• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is there a name for the imaginary internal worlds we tend to retreat into?

Does plotting out upcoming novels in my head count? In fan fiction world, these stories that demand telling, in your head or in writing, are called plot bunnies. I love that term!

I used to be able to daydream so easily - I could happily go hours and I loved it. Unfortunately, once I settled into a daily writing routine, I lost most of that ability. Now all my plot bunnies are leashed and caged and perform on command, so they don't visit for funsies anymore. Once or twice a year, I take a few weeks off from scheduled writing so I can free the bunnies and generate future book ideas. I miss that freedom, but I like being productive more.

I saw nothing harsh or condescending in @Mary Terry ‘s post. It was a fair and appropriate response to your message, which was harsh and condescending. Saying that people who aren’t autistic plaster fake smiles on their faces with natural ease, have no imagination, and can’t be alone in their minds…come on. Go back and read your message before you tell Mary to “settle down.”

I’d also like to point out that we often contradict ourselves on this forum. One minute we are, for example, talking about how autistic people have extraordinarily rich imaginations (a generalized statement that’s false), and the next we’re insisting that every autistic person is different. Many, many, many autistic people have an average imagination or no imagination at all—and tons of non-autistic people have tremendous imaginations. I can’t think of a single autistic writer or artist or musician off the top of my head, for instance. Even if I could, all of my favorite ones are NTs.

My point is: we’re not special, we’re not amazing, we’re not better or more gifted. Most of us don’t like being put in a box or stereotyped, so we should be careful not to do the same when it comes to people who are not autistic.

I can take you to visit several places chock full of autistic writers - we even have dedicated writing groups! My favorite was the nice middle-aged lady who wrote best-selling zombie romances.

I can take you to visit several places chock full of autistic writers - we even have dedicated writing groups! My favorite was the nice middle-aged lady who wrote best-selling zombie romances.

I believe you. I’m a writer myself. My point was that NT people are plenty creative and imaginative, not that autistic people don’t write. :)

Do you promise to take Rosie to be your lawfully wedded wife until death do you p--*
Wait, never mind.

She used to tell such great stories about meeting fans and going to conventions. Someone wanted her to go to their zombie themed wedding.

I saw nothing harsh or condescending in @Mary Terry ‘s post. It was a fair and appropriate response to your message, which was harsh and condescending. Saying that people who aren’t autistic plaster fake smiles on their faces with natural ease, have no imagination, and can’t be alone in their minds…come on. Go back and read your message before you tell Mary to “settle down.”

I’d also like to point out that we often contradict ourselves on this forum. One minute we are, for example, talking about how autistic people have extraordinarily rich imaginations (a generalized statement that’s false), and the next we’re insisting that every autistic person is different. Many, many, many autistic people have an average imagination or no imagination at all—and tons of non-autistic people have tremendous imaginations. I can’t think of a single autistic writer or artist or musician off the top of my head, for instance. Even if I could, all of my favorite ones are NTs.

My point is: we’re not special, we’re not amazing, we’re not better or more gifted. Most of us don’t like being put in a box or stereotyped, so we should be careful not to do the same when it comes to people who are not autistic.
And you just put me in a box. Ignored.

New Threads

Top Bottom