up. I get up two or three times every night, and never sleep longer than 5 or 6 hours any night. My cousin has a son who is autistic, and he has the same issues sleeping that I do. His parents give him CBD oil to get him to sleep.

I take magnesium glycinate, magnesium carbonate, L-theanine and melatonin, and this helps minimally. Do any of you have these sorts of issues?
I don't have the staying asleep issue as bad as you. When i started Welbutrin, it would sometimes cause me to wake up and not be able to go to sleep again.

I also have sleep apnea. Do you snore?

New Threads

Top Bottom