• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The term "Aspie" --is it offensive? What do you call yourself?

"Aspie" - is it an acceptable term? (Up to 2 responses)

• Yes it's fine

• I don't mind it but it's out of date

• I wouldn't use it but I don't mind it if others do

• I find it a bit in poor taste

• I find it personally offensive

• I find it offensive to all autistic people

Results are only viewable after voting.
What I have thought was kind of cut and dried, is now up in the air on this new information.
Sprinkle in a 1/4 cup of "through the roof" SPS scores,
some "blew it out of the water" scores on empathy tests(not, however, the facial, emotional recognition, picture test. Haven't taken or found it, or even looked for it, yet.)
Add a dash of the visual/audio distortions(snow, etc.,), a pinch of synesthesia, not to mention, a highly developed sense of kinesthesia.

In many ways, it feels as though I've intellectualized or self-taught cognitive empathy, to the point of it's feeling intuitive.

I definitely remember being horrified/dumbfounded at my first day at kindergarten.
As I've related before, elsewhere, I felt as though everyone there had gone stark, raving mad, like some Star Trek TOS episode.
I remember having no idea about these "emotions" that were causing such unpredictable, abstract, conflicting interplays between the children, the teachers, everyone.
Almost like it was my first exposure to personalities, egos.
So utterly confusing, and yes, even scary.

It turns out that I'm finally learning about myself, at 48, 49 yrs old.

This could take years, if left to myself to fumble about with it.

These are entirely new ways to study the brain and the mind, to me.

I'd call it a rabbithole, but I feel decidedly "Zefram Cochrane-ish", about it , really.
:)

I managed to get 3 whole videos out of the way many autistics process cognitive empathy so it can often seem instinctive, if you remember @sidd851 ;)

I managed to get 3 whole videos out of the way many autistics process cognitive empathy so it can often seem instinctive, if you remember @sidd851 ;)
I was coming to grasp with the basics, and so hadn't really been able to grasp it's importance--- or experience, fully, yet.

Science is the organization of information, and the use of, manipulation and reorganization of, that information, to deduce yet more information.

I'm afraid that I wasn't that organized, yet.
:)

I definitely will be.

I think it's about time to rewatch your videos, as well.
;)

"Theory theory"
Very meta...
full

@Autistamatic , sorry to have gotten so far afield, here. The right thing would have been to have started a thread--- I'm sorry.
Sometimes my curiosity gets the better of me.

Not a problem to me mate ;) Conversations tend to wander, especially on here :) I find it ALL interesting. I love the diversity of opinion and openness in this community, so when we go off topic it sometimes brings up fascinating ideas to explore. As long as we keep within forum rules I personally don't mind the diversions.

I was just expressing my own preference and that I relate to the term "Aspie" and/or Aspergers and someone asked me to clarify what I meant by that thoughtless classification I made - "classic Aspergers" .
This was me. It was useful to see it stated, thank you. It's not the first time I have seen the term, but the first time I've seen it so detailed in description.

scientific findings that I thought might illustrate some neurological differences, because I think it's helpful to have distinctions and scientific findings that supports the perspective that there ARE those differences and distinctions
I just found the study. I really wish they (news site writers) would link it directly when writing about it, it's completely open access:

The relationship of Asperger’s syndrome to autism: a preliminary EEG coherence study

It's a preliminary study with a sample size of only 26. They state the limitations of this very clearly. It's unfortunate that secondary reporting of science articles almost always fail to mention the limitations, and almost always overstate the findings. In my opinion, this is incredibly misleading, and contributes a great deal to science scepticism.

In my family, there are stark contrasts between my "Autistic" son and my "Aspergers" father and myself and sister etc.

Was I trying to include everyone? I couldn't possibly.
The problem is, there doesn't seem to be a clear dividing line when including everyone, not just your direct family. The vast majority of the autism spectrum is in neither category you have created. There are a lot of differences within the autism spectrum, so it does seem like a fairly meaningless label currently. Hopefully with time, there will be more meaningful distinctions. Asperger's was not considered to be one, due to inconsistencies in its definition, and difficulties separating it from "high functioning autism". There's many journal articles about this.

I see stark differences between myself and both the stereotypical "classic Asperger's" and "classic autism". I resemble neither. So it does interest me, when someone sees Asperger's as separate from autism (including "HFA"), just how do they see me and others with different presentations?

What services are applicable to someone like you, me, or others who are "high functioning"?

if I tell people I'm "Autistic" and they think I'm cognitively impaired, as my son is
Have you not found assumptions surrounding the term "Asperger's"? The amount of assumptions it carries has led to me putting together a document, based on my own thoughts and inputs from people here, should a situation occur where it would be useful to disclose. It's still a work in progress. What has your experience been?

THAT is more accurately encapsulated by the term " Aspergers", or "Aspie" in my personal opinion
I agree. It is a narrower label, which I fit, excluding stereotypes made when distinguishing it from "autism".

Last edited:
Not a problem to me mate ;) Conversations tend to wander, especially on here :) I find it ALL interesting. I love the diversity of opinion and openness in this community, so when we go off topic it sometimes brings up fascinating ideas to explore. As long as we keep within forum rules I personally don't mind the diversions.
I rather like the freedom, myself.

I find that the most interesting conversation has no set destination.

May be a handful for the mods, though.

As long as everyone realizes that I meant no offense.

And, @Crossbreed has kindly relocated the discussion on ASD, Asynchronous Development, and 2E. I'd invite anyone interested to also feel free to post there.:)

This was me. It was useful to see it stated, thank you. It's not the first time I have seen the term, but the first time I've seen it so detailed in description.

I just found the study. I really wish they (news site writers) would link it directly when writing about it, it's completely open access:

The relationship of Asperger’s syndrome to autism: a preliminary EEG coherence study

It's a preliminary study with a sample size of only 26. They state the limitations of this very clearly. It's unfortunate that secondary reporting of science articles almost always fail to mention the limitations, and almost always overstate the findings. In my opinion, this is incredibly misleading, and contributes a great deal to science scepticism.

The problem is, there doesn't seem to be a clear dividing line when including everyone, not just your direct family. The vast majority of the autism spectrum is in neither category you have created. There are a lot of differences within the autism spectrum, so it does seem like a fairly meaningless label currently. Hopefully with time, there will be more meaningful distinctions. Asperger's was not considered to be one, due to inconsistencies in its definition, and difficulties separating it from "high functioning autism". There's many journal articles about this.

I see stark differences between myself and both the stereotypical "classic Asperger's" and "classic autism". I resemble neither. So it does interest me, when someone sees Asperger's as separate from autism (including "HFA"), just how do they see me and others with different presentations?

What services are applicable to someone like you, me, or others who are "high functioning"?

Have you not found assumptions surrounding the term "Asperger's"? The amount of assumptions it carries has led to me putting together a document, based on my own thoughts and inputs from people here, should a situation occur where it would be useful to disclose. It's still a work in progress. What has your experience been?

I agree. It is a narrower label, which I fit, excluding stereotypes made when distinguishing it from "autism".

It's not at all that I see it as separate, it's simply that I like the term "Aspie" and find it a comfortable fit. I didn't, until I started to research "Women on the Spectrum" and/or Women with Aspergers.

I was repeatedly told I couldn't possibly be Autistic, due to my "empathy" or my "warmth" and that "everything I was describing could be explained and attributed to the trauma I have experienced", all of which left me dissatisfied, and feeling a disquieting sense of wrongness.

So I started to research for myself; and all the things, just about everything, these Aspie women or "Aspergirls" described, were describing something so totally familiar and applicable to me, and it was comforting, because, I've basically, become a recluse and I couldn't even handle the neighbors coming over, nor would I seek out any company, even my children, and it was distressing me.

I tried to explain that I learnt the social skills, at great pains, over many, many years and that I don't beleive people on the spectrum have no empathy, but, unfortunately, for me, the co-morbity of complex trauma, means that my "symptoms" are muddied by PTSD, which is another common thing for women on the spectrum to develop.

As for your comment on services, yeah, I guess I was responding to Autismatic, re the diagnosis being changed for diagnosis purposes.

I find it frustrating, because discovering my Autism/Aspieismness has been incredibly helpful and clarifying, in helping me understand myself and come to terms with my limitations and my strengths.

I've been able to access services due to other comorbities, but getting a diagnosis won't do anything towards that.

I went out and bought every book on Women on the spectrum, Girls and women with Aspergers, I could find.

I'm waiting on the one edited by Tony Attwood and Temple Grandin. And I'm finding ALL of it incredibly helpful.

If anyone is interested, here is a report on Australian Women on the Spectrum and the difficulties we are encountering. A lot of the problems mentioned are one's that I have had to deal with.

Attachments

• Autistic-Women (1).pdf
    354.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm surprised.
I think of the U.K., and Australia, as being lightyears ahead of we, here in the states.
I know, I know, in many ways you are, but the lack of support there seems to rival that for HFA1's here.
Seems the U.K. has a leg up on both of us.
I'm still figuring this mess out.
Did find out that the ADOS II will be used to evaluate me. I'm concerned, in that I seem to have a highly developed mask, and high empathic tendencies--- I seem to have a highly cognized... camouflage.
There is another diagnostic tool, that I think will help, the GADC.
I've been meaning to hit @Crossbreed up about this.

A Unique Challenge: Sorting Out the Differences Between Giftedness and Asperger’s Disorder

All we can do is keep trudging along, trying to make progress on the many active fronts, I suppose.

Know that you're in my thoughts and meditations, Nauti, @55853 , and all.
It's been a bit appalling actually, how the new NDIS has neglected to accomodate people on the spectrum and how the NDIA (National Disability Insurance Agency) has responded to the Autistic members of our country, and their families.

Even people with clear cut high needs are being treated dismissively, from what I've read and those I've spoken to.

I was very proactive for my son, and because things had gotton so bad for him, and I had enlisted "Mental Health" (which is an oxymoronic title for our local, public, mental illness org.) we had managed to, collectively, glean a high level of services for him, prior to the NDIS coming into play, and luckily, without an Autism diagnosis, (he still doesn't have one) because, it wouldn't have helped him any.

Sorry @Autismatic, I seem to have totally derailed this thread. I'll stop now.

BTW, I've been following the thread and you guys are hilarious! Giftbergers :laugh: my guy and I had a chuckle at that one, too.

Last edited:
It's been a bit appalling actually, how the new NDIS has neglected to accomodate people on the spectrum and how the NDIA (Natuonal Disability Insurance Agency) has responded to the Autistic members of our country, and their families.

Even people with clear cut high needs are being treated dismissively, from what I've read and those I've spoken to.

I was very proactive for my son, and because things had gotton so bad for him, and I had enlisted "Mental Health" (which is an oxymoronic title for our local, public, mental illness org.) we had managed to, collectively, glean a high level of services for him prior to the NDIS coming into play, and luckily, without an Autism diagnosis (he still doesn't have one) because it wouldn't have helped him any.

Sorry @Autismatic, I sem to have totally derailed this thread. I'll stop now.

BTW, I've been following the thread and you guys are hilarious! Giftbergers :laugh: my guy and I had a chuckle at that one, too.
Since you mentioned it, I'll invite you to take a look at the ASD/Asynchronous Development/2E thread that @Crossbreed
Split, linked above.

I'd love to hear your input.

I don't have an official diagnosis though the friend who steered me towards making a self-diagnosis was diagnosed as Asperger's herself and still uses the term. In all honesty I just like the look and sound of the word Aspie more than Autie but IRL I don't have much occasion to actually label myself that way. I don't introduce myself that way but to the few friends and family I told of my self diagnosis I explained the current state of Asperger's being obsolete and the concept of ASD1 but I don't like ASD as it has the word disorder in it. I am shifting slightly to using the term autistic but I just like they way aspie sounds non-medical.

It's not at all that I see it as separate, it's simply that I like the term "Aspie" and find it a comfortable fit. I didn't, until I started to research "Women on the Spectrum" and/or Women with Aspergers.

I was repeatedly told I couldn't possibly be Autistic, due to my "empathy" or my "warmth" and that "everything I was describing could be explained and attributed to the trauma I have experienced", all of which left me dissatisfied, and feeling a disquieting sense of wrongness.

So I started to research for myself; and all the things, just about everything, these Aspie women or "Aspergirls" described, were describing something so totally familiar and applicable to me, and it was comforting, because, I've basically, become a recluse and I couldn't even handle the neighbors coming over, nor would I seek out any company, even my children, and it was distressing me.

I tried to explain that I learnt the social skills, at great pains, over many, many years and that I don't beleive people on the spectrum have no empathy, but, unfortunately, for me, the co-morbity of complex trauma, means that my "symptoms" are muddied by PTSD, which is another common thing for women on the spectrum to develop.

As for your comment on services, yeah, I guess I was responding to Autismatic, re the diagnosis being changed for diagnosis purposes.

I find it frustrating, because discovering my Autism/Aspieismness has been incredibly helpful and clarifying, in helping me understand myself and come to terms with my limitations and my strengths.

I've been able to access services due to other comorbities, but getting a diagnosis won't do anything towards that.

I went out and bought every book on Women on the spectrum, Girls and women with Aspergers, I could find.

I'm waiting on the one edited by Tony Attwood and Temple Grande. And I'm finding ALL of it incredibly helpful.

If anyone is interested, here is a report on Australian Women on the Spectrum and the difficulties we are encountering. A lot of the problems mentioned are one's that I have had to deal with.
"Aspieismness".

You guys are awesome!

Loved @Crossbreed 's kid calling it
"the 'tism"!
:p:p:p

What are some more euphemisms for "Aspie"?
Are they offensive?

It's not at all that I see it as separate
My mistake, there exists people who do see HFA and AS as two separate and distinct conditions. I don't know what these people think about everyone else "high functioning".

I didn't, until I started to research "Women on the Spectrum" and/or Women with Aspergers.

So I started to research for myself; and all the things, just about everything, these Aspie women or "Aspergirls" described, were describing something so totally familiar and applicable to me
This may be why our opinions are different. I can see why I've been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. I can relate to some experiences of others with the diagnosis. But I have not come across a single person whose presentation of ASD is like mine. The "classic Aspie", the "female Asperger's", and the "classic autism" stereotypes are all far more different to me than similar. This may be why I've not felt attachment to any label.

New Threads

Top Bottom